Graphic Design & Make-up

Bre

Any Graphic Designers out there?

I'm going to start studying G.D. next year and was wondering if anyone can compare it to Make-up for me? I'm a qualified MA but due to the inconsistancy of the business want to learn a new skill

I figure G.D. will complement my Make-up skills as I think they cross over with design, colour and creative techniques. Does anyone have experience in both and can confirm my thoughts?

lara

I started off as a GD/retoucher and shifted over to MU.

You're right, there's a lot of crossover with art & design principles, particularly colour and form. There's less artistry is GD though, so a lot of people who move from an art-based job to GD get really disheartened. Bear that in mind.
smiles.gif

Both jobs are inconsistant, though - there isn't much job stability in the design business unless you're attached to a major studio, and the wages are dependant on how strong your negotating skills are. MU work in AU is strong from November through to April/May then dies over winter, GD work picks up in June and dies right on Christmas. There isn't much crossover, so there's work in both fields more or less all year.