Hair spray dilemma

hundove

Hello everyone,
I've had bad experiences with hair spray. I don't use it much because, the times I used it, I couldn't wash it off my hair.
I once had to wash it with shampoo and conditioner for 3 days trying to get out the stickiness and messy web-like sticky mass of hair that is so tangled I can't even put a comb half way through it. I ended up breaking off so much of my hair
ssad.gif
shockt.gif
Is this a common problem with hair spray?
If yes, what do you do to wash it off your hair?
If no, could it be the hair spray brand? Could you recommend a good brand that won't ruin the hair? A brand that does not stiffen the hair, but rather gives it a soft feel while holding it in place?
For reference, my hair is wavy to curly.
Thanks for any suggestions and help!

Susanne

I think this problem is caused by your hairspray!

I have tried a lot and some work better than others or can be washed out more easily!

I really like Rockaholic by Tigi - it is not inexpensive though.

And try BIG shampoo by Lush!

Junkie

Try a Clarifyling shampoo like Neutrogena Clarifying Shampoo - you can get it at the drugstore or pretty much any department store. Both Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship (conditioner) and Body Envy (shampoo and the conditioner) are also great for taking the junk outta your hair.

If your hair is wavy/curly....have you tried mousse instead (while hair is damp and then use a diffuser)? It might be better than the crunchiness of hairspray.

Chikky

Air Control by Aveda. A bit expensive, but it holds great and you can't feel it in your hair. I rarely use hair spray, but I will use this when I do.

Meisje

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie
Try a Clarifyling shampoo like Neutrogena Clarifying Shampoo

Agreed! If you use hairspray a lot, use this shampoo regularly (but definitely not every time you shampoo. It's too harsh).

kimmy

it sounds like you had probably used too much. you usually don't need more than a light misting of spray to have it do it's job.

also, cheaper brands (like aquanet) usually dry to a harder finish, so they're more difficult to get out of your hair when it's time to wash it out. tresemme has some really good hairsprays that are only about $3-4 per can, i really like the one that's labelled with green (can't recall the exact name.)

but when using any hair spray, remember not to use too much because that will make anything hard to get out and will do untold damage to your hair..

ruthless

Wow... 3 days of shampooing to get it out? That sounds like sugar water, or whatever they use to get the mohawks to stay UP! I've never heard of a commercial hair spray doing that

hundove

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. yes, my hair is curly, so it tangled it really bad. I don't use hair spray often, but there are times when you need it when you do an updo or even go to a salon, because from my experience, not all have good hair sprays. That terrible hair spray experience was the aftermath of a salon hairdo!! Thanks everyone for the help!