hair color question

kcrae

I have medium dark brown hair, with a few blonde and light brown highlights. I'd like to go a little darker, but when I dye my hair (rather than just have some low-lights put in at the salon) my highlights disappear, my hair becomes all one color. I thought the highlights would get darker but not as dark as the low-lights. I would like to save some $$$,any tips for dyeing my hair while still keeping the "contrast?" TIA

bella dee

well you can dye your hair first, and then highlights in after. i mean did you want to dye your hair darker and put what color highlights in?

kimmy

wrap the highlights in tinfoil and just dye the rest
winks.gif

go to your salon ,, u dont want to get messed up or your foils to bleed if u do them at home.. and tell your stylist what u want , tell her u love your highlights but want to be a lil more contrasting with chunky black/ dark then have our blond hightlihts just touched up so u dont have so many / or roots
and if your stylist know whats she is doing this should be an eazy job ,, and maybe she will throw in a cut

litlaur

I recently dyed my hair red with Loreal Color Pulse. Most of my hair was a nice dark auburn color, but my natural highlights turned vibrant red. They don't make a wide range of shades and it's only temporary, but it's nice for a quick change.

karen

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE ANTHEM
wrap the highlights in tinfoil and just dye the rest
winks.gif

If you *have* to do it at home, this is probably the best advice. I'd also advise you to wet them a bit(even better, put olive oil or something on it) before you wrap those areas; so that if it bleeds, the colour at least won't take as well in those spots.

dirtygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen
If you *have* to do it at home, this is probably the best advice. I'd also advise you to wet them a bit(even better, put olive oil or something on it) before you wrap those areas; so that if it bleeds, the colour at least won't take as well in those spots.

don't use olive oil... it's too runny. Use Vaseline. It will stay in place and keep the dye from attached to your hair strands.

and yes the tin foils are the way to go if you're going to do it at home....

OR... you can buy a chunk lighting/highlighting kit in addition. Wait for a couple days after you do the dark coloring, and then add the lighting. If you want some of them to be lighter than others, take some out early and wipe the colorant/bleach off them... that way you'll have multi-colored highlights and dark brown hair.