Group Interview?? WTF?

NikkiHorror

I have a "group" interview with the Macy*s for their cosmetics dept. tomorrow at noon! I'm really excited but I've never been to a group interview before; what can I expect??

~LadyLocks~

Expect to be in a large room filled with other people that are going for the same job but, I'm my experience with group interviews...try to be one of the first ones to answer the questions even though you may be bullsh*ting. You have to be very competitive in these kinds of interviews. That's exactly what I did and ended up getting the job.

HTH and good luck!!

amoona

Did you already tell them you specifically want to work for MAC?! Because if not they'll put you at a different counter. MAC has a seperate interview process. Make sure you contact the MAC counter manager ASAP and let them know you're interested in working for MAC and only MAC.

STAND OUT! Always be that annoying girl who answers every question and be the first to answer every question.

MisStarrlight

Macy's group interviews are a joke, really....Chances are that you will be the only one there applying for cosmetics. They will have everyone fill out an application (even if you did it already) & then they will show you training brainwashing videos & then ask you what location you want to work at (since they will be interviewing for several locations/departments) and then they pull everyone for one on one interviews.
When I did mine, they asked what background I had w/ makeup & w/ retail, what lines I wanted to work for, usual interview questions & that was about it.
It wasn't the typical competitive nature that I've heard about most group interviews, so it was totally easy.

But this was my experience...if it turns out to be like a normal group interview, then I agree with everyone else above me.

NikkiHorror

Oh, Thank God!! If that is the way Macys usually does group interviews then I should be fine. I worked for Macys before, but I didn't even have to go through a real interview because I was on-call in cosmetics.

They don't have a MAC counter at this particular Macys, unfortunetly, so I'm just going to be applying for whatever they have available. I'd be really happy at Benefit, Chanel or Dior.

With Macys, if they feel you are qualified, do they usually hire you on the spot, make you wait a few days or do a second interview?

Thanks for all your help, guys! If you have any other advice, even if it sounds like common sense, lemme have it! I want, and I NEED to get this job!!

amoona

I worked for Macy's when I just turned 16 so this was almost 5 years ago. I was hired on the spot but it wasn't in cosmetics so it's different. My friend just got hired at Lancome and she said they made her do a demo. What they did was have her try to pull some random person and do a make-up application. IDK about other counters though.

prinzessin784

it's important to stand out but not be overly annoying by dominating the conversation or making it all about you. It's a trickly balancing act!

redambition

Quote:
Originally Posted by prinzessin784
it's important to stand out but not be overly annoying by dominating the conversation or making it all about you. It's a trickly balancing act!

this is very true. proper group interviews (not getting everyone in to fill out a form and then organise one on one times) tend to be run to see how candidates interact with their peers and how they could work as a team.

speak up and answer, don't be afraid to diplomatically stand up for youself if you have a good answer and another candidate is trying to tell you that you are wrong... and above all be yourself.

good luck!

NikkiHorror

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisStarrlight
...They will have everyone fill out an application (even if you did it already) & then they will show you training brainwashing videos & then ask you what location you want to work at (since they will be interviewing for several locations/departments) and then they pull everyone for one on one interviews.
When I did mine, they asked what background I had w/ makeup & w/ retail, what lines I wanted to work for, usual interview questions & that was about it.

You were right! There was about 15 of us that all went into a room, sat down and each had a chance to tell their work history, store preference, department preference and hour availability. We didn't have to watch any videos, but there was a TV in there. We did do a group excerize about customer service that was fun. Then the recruiter let some of the people go, and kept others that he assigned 2nd interviews to for that day. There were only 2 other girls in there that were going for cosmetics.

I had my second interview that day with the dept. manager, but she seemed a little peeved. I was really nice, so hopefully she was just having a bad day.