Great things to see & do in New York City! Any recommendations???

M.A.C_Addiction

Hey there!!!!
wavey.gif

Like every year, I will be visiting New York City. (I will be arriving this Thursday with my boyfriend)

Anywho, was wondering if anyone could recommend some great places to see or things to do. Also, I LOVE a good deal on clothes, make-up and things and wondering if someone could recommend any great outlets or stores or whatever!
smiles.gif

Thanks in advance!!!
lol.gif

NEW YORK CITY HERE I COME!!!!!!!!!! :dancey:​

Chic 2k6

Have a fab time! I'm going NYC in December for the 4th time possibly, here's my list of places that's worth visiting and a mini review hehe, this is based on my 3 visits so, anyone who knows NYC is welcome to add their bit
clap.gif

Rockefeller Center

In my opinion, RC is better than Empire State in terms of viewing, it's not so cramped, better viewing area as the protector is glass not grids. Best time to go would be around 1-4 on a Monday or mid-week when people are still at work. I went on a Monday around 4ish and it took 5 minutes to pay for ticket to the top of the Rockefeller, stunning views and if you time it right, you can watch the sun set over NYC
greengrin.gif
It's my fave place to go and def. worth the price
smiles.gif

Empire State Building

It's a good place to visit but so busy! If you plan to visit ESB, have a spare day as queues takes 2 hours to ticket office then another 2-3 hours to the observatory. Views are amazing but it is often ruined by other jostling people. It's the place to go where you can say that you've been up the ESB!

Woodsbury Common

WC is a shopping outlet of where you can get designer stuff for a discount (inc an CCO of discount MAC, Estee Lauder, Clinique etc..) it's a pretty place to visit with a nice selection of stores and restaurants as well as the stunning scenery. There's a lot of clothing outlets there such as Calvin Klein, Saks 5th Avenue, Banana Republic etc.. all on discounts. You can purchase tickets from the official tour guides people and board the bus at a coach station (or get the tickets at the ticket office in the station) You can generally find the station near Westin Hotel
smiles.gif

Times Square

Everyone knows that this is one of the famous sights of NYC, to get a birds eye view of Times Square, go into the Mariott Hotel where if you pay something like $7, you can go up to the revolving restuarant and see TS at a height (however i went into a normal restuarant in the hotel and still got a great view)

Statue of Liberty

I haven't been on the boat trip to SoL but best time to go is probs early morning to noon during the weekday as it's often quiet. You'd be on the boat ride right to SoL but you won't be going up it though since the 9/11 attacks. Security reasons really. The queues can get long so earlier the better, because there's queues to the ticket office then another one to get on the ferry

Area Around Statue of Liberty

In general, you walk through a park to get to SoL ticket office and you'll see a man feeding squirrels, and for a $1 tip, he'll give you several walnuts to feed the squirrels yourself, it's really good fun and the squirrels are adorable and funny
greengrin.gif
it's a unique way of remembering NYC
greengrin.gif

Broadway

the 2nd time i went, i was fortuanate enough to see The Lion King on Broadway. if you have a chance or time to see a Broadway show, do go and see one, there are some awesome selections of shows and a great experience of seeing Broadway at its best.

Central Park

One of the best ways of getting around Central Park is via horse and carraige. Although they don't seem like it, the drivers are quite chatty if you make the effort to chat to them and they'll point out famous places of where Crocodile Dundee & Ghostbusters was filmed and Woody Allen's house and the Central Park in general, horse and carraige rides are pricey so if you're on a budget then it's not for you. Walking around Central Park is fun as well, you can watch people on the ice rink (you could have a go!) admire the beautiful surroundings and lakes and nature in general. CP is absolutely huge so walk as much as you can if you're up to it!

Soho, Greenwich Village, Chinatown, Little Italy

These towns are all in walking distances to each other. Greenwich Village isn't really much to look at tbh, it's an artsy sorta place. Chinatown is hustle bustle of people selling stuff off their stalls and chinese restaurants. Beware of Little Italy as it can get a bit expensive in some cafes if you wish to stop for a hot/cold drink. SoHo is a nice town and if you're into MAC, visit them at Spring Street, there are some of the nicest MAs in there so it's worth a visit
greengrin.gif

FUN SHOPS

If you're a fan of fun shops visit:

M&Ms world - A new addition to Times Square and it's worth a visit, it's $9 for every pound of M&Ms of your choices, there's two huge wall of M&Ms on two floors from Peanut M&Ms to Chocolate to Crunchies. all in every colour imaginable too.

Yellow Rat Bastard - it's located in SoHo, and it's a shop that sells up to date clothing that's pretty cool and I'd say the clothings and accessories are unique and they're in the catergories of rock, punk, skater sort of styles but nonetheless it's worth checking! The name of the store itself came from Frank Miller's Sin City movie.

Toys R Us - You hear this name and think, oh it's just a store for children. Yes you're right but it is also appealing for older ages too. Inside they have a working full sized Ferris Wheel for people to ride on for coupla dollars i think. Throughout the store there are different displays to look at and brings out the inner kid in you including The Lost World section with a giant mechanical T-Rex. On one of the floors is a gaming/technology floor where all the new technology is seen there. When i went in December, i had a go on a PS3 months before it came to the UK, there are various games that i think you could pick up and work on the UK computers & consoles.

There are tonnes of great stores, i listed a favourite few, and places to eat out such as Hard Rock Cafe is worth visiting. I advise you to carry a bottle of water as you may get thirsty walking around

minerva

Reminiscence on 23rd street between 5th and 6th avenue has really quirky toys and very cute vintage clothing! Prices are super cheap, as well; make sure to check out their jewelery selection, as well as their shoes!

xmrsvindieselx

come visit me on long island hehe im kidding =]

but times square is funnn and you have to go to the hugeeee disney store..
and chinatown is great for all your " designer" stuff super cheap.. you can totally "haggle" with prices there too.. also i would check out madam taussauds.(sp?) wax museum or ripleys.. they are right by eachother and super fun
smiles.gif
smiles.gif

aziza

I love, love Yellow Rat Bastard!! Soho is a great place to be period. The makeup shopping is out of this world!

If you want to venture outside of the the city, Jamaica Ave. in Queens has great shopping too.

3jane

for good deals on designer clothes, check out Century 21-- it's right by ground zero. you get crazy discounts there

SingFrAbsoltion

^ def. century 21. i used to go to pace university which is like 2 blocks from there and i would always buy so much stuff haha

faifai

Well, I hear the Levain (sp?) Bakery makes amazing cookies, like world famous. Try to stop by if you have the chance!

minerva

There's always a crazy line at Magnolia Bakery; I never got the chance to try it, but you should definitely check it out, too!

MarieLisa_Smile

Awwwwwwwe, you lucky! My sister left Thursday morning and she's there now. I want to go there one day.. She asked me to go, but I start school they day they come back
ssad.gif
Have a safe trip. Take plenty pictures
smiles.gif

red

Ok
smiles.gif
for anyone else that's going

I love Spring Street.
Starting from 6th Avenue & walking down towards Broadway. You'll hit all the fun stores, Origins, Make up For Ever, our beloved Mac flagship store, and as soon as you turn that corner on Brodway there's Sephora, the Levi's store, H&M, Zara, and so much more
cheerleader.gif

Naturally, you have to hit Century 21
graucho.gif

Chic 2k6

I love the MAs at MAC Spring Street store, they're so sweet and awesome!

I agree on Century 21, i got some great stuff there, it's pretty sweet deal there.