Guy sells his life on E-Bay...

malaviKat

Yes, it's exactly what it sounds like. (Click here for full video)

So...I have a couple of questions:
1) How much do you think you'd go for?
2) Who buys something like that?! Someone who takes the phrase "get a life" a little too literally?
tong.gif

gigglegirl

the title "selling a life" doesn't sit well with me (as my first thought is if you literally sell your life, you are dead.

Anyways I think its actually interesting. I can see people just being fed up with where they are in their life and would like to pack up and move somewhere else. Therefore I take it as "buy my house, car, "stuff", check out my job for 2 weeks, meet my friends". Obviously its not buying his life per se just the material things and brief introductions to both his job and friends---which of course these two personal ones have no possibility of lasting--if you dont have the qualifications, the job is gone and the friends may meet you and not have things in common.

Kinda strange but an interesting way for a couple of people to have a fresh start. Or just material goods to either use or sell themselves.

malaviKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigglegirl
the title "selling a life" doesn't sit well with me (as my first thought is if you literally sell your life, you are dead.

Anyways I think its actually interesting. I can see people just being fed up with where they are in their life and would like to pack up and move somewhere else. Therefore I take it as "buy my house, car, "stuff", check out my job for 2 weeks, meet my friends". Obviously its not buying his life per se just the material things and brief introductions to both his job and friends---which of course these two personal ones have no possibility of lasting--if you dont have the qualifications, the job is gone and the friends may meet you and not have things in common.

Kinda strange but an interesting way for a couple of people to have a fresh start. Or just material goods to either use or sell themselves.

Admittedly, I share your perspective somewhat. When I first happened upon the video I thought he'd auctioned off the right for someone to kill him. ...

That said, I'm not entirely sure how I feel about someone paying for the right to meet someone's friends (or for the right to be introduced to a job). Of course, there is room to debate the idea that we do that already in some capacity, but it has never/rarely been done in such a formalized manner.

gigglegirl

thats a good point. I'd hope that whomever was bidding, was likely (this is just what I'd be doing) would be bidding for the physical possessions and the other things, which by nature are fleeting, would be a thrown-in-the-sale type bonus.

I did find it interesting the price for everything was less than the physical possession's worth. So likely someone could make a quick profit by perhaps selling the car, house, etc individually if they were looking at this as a financial gain opportunity

malaviKat

I suppose in a world where someone manages to barter their way from a paper clip to a house, the notion of making a quick profit is very appealing! :p

malaviKat

I think his house is in Saskatchewan, if I remember correctly. I heard (recently) that he was looking to upgrade. It's fascinating to think that bartering hasn't died out!

sp4rkles

Quote:
Originally Posted by malaviKat
I think his house is in Saskatchewan, if I remember correctly. I heard (recently) that he was looking to upgrade. It's fascinating to think that bartering hasn't died out!

I don't know whether it happened in Canada as well, but this particular guy was from Perth, Western Australia.

malaviKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp4rkles
I don't know whether it happened in Canada as well, but this particular guy was from Perth, Western Australia.

LOL No sorry..

The guy who sold his life was from Australia. The guy who bartered a paperclip to a house was Canadian.