Hair Dilemma

sweatpea559

Okay, so I have naturally curly hair that I wear straight everyday. I found that when I wore my hair curly it wasn't uniformly curly and it looked hideous. I know everyone says that, but some pieces of my hair are literally straight while others are tight spirals. It has been that way for a long time (I'm biracial with VERY fine hair). When my hair was long I noticed that whenever I wore it straight it looked really flat. The more frequently I wash and straighten it the better it looks, but this is more damaging. So I decided if I cut it maybe it would appear to have more volume. It does, but I've been looking at my ends and they are terrible! Most hairs are splitting multiple times in many different places. My hair is already so short it BARELY goes into a ponytail... so I can't really cut it shorter. Plus if I do that I will never be able to wear it curly and I will continue to damage it with heat. Basically I'm trying to grow my hair out long enough that I can wear it curly most of the time to prevent more damage while it continues to grow. My only concern is that my ends will only get worse if I don't cut them... but if I do they will come back because of the heat that will be required to style! I don't have a clue what to do. Any advice is appreciated. I guess what I'm mostly looking for is products that will help me to keep my hair from breaking off/ends splitting up the hair shaft until it's longer and I can get it cut.
th_dunno.gif

TISH1124

I have the EXACT same problem....I have a mix of folks n textures in my hair...But I found what works best for me is if I want to wear it straight is to wash it and put voluming mouse or wrap mouse in it and wrap it straight and let it air dry overnight with a bandana holding it down straight...after it dries and I unwrap it. it is pretty straight without needing much heat...maybe a slight bump here and there with the flat iron but not over all straightening. My mother is Bi-racial so I have a mixture of hair from my fathers side and from her side.
My curls are not defined at all IMO..and my hair is very fine....Here is mine on a bad just washed and air dried day ...with nothing in it...it's a mess...My hairdresser says once it grows longer the curls will be more defined...I am hoping he is right ...but my ends get dry and break easily if I use heat daily

shirleycurly-1.jpg

User38

I wish I had ONE curl on my head --I have stick straigh hair.. sadly, all sides of the hair spectrum present problems
smiles.gif

TISH1124

^^ Thats true.....we all want what we don't have...I like curly hair I just want more defined curls...I like straight hair as well..I have neither
ssad.gif

ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by TISH1127
^^ Thats true.....we all want what we don't have...I like curly hair I just want more defined curls...I like straight hair as well..I have neither
ssad.gif

have you tried bumble & bumble curl defining cream?

i am also bi-racial and have different textured hair : |
i am pretty frustrated with my hair now, the top is super curly and the hair at the base of my neck is wavy : \
i am considering tight, small, neat dreads so that i do not have to deal with my hair as much. i'll be asking for my hair dresser opinion at my next appointment.

sweatpea559

Quote:
Originally Posted by TISH1127
I have the EXACT same problem....I have a mix of folks n textures in my hair...But I found what works best for me is if I want to wear it straight is to wash it and put voluming mouse or wrap mouse in it and wrap it straight and let it air dry overnight with a bandana holding it down straight...after it dries and I unwrap it. it is pretty straight without needing much heat...maybe a slight bump here and there with the flat iron but not over all straightening. My mother is Bi-racial so I have a mixture of hair from my fathers side and from her side.
My curls are not defined at all IMO..and my hair is very fine....Here is mine on a bad just washed and air dried day ...with nothing in it...it's a mess...My hairdresser says once it grows longer the curls will be more defined...I am hoping he is right ...but my ends get dry and break easily if I use heat daily

shirleycurly-1.jpg

How do you wrap your hair? I've heard people say they do that but I never really knew what it was or how to do it... Also, could I blow dry it once it's wrapped? I don't know if it would dry my morning because sometimes my hair is still wet when I wake up and that's when it's just down/loose.

TISH1124

You can sit under a hooded dryer while it is wrapped...you put the foam in your hair while it's wet comb it down straight then wrap it in a curcular motion around your head and then let it dry that way....I can tell you the Blow dryer killed my hair ....

ben

check out the bumble & bumble curl products here

Bumble and bumble.

they recently changed the formula and packaging but i am still happy with the curl cream. it is expensive but i find that a little goes along way.

TISH1124

Anyone tried Mixed chicks products
Curly Hair Testimonials
Mixed Chicks Home

Wrap Instructions

Step2
Wet wrap. After washing and conditioning hair towel dry leaving slightly wet take wrap lotion or foam whatever you choose and saturate in hair. Find the center of your head and comb hair all down all around your head flattening the middle. begin combing hair in circle making sure you don't leave any tangle pieces going back and forth with your comb or brush smoothing out all the areas flat to your hair. After hair is completely in a circle flat take wrap strips and tie around edges of hair one or two in front of head same in back let completely dry. Take oil sheen and spray hair comb hair out in circular motion until all lifted brush hair and style.
Step3
Dry wrap at night spray hair with light oil sheen and comb in circular motion combining all hair out use bobby pins to hold loose hair in place put light gel on edge of hair and tie wrap strips around hair put satin scarf on it hold on it cotton scarfs take oil out of hair.

sweatpea559

Did it really? I RARELY blow dry my hair so I wouldn't know... seems like it would be better than a flat iron though.

And no I haven't tried the bumble and bumble... how has it been working for you?

TISH1124

Yeah I think anything is better than the flat iron that is why I try to use little to no heat...Blowdryer dries my hair out terribly...But I have extremely dry hair to begin with

TISH1124

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben
check out the bumble & bumble curl products here

Bumble and bumble.

they recently changed the formula and packaging but i am still happy with the curl cream. it is expensive but i find that a little goes along way.

I am gonna so try this ...the video looks great

Bumble and bumble.

ben

the curl cream is the only hair product i have used constantly for the last 7 years or so (since i discovered it)