Hair Colorists: I need your advice!

nzgal

Hi - I am really hoping for some thoughts and feedback on this.

I color my hair approx every 4-5 weeks, I'm 34 but have been going gray since I was about 15 (wonderful genetic endowment!) and my hair color is pretty much white/gray at this point. My colorist currently uses Joico Age Defy to color my hair and this does cover gray exceptionally well. I typically wait 48 hours before shampooing after I get fresh color - longer if I can stand it, but this brand of color tends to make my scalp itch!

So my issue is this: even after waiting 48 hours, I still see color going down the drain when I was my hair, and this lasts for ages! It is almost 2 weeks since I had my last color done and I just washed my hair only to see red going down the drain again!! My hair has faded quite a bit in the last 2 weeks and I'm not happy
ssad.gif

Any thoughts about this???

My hair is normal to dry (mostly normal) straight and quite fine. In general I wash my hair every 2 (if I can stand it 3) days, blow dry but but hardly ever use irons.

Any thoughts/opinions/ideas would be SO appreciated!!

sinergy

Did you say you color your hair red? First, its great that you wait to shampoo as long as you do after your getting your color done, that does help.

every red will have some fading you can wash your hair is lukewarm to cool water that helps slow it some. also you can try spraying a leave in condition into your hair BEFORE you get into the shower the silicone/demethicone agent in it will give the shampoo when you do wash something to grab onto, so less on your color. try using a shampoo/conditioner that is sulfate free and if your out in the sun a lot that also fades color some if your hair isnt protected. HTH a little.

jasikazenith

Hair colour is affect you hair,you must use a best product for a hair and use a henna this available in many colour and this a best for a hair and it never affect your hair and you also mix a egg and other things in henna this a best for a hair.

hair care

StyleDemonXoXo

You can also try Clairol Shimmer Lights for Brunettes/Redheads. My hair is dyed golden brown and it seriously keeps my color fresh looking and vibrant for awhile after I dye it. I also really love Fekkai's Color Technician line, the deep conditioner is amazing, (it smells really yummy like grapefruit also lol)!

Meisje

Pureology is an all-around great shampoo. My hair is thicker and bouncier since I started using it, and it does preserve color well.

martiangurll

I go red and it always leaks for about 3 or 4 weeks (I use Feria by Loreal) Only the red colors do this. It stains the pillows and towels. Even if I do conditioner only washes. It is a little less if I use tepid (cold) water. I think the red colors are just not as fast as the others.

HTH

Avozilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzgal
Hi - I am really hoping for some thoughts and feedback on this.

I color my hair approx every 4-5 weeks, I'm 34 but have been going gray since I was about 15 (wonderful genetic endowment!) and my hair color is pretty much white/gray at this point. My colorist currently uses Joico Age Defy to color my hair and this does cover gray exceptionally well. I typically wait 48 hours before shampooing after I get fresh color - longer if I can stand it, but this brand of color tends to make my scalp itch!

So my issue is this: even after waiting 48 hours, I still see color going down the drain when I was my hair, and this lasts for ages! It is almost 2 weeks since I had my last color done and I just washed my hair only to see red going down the drain again!! My hair has faded quite a bit in the last 2 weeks and I'm not happy
ssad.gif

Any thoughts about this???

My hair is normal to dry (mostly normal) straight and quite fine. In general I wash my hair every 2 (if I can stand it 3) days, blow dry but but hardly ever use irons.

Any thoughts/opinions/ideas would be SO appreciated!!

I am not a big fan of Joico, honestly. I bought some of their bleach from RDA, and it destroyed my hair (My hair normally does bleach pretty well). I use Redkin color at my school, and it covers gray pretty well. When I get a client with gray hairs, I always let them process for 40 minutes instead of the usual 30. Red is the hardest color to keep, so I would suggest washing your hair in as cold of water as you can stand, and using a gentle shampoo (like Redkin's Color Extend for example). Definately no clarifying or anything of that nature. Cold water and a good shampoo should make your color last noticeably longer.

ShortnSassy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinergy
Did you say you color your hair red? First, its great that you wait to shampoo as long as you do after your getting your color done, that does help.

every red will have some fading you can wash your hair is lukewarm to cool water that helps slow it some. also you can try spraying a leave in condition into your hair BEFORE you get into the shower the silicone/demethicone agent in it will give the shampoo when you do wash something to grab onto, so less on your color. try using a shampoo/conditioner that is sulfate free and if your out in the sun a lot that also fades color some if your hair isnt protected. HTH a little.

i totally agree with all of this advice! also, next time you get your hair colored i would talk to your stylist about getting a clear coat over your usual color. it really helps your color last longer by putting an extra layer over it... sort of like a top coat for polish.