got into a car accident and i dont know what to do...=\

YvetteJeannine

He is trying to SCAM YOU..plain and simple. Did you call the police?? Because (and I hate to sound like I'm trying to be manipulative), if you didn't call the police, there is NO EVIDENCE of an accident.

Hey, HE was the one who didn't want to exchange insurance info...(and if you didn't do that, then obviously you didn't call the cops)...So, HIS tough luck. He is trying to pull a fast one on you.

Here's what I would do...and yes...it may sound a little dishonest, but if you don't do this, this guy will take you for a 'ride'...pure and simple....Ignore his calls. Just...ignore them. If he is persistent, you get on the phone with him and say "I'm sorry...I don't know what you're talking about..I have NO recollection of ever being in an accident with you"..Then you HANG UP.

Dishonest? Maybe...but remember, it was YOU who did the right thing, and HE didn't want to give his info. over....that's because (and trust me on this one) he knew EXACTLY what he wanted to do to you from the get-go.

If there was no damage to your vehicle, or his....don't worry about it...and get that plate off your car too (the dealership plate).

Believe me, you CANNOT get in trouble....NO police were notified...it's HIS word against yours, and since he is trying to scam you, he'll most likely drop it when he doesn't get what he's looking for.

There are people like this all over...that's why YOU have to really look out for yourself.

If there WAS damage needed fixing, HE wouldn't be calling you...his (or your) insurance company would...What he's doing is illegal.

Don't say another word to him in admission of the accident...You need to do just what I said....Hopefully he'll just go away when he realizes you aren't taking the bait. Good luck.

PS: If he remains steadfast on persuing this, or he threatens with a lawsuit, you keep your ground and don't ADMIT A THING. Then, tell him to call your insurance company...I guarantee he will drop it because he won't want HIS insurance rates going up....He's just trying to make a quick buck off of what he thinks is a naive girl. If you were a man, I can guarantee he wouldn't be doing this. Don't let him make you one of his victims.

MiCHiE

Don't ignore him. And, I only say this because if the police would've been called, you most likely would've been cited. And, if there's an imprint of 'CARSON' on the back of his vehicle, I would consider it damage (if it were my car). If it happened to me, I would want something done. Yes, you could remove the plate and act like it never happened, but if he's trying to scam him, you could always one-up him and do things the right way if you're worried about your conscience. For one, have him get 3 estimates and you pay for the cheapest one. But, don't you pay him.....make that check out to the body shop ONLY.

meiming

I agree...even if you do end up paying...have the check written to the shop. I 've heard of others asking the person to take it to a mechanic they trust to give a real quote. (ya know, just in case the body shop guy is his "friend") But if he hassles you and acts too shady himself you may just have to ignore him. Does he have your license plate number or home address or anything?

eastsidesunset

Please please please if this (or something like it) ever happens again, call the police. Doesn't matter if there's no visible damage, you have to protect yourself by getting a record of what happened. Also, if you happen to have a camera phone or digital camera with you when an accident happens, no matter what, take pictures of both your car and the other car involved (but make sure to turn the time/date stamp on your camera).

bebs

also.. make sure you go to the body shop and ask them about it. pay there not anywhere else

I have know people not the most honest people on earth but they can print out information.. looks completely ligament .. recepts and everything but they are nothing but fake.

the reason I'm saying this is.. you want to call and talk to them. make sure to do to go to at least 3 places like said earlier. do not give him the money directly like said before.

and if he doesnt do as you said, report him to the police and tell them what happened.. you do not have to report an accedent but if he got your info and you didnt get his, you can site him for that on something (I would have called the cops on that point) but tell the truth, dont let your self get pushed around is all I can say.

call a few friends and ask them for a few good auto shops.. and if he doesnt still agree.. refer the guy to your insurence company and let them sort it out, that way he'll also have to report it to his.

YvetteJeannine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥MiCHiE♥
Don't ignore him. And, I only say this because if the police would've been called, you most likely would've been cited. And, if there's an imprint of 'CARSON' on the back of his vehicle, I would consider it damage (if it were my car). If it happened to me, I would want something done. Yes, you could remove the plate and act like it never happened, but if he's trying to scam him, you could always one-up him and do things the right way if you're worried about your conscience. For one, have him get 3 estimates and you pay for the cheapest one. But, don't you pay him.....make that check out to the body shop ONLY.

True...If it were my car, I would also want something done about it...but, as she says, HE didn't want to notify police or insurance....that rings loud bells of a scam artist. I've seen this done several times...there are many
people out there that make a living out of this sort of thing preying on naive people...Ever hear of a "Swoop and Squat" scam....For all she knows, this could be it; sure sounds like it has the makings of it to me..And even if this wasn't one of those scams, the guy is still trying to profit from it. Yes...she DID hit his car...but she tried to do the right thing, and he is trying to pull the wool over her eyes.

As someone already said, ANY TIME an accident happens (even if it's just a fender-bender) call the police...that's the only record and protection you have; otherwise, someone could say they broke their back, etc.

If you really feel like you have to give into this guy, then you need to call your insurance company. Yes, your rates may go up....but there's nothing you can do about it....Hopefully, (since he's a con-artist) if he hears you want to involve insurance companies he'll go away.

Please, though....DON'T make a check out to any garage....I've seen cases where sometimes the accident 'victim' has a deal with the mechanic...goes like this: "You call the person who hit me and tell her it's gonna be $600 to fix my car, and I'll give you half of that"....It happens more than you would know.

On a side note, you really can't get in trouble with the police. It wasn't a "hit and run"....Yes, you ARE supposed to call them in the event of any accident, but they're not going to do anything to you now....You stopped....that is your civic and legal duty....If you ever had to speak with the police about anything (which is unlikely...if this guy didn't want to call them before, he won't want to now; and he knows he doesn't have a leg to stand on legally), you just tell them the truth; he was uncooperative with you...You've never been in this situation before...you didn't know. You won't get in trouble.

I still say you should tell the guy "too bad, so sad".....And I wouldn't say that if I really and truly thought he was some honest person....He's a guy trying to screw you over.....I personally wouldn't have another thought of HIS welfare, because he isn't thinking of yours. Nor does he care you are a young student and it may take you WEEKS to save up $500. But, do what you feel you must...just promise one thing.....if you DO want to do something about it, call your insurance co.....They will insure you get a fair deal all the way around, and send his car to an affiliated garage for a proper estimate....It's the best you can do in that situation, even though they may increase your rates......
Let us know what you decide to do!

smiles.gif

Raerae

It's not unfair to also ask him to go to a body shop of your choice thats near him, you could even meet him there, and get an additional estimate.

You might consider grabbing a phone book, and calling to ask them about how much it would cost to fill and paint a bumper. $500.00 doesn't seem all that high, but who knows, it could be like double what a real cost would be.

jillianjiggs

like others have said, tell him you are going to call the police to get it put on the record just in case, and/or that you will call your insurance company for whatever reason. (you dont have to do either, just 'threaten' it)

if he's a scammer, he will back off pretty quick! or make an endless list as to why you shouldn't do that and just give him the money. i dont think you should give him any money at all regardless. if he didnt want insurance involved then thats his problem - this is what insurance is for, so it doesnt come out of your own pocket (even though your rates will go up...) i dont know, i just wouldnt unless there was some real record of it instead of just a estimate he provides.

he sounds more in the wrong about how he is handling this than you, so dont be worried about a lawsuit. he doesnt have anything to sue about if there is no record of the accident. there is NO record whatsoever, by the police or insurance companies! so dont worry about that at ALL! dont let this guy pull your chain. he is a huge scammer. PLEASE do not give this guy your money!!!

i am still confused as to why you shared your information without getting his? you said you exchanged but later you said he has yours but you dont have his.

if anything else happens that makes you uneasy about him, i would call the police. if he has your information like your address, i would just...want someone to know that. (not trying to scare you!)

Shimmer

I would suspect he's a scammer and it was a 'swoop and squat' type thing, but I'm a suspicious individual.
I would tell him that if he can't meet me at the body shop to get the estimate and allow me to pay the shop directly, I can't help him.
He probably didn't want you to call the police because he doesn't have insurance and/or a valid license. If that's the case meh. I'd say hell with him. Except for that whole 'he knows where i live' part. o.0

user79

I think the bodyshop of your choice and getting an estimate with him there is the best, fairest, and safest idea. That way you won't have it on your conscience.

MxAxC-_ATTACK

Basically..YOU HIT HIS CAR..and you need to repair it.
500 bucks! thats an amazing deal on a bumper +color matching paint and labor. If he wants to take that 500 dollars and spend it on hamburgers,he can(he shouldn't but he can) . Otherwise he can just go to your insurance company, the shop will charge your insurance company $1,000 dollars because thats how body shops make money(off insurance), If he was a scammer he would certainly be asking for more than 500 dollars for repairs to his car...

I've been on his side of a situation like this before.

always file a police report . Always always always. If you don't, you get fucked.

~Valerie~

I just want to say thank you for posting this because I have learned a lot. I've never gotten in an accident before but if I ever do, I'll definitely know what to do/what not to do now. I'm sorry this happened to you and I hope it all works out! I think YvetteJeannine gave wonderful advice.

jillianjiggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxAxC-_ATTACK
Basically..YOU HIT HIS CAR..and you need to repair it.
500 bucks! thats an amazing deal on a bumper +color matching paint and labor. If he wants to take that 500 dollars and spend it on hamburgers,he can(he shouldn't but he can) . Otherwise he can just go to your insurance company, the shop will charge your insurance company $1,000 dollars because thats how body shops make money(off insurance), If he was a scammer he would certainly be asking for more than 500 dollars for repairs to his car...

I've been on his side of a situation like this before.

always file a police report . Always always always. If you don't, you get fucked.

except its not at all "basically you hit his car and you need to repair it" - the entire situation is sketchy and he doesnt want to follow proper procedure to get it fixed.

MiCHiE

I had a minor accident in NO and didn't call the police. Thank GOD a witness got in touch with my insurance company because the other driver hit me and was lying his ass off. Call the police every time.

MxAxC-_ATTACK

Its extremely important to call the cops EVERY time. I don't care if its only a scratch.

my boyfriend had a fairly damaging (to another car) accident in L.A , it was completely the other persons fault for trying to pass traffic in a bus only lane.
His only witness was his Cousin , which didn't work because your witnesses apparently cant be family , anyhow, no police report was filed, so the other guy got off the hook, and my boyfriends insurance went up. I rear ended someone and called the police, I didn't get a ticket or anything (I think this is why most people are worried about calling the police) I've filed several police reports, for hit and runs and vandalism in my apartment parking lot. Better safe than sorry.

dmenchi

oh, never giver him any money. i agree with the ladies above. stay calm , when ever you feel paniked by this just take a few breaths and think aboutn something positive.
now, why does hes has your insurance info and you don't have his??
also, it depends on the state your in. I live in FL which is a 'no -fault' state, this means that it doesn't matter who's fault it is your rate goes up! great for me as i was hit buy a bus driven by an illegal alien without a license and MY insurance had to pay and to make matters worse my rate went up to 300$ /month....it wasen't my fault at all he hit ME!! My damage repair was 1200$, his a headlight..but i could have paid the 1200$ myself considering that i paid 12 months 300$ monthly ( this makes me want to cry!!)
so please consider your local laws before making decisions like that!

xIxSkyDancerxIx

500 should be right actually.. If the bumper is damaged (since it has an imprint on it) it'll cost about that much to get it fixed, painted, and pay for labor. This is coming from my b/f who works with cars for a living.

It is kinda weird that he won't give you an estimate.. So just be firm that you really want one and tell him that you're not going to be sending him anything unless you get the papers. He probably doesn't want to go through insurance either so just be firm about what you want.

It doesn't matter if you write the check to him or not. If he has a really old and crappy car and doesn't want to get it fixed, than that's up to him to decide. No offense, but you did hit him and it was pretty much your fault, so it's pretty much his decision if he wants to fix the car or not (who knows, maybe he might need the money for other more important things than fixing his car).

But $500 is about right for fixing his bumper.. it would be a lot more if his suspensions were damaged and what not. So just make sure you let him know clearly that he's not getting his money until he coughs up the papers.
smiles.gif

Good luck sweetie and don't stress so much about it.

Latest posts