Hair Consultation Assignment

metal_romantic

Hi,

I have an assignment for the beauty course I am doing. I have to give hair advice (for which length, style and colour) to a few women. If anyone wants some advice, please provide me with a photo (in which I can clearly see your face shape) and tell me a bit about yourself:

Age (if comfortable)

What don't you like about your current style?

How do you feel about the colour it is now? Is it dyed or natural?

Is it naturally curly, straight, wavy? Thick, thin?

Do you have any issues with your hair? (eg. limp, frizzy, don't like it curly, split ends, etc.)

How do you usually wear your hair? How long do you spend styling it in the morning or before going out?

Are you able (and happy to) spend a lot of time on maintenance?

Is it important to you to have a versatile cut that you can wear in different styles?

How would you like to look? (eg. what impression do you want to give others? What kind of message do you want your hair to give about you?)

Briefly describe your personality

Thanks.
greengrin.gif

Hope I can help!

kimmae17

Hope this helps!!!

Age - 27

What don't you like about your current style? my hair is wavy, but not uniformly so, it will wave in spots , and stay straight in spots so it looks weird if i just let it dry. i wish i could just wash and go and have it look nice

How do you feel about the colour it is now? Is it dyed or natural? its dyed - darker, now with lighter high lights. i am naturally a darker blonde. dying it dark it fades, so i have started going back to the blonde

Is it naturally curly, straight, wavy? Thick, thin? thick, and wavy

Do you have any issues with your hair? (eg. limp, frizzy, don't like it curly, split ends, etc.) i have frizzy pieces near my face that drive me nuts. and the issue mentioned about abuot how its not uniformly wavy.

How do you usually wear your hair? How long do you spend styling it in the morning or before going out? for work i either quickly straighten it, or wear it in a ponytail ( i regularly do the little braid down the front into a ponytail) if i am going out on th eweekends. sometimes i will use a curling iron to make the waves look better or straighten it. so about 30 min

Are you able (and happy to) spend a lot of time on maintenance? on weekends yes. during the week i dont have too much time to spend on my hair.

Is it important to you to have a versatile cut that you can wear in different styles? yes.

How would you like to look? (eg. what impression do you want to give others? What kind of message do you want your hair to give about you?)
classy, elegant.

Briefly describe your personality, i am very laid back, friendly outgoing person.

this is my hair when it was blonder
l_a6c13d171751c12da8aa079f0c7a1496.jpg

this is my hair when i dyed it darker
its a little lighter than this now.
l_9f0392182fd84eee8d6d1466e7fa26ff.jpg

nichollecaren

Age 27

What don't you like about your current style? I find it to be boring and lacking personality. All I my life I have basically gone along with whatever the stylist recommends. I'm an easygoing client who trusts the expertise of others.

How do you feel about the colour it is now? Is it dyed or natural? Its dyed, or more accurately there is a temporary rinse applied with every relaxer. Its naturally dark, so the rinse helps mainly with the condition of my hair.

Is it naturally curly, straight, wavy? Thick, thin? Naturally kinky and thick

Do you have any issues with your hair? (eg. limp, frizzy, don't like it curly, split ends, etc.) Frizzy-split ends

How do you usually wear your hair? How long do you spend styling it in the morning or before going out?Ponytail, or simply 'out'...usually spend 5 minutes every am

Are you able (and happy to) spend a lot of time on maintenance? weekly I spend the whole day at the salon!

Is it important to you to have a versatile cut that you can wear in different styles? not really.

I'm an artist. I would like com communicate a free spirit, but still sophisticated

Briefly describe your personality: laid back, but very direct and honest.

picture012bdk.jpg

By jesusgirl82, shot with Canon EOS 40D at 2009-05-14

David madden photography
winks.gif

metal_romantic

kimmae17:

Wavy hair gives a soft, feminine impression and wearing it long and down as in the first photo expresses your laidback and friendly nature. For a more elegant look however, I would suggest wearing it up. A ponytail is usually a younger, more casual and laidback style. You have an oval face shape (as far as I can tell without seeing you in real life) which most styles and lengths will suit. I think the length in the photos (is it a touch longer in the first photo?) looks really nice.

For more uniform waves (I had this problem when I had long hair), try using a hairdryer with a diffuser (in case we use different terminology, this is what I mean: )
H3510-900_dt.jpg

I think the colour of your hair in the first photo is more flattering.
I can't say for sure because the photos are taken at different times, in different lighting etc., but in the first photo you have a softer look- like a "glow". In the second photo, the colour is pretty but it seems to bring out more yellow in your skin, unless it's just that you are tanned, lol. (Also pink, but I can tell from the first photo that you have pink in your skin too, so that must be natural). I think the lighter, softer colour is more in harmony with your colouring.

Please let me know if this helps at all. I haven't done it with only photos before
smiles.gif

metal_romantic

nichollecaren:

If you are an artist, and want to communicate a free spirit, then I'd recommend embracing the kinkiness (hehe)! Kinky hair without frizz is never boring
winks.gif
If you use a hairdryer I'd suggest you invest in an ionic one, as this won't damage the hair, it actually seals the moisture in.

You have an oval face (at least it looks like it in the photo- a long-ish oval), which means that many styles and lengths will suit you, but your forehead is a bit long, so a fringe would look great on you. As you have thick hair, opt for a thicker fringe if you decide to get one, and straighten the fringe each day (if using a straightner, an ionic one is best).
This won't take long as part of your routine.

I hope I have been of some help. It's hard to tell because your hair looks straight in your photo (nice photo, by the way!)

greengrin.gif

metal_romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichollecaren
i'll b sure to tell David
smiles.gif
Thanks! I'm off to look for an ionic straightener.

The one I have is a Dakota... not sure of what model it is but it's fab
smiles.gif

MUALindsay

First off, thanks for any and all I help! Good luck with your assignment!

Age -

What don't you like about your current style? I wish it was more managable, I have a hard time styling it and my stylist is no help.
ssad.gif

How do you feel about the colour it is now? Is it dyed or natural?
I dislike the current color... faded out Med. Brown from the end of January, but I am dying it Light/Medium Blonde in 3 weeks for my wedding.

Is it naturally curly, straight, wavy? Thick, thin?
I would describe my hair as fine, but lots of it, and naturally wavy.

Do you have any issues with your hair? (eg. limp, frizzy, don't like it curly, split ends, etc.)
I wish it had more curl but I'm not sure I'm ready for another perm (just because sometimes it's then TOO curly, last one was in Jan 06), it gets frizzy so the round brush/blow out or the flat iron is my friend.
smiles.gif

How do you usually wear your hair? How long do you spend styling it in the morning or before going out?
The quickest, out the door, looks presentable, style for me is blowing it out with a round brush. That usually takes ~20 minutes. If I use a vent/paddle brush, it's too frizzy and I have to flat iron or curl it. Which combined can easily take 45 minutes. I like to occasionally wear it "wavy" but must use a diffuser and even then it seems to be a bit too frizzy for me. It takes HOURS to air dry...

Are you able (and happy to) spend a lot of time on maintenance?
I guess it just depends on how long is A LOT of time, hehe. I don't mind spending the 20 minutes to dry it, but I wish it were dry and in pretty curls in 20 minutes, haha... hot rollers are NOT my friend.

Is it important to you to have a versatile cut that you can wear in different styles?
Yes, as most occasionally day 1 my hair is down, and day 2, completely or half up. I usually wash it every other day, sometimes every 3rd day.

I want to not always look like a bum with stick straight, glued to my head flat hair or that hair in a pony.

Briefly describe your personality.
Wow, that's the hardest one.
smiles.gif
I'm pretty easy going but I love to have fun and my hair and make-up are the most importnt aspects of looking good... if my head looks good, maybe they won't notice my weight.
smiles.gif

And now the photos (images are clickable thumbnails):
Most recent photo, hair is kinda curled

Me as a fresh brunette

A grown-out blonde, blown out with round brush

Fresh blonde, loved this

Natural texture with mousse/gel and dried with a diffuser

And for the hair I would prefer, haha... a mixture of the such

metal_romantic

SlvrGrndM99:

I'm so sorry for the late reply. I've had a lot on my plate.
Thanks for providing so many pictures! I think you look gorgeous in the first photo. There is a lot more warmth in the colour as opposed to the second & third pictures. The colour in those pics looks more cool-toned to me, and it's a bit draining to your complexion. Compare it to the first pic and the grown-out blonde. Your face looks more "alive". You have more colour in your face and a pretty, healthy glow. I think the grown-out blonde really suits you because the roots add more warmth and depth to the blonde. As you probably don't want your roots showing, I would suggest that if you go blonde again, that you add some darker lowlights to add that depth. The style in that same photo is really flattering. Your face shape looks like somewhere between oval and round. Ovals can get away with most hair styles, so that's a good thing. Round faces tend to keep a youthful appearance which is also great, but it means that volume around the sides is not always flattering. In the last pic, the waves are really pretty, but would look better with a longer length, so the length would balance out the volume around the face. You can see in the grown-out blonde photo that this style at that length is very flattering and really frames your face. This is an ideal style for you, as is the style in the first photo. The hair is straighter around the face, and then curls under the chin, adding colume to the bottom, which lengthens the face.
As for the celebrity pics, the first style would be lovely on you for the same reason. The second one wouldn't be the best because of the volume around the facial area and I think the colour is too dark as well. I don't think it suits her either (sorry, I can't tell who it is), can you see how she looks washed out? The hair itself looks nice though.

I always recommend ionic straightners and dryers
smiles.gif

In conclusion, I'd recommend you stick to warm, medium shades (such as in the first photo) or a blonde like in the grown-out blonde pic, but with some natural-looking lowlights to add depth (check with your hairdresser). So why do you dislike the colour it is now? I think it looks great. Your natural colour is probably naturally flattering too- nature usually gets it right (when it comes to colour at least. I have other issues with Nature myself, but not with hair colour, lol).
In terms of style, the styles in the first photo and the grown-out blonde photo are perfect.

Another tip, if you don't usually like ponytails, you would look cute with a quiff (it can be fairly tame; doesn't have to be big) to add volume to the top and a cute curly pony at the back.

Also, CONGRATULATIONS on your wedding!!!! Please post some photos!!

MUALindsay

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions!

I'm not sure why my hair looks so cool in the fresh brunette pictures, as I know she went with a warm shade because cools can turn my hair green. It might have just been the lighting.
smiles.gif

I feel the current color is a bit dull, though it did look good in that picture.
smiles.gif

The blonde in the photos is Carrie Underwood and the Brunette is Khole Kardashian (Kim's sister). I think Khole's hair is a bit dark for me (her natural is a bit lighter than that) but I LOVE how the curls are... shaped, but I can't seem to do that with my regular 1 or 1 1/2" curling irons... any tips?

Thanks again!