Hair straighteners & staying power?

s0xjuicy

I've always wondered about this, I have wavy/curlyish hair I have this Conair straightener that I bought from Wal-Mart for about $70, it heats up fast and does a decent job, even though I have to run it through each strand 2-3 times.

If I were to buy a higher end straightener, such as the ones you can get from mall stands or a CHI or GHD, would that help with the staying power of keeping my hair straight?

Because now, when I straighten my hair when I step outside and it's humid or foggy or about it rain it unstraightens and gets frizzy and all that even though I use a ton of humid protecting products and hair spray to keep it straight. But when I asked my co-worker who has wavyish hair when she straightens her hair doesn't it get wavy again when she steps out in the rain?, and she told me that she has a CHI and it stays straight even in rain/humid.

Does anyone know more about this?

talste

I use a GHD in between rebonding treatments to straighten my roots, I also live in a sub tropical climate so its very hot & humid here all year round. Anyway when I use the GHD my hair will stay straight until I shampoo it (some times up to a week if I'm being gross & lazy) unless it rains then it gets a bit of frizz to it.

glam8babe

i have GHD and Kodo they are both really good and i use my GHD's at home and i have my Kodo ones at my boyfriends. they both do the same job.

when i was younger i had about 4 cheap ones (i had to keep buying new ones) and my hair NEVER stayed straight

so it's always best to pay for a high-end brand so you get your moneys worth then you won't have to buy another one for a good few year

MAC_addiction<3

i agree i have GHD's and my hair stays straight all the time
when i was younger i had cheap remington straightners and my hair never ever stayed straight not even with setting lotion!
Definetly worth paying the extra money for, i couldnt live without my ghd's now!
smiles.gif

kimmy

i have curly/wavy hair that frizzes, too. imho, the quality of the hair straightener doesn't matter. if you want your hair to be stick straight, it doesn't matter how much heat you use or what products you use, it'll still frizz when there's moisture in the air...the only way to get perfectly straight hair (if your hair is like mine, which it sounds like it is,) is to get it chemically straightened.

the guy who does my hair has straightened my hair with every high end straightener you could imagine and has tried about a million straightening serums and treatments, but they all only last until my hair meets any kind of moisture. now when he finishes colouring/cutting my hair he just blow dries it with a round brush because there's no way to get around the curls...so i gave up haha.

s0xjuicy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmy
i have curly/wavy hair that frizzes, too. imho, the quality of the hair straightener doesn't matter. if you want your hair to be stick straight, it doesn't matter how much heat you use or what products you use, it'll still frizz when there's moisture in the air...the only way to get perfectly straight hair (if your hair is like mine, which it sounds like it is,) is to get it chemically straightened.

the guy who does my hair has straightened my hair with every high end straightener you could imagine and has tried about a million straightening serums and treatments, but they all only last until my hair meets any kind of moisture. now when he finishes colouring/cutting my hair he just blow dries it with a round brush because there's no way to get around the curls...so i gave up haha.

Thanks for the info, I was thinking about it and I realized that it depends on your hair type and all that, but I remember a while ago, I asked one of my friends who has really curly hair on a rainy day if she used any products to keep her hair straight, and she said no, so I guessed it must be her straightener that contributed to it.

LMD84

ok i have ghd straighteners which are amazing however there are various products i use to stop my naturally ig fluffy, frizzy, wavey hair from poofing out!!!

firstly i use the matrix sleek look styling cream (only a little as it goes a long way!) and then while using teh ghd's i use the matrix heat protector spray from the same sleek collection. but the once i've finished using the ghd's ii spray on some matrix sleek look water lock out spray. that is the magic spray that even when there is water in the air my hair stays poker staright. before i sed this spray half way through the day my hair went all poofy. but not anymore!!! woo!

noahlowryfan

how did you like the matrix sleek look products? i'm thinking about trying out the shampoo and conditioner but am not sure if they sell the travel size versions.

LMD84

hhhmm i've never seen travel sized ones but i can't sing the sleek look line's praises enough!!! the shampoo is great, the conditioner smells lovely and is very hydrating. and the deep conditioning masque they do is well worth a buy! a little goes a long way and my hair feels like silk after using it. you can get it pretty cheap off ebay so have a look online!

ms_bloom

I don't think a particular straightener or a more expensive straightener will keep your hair straight all day or in humid weather, etc. I have a GHD and I actually think my old Remington did a better and quicker job BUT the plating cracked ... I think the more expensive brands are more durable, not necessarily better at straightening. Then again you could buy quite a few cheaper hair straighteners for the price of one GHD!

My hair stays straight until it gets wet, humidity is not really a problem unless it's from rain that gets on my hair! I think silicone-based products - serums and sprays - are good for sealing the cuticle as much as possible but my holy grail hair product is The Body Shop Coconut Oil Hair Shine. It makes my hair shiny, soft, sleek, and softly coconut scented! I just have to be careful not to over-apply otherwise it's sticky and gunky.