Harrassment rom Supervisor. Help please!

VanillaCupcake

I hope this is in the right place. Forgive me if it's not.
A friend of mine is having a really hard time at his place of work. His supervisor is constantly harassing him. She treats him very unfairly, and accuses him of things he did does not do. He's finally had enough of it. She is making things so bad for him, to the point where he is planning on quitting his job. He plans to a write a letter to the head of the company regarding this matter. Has anyone had any experience with this type of situation? Do you know where a sample letter can be found on the correct way to present a report on her? he has already documented all of the things she has done to him.
Help is appreciated. Thank you!

buddleia

I think your friend has already done the right thing by documenting everything and choosing to quit. He may also want to look into whether or not the company as an anti-harassment policy, and see what kinds of consequences could be levelled against his supervisor. If there is no policy, I think he could suggest that the company create one and all supervisors AND staff undertake training. I think a letter to the head of the company would look something like this:

Dear Mr./Ms Head of Company,

I am resigning as of [date] from the position of [x] at [company name] located at [address]. I am choosing to quit because of the harassment that I have been experiencing from [x]. Please find enclosed a detailed log of the incidents that occurred.

[If the company has an anti-harassment policy, quote things from the policy and how he believes the supervisor violated them.]
[If there is no policy:]
This company should implement an anti-harassment and anti-discrimination policy, and require managers and staff to undertake training as soon as possible. This kind of treatment is unacceptable and creates a toxic environment that no one should ever have to work in.

Please ensure that I receive my last pay check for the week(s) of [specify dates].

Thank you.

I hope that helps!

crystalclear

If your friend is in the UK, it might be worth his while going to see the Citizens Advice Bureau about constructive dismissal or employees rights, or if there is something similar where he is speaking to them. Hope it works out.

LMD84

yes i would advise that he speaks to somebody at his companies head office over the phone to see what they suggest. they should say what he can put in the letter. but eually get him to start writing down 'incidents' with times, dates and quotes so that he remembers exactly what was said and such. plus if there is somebody at the work who knows he didn't do the things he is being accused of, perhaps see if that person is willing to put that in writing also ir at least be named as a witness.

VanillaCupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddleia
I think your friend has already done the right thing by documenting everything and choosing to quit. He may also want to look into whether or not the company as an anti-harassment policy, and see what kinds of consequences could be levelled against his supervisor. If there is no policy, I think he could suggest that the company create one and all supervisors AND staff undertake training. I think a letter to the head of the company would look something like this:

Dear Mr./Ms Head of Company,

I am resigning as of [date] from the position of [x] at [company name] located at [address]. I am choosing to quit because of the harassment that I have been experiencing from [x]. Please find enclosed a detailed log of the incidents that occurred.

[If the company has an anti-harassment policy, quote things from the policy and how he believes the supervisor violated them.]
[If there is no policy:]
This company should implement an anti-harassment and anti-discrimination policy, and require managers and staff to undertake training as soon as possible. This kind of treatment is unacceptable and creates a toxic environment that no one should ever have to work in.

Please ensure that I receive my last pay check for the week(s) of [specify dates].

Thank you.

I hope that helps!

Thank you so much for the sample letter! I sent that to him to get an idea of what to write. I'm not exactly sure if his job has an harassment policy, but him suggesting one is worth a try! I'll let him know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalclear
If your friend is in the UK, it might be worth his while going to see the Citizens Advice Bureau about constructive dismissal or employees rights, or if there is something similar where he is speaking to them. Hope it works out.

Unfortunately he's not from the UK.
ssad.gif
Thank you for your support!

VanillaCupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD84
yes i would advise that he speaks to somebody at his companies head office over the phone to see what they suggest. they should say what he can put in the letter. but eually get him to start writing down 'incidents' with times, dates and quotes so that he remembers exactly what was said and such. plus if there is somebody at the work who knows he didn't do the things he is being accused of, perhaps see if that person is willing to put that in writing also ir at least be named as a witness.

Thanks for the advice! He started to write down the things that happened, and he also had a previous incident written down as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DILLIGAF
Does the company have an Human Resources Dept? That would be a good place to start.

Yes, he has one. I'm pretty sure that's where he plans to start at.

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I just feel so bad because he has been working at his job for 2 years, and for his new supervisor to be set out to bully him is just not right.
nope.gif

X4biddenxLustX

I second the Human resources department as I was always told that they handle issues that you either can't go to your supervisor (obviously in this case!) for.

buddleia

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaCupcake
he has been working at his job for 2 years, and for his new supervisor to be set out to bully him is just not right.
nope.gif

That's terrible! That's no way to treat a loyal employee... Let us know how it goes.

VanillaCupcake

Things haven't been going so well at all. He wrote a report with all the evidence of harassment, and his supervisor lied about the whole thing. Going to hr was completely useless! They sided with his supervisor, and put my friend on suspension. Even though my friend has evidence, they didn't bother looking into the situation simply because the hr manager is friends with his sup. I can't believe that would happen to him when he try's to report work place bullying.
ssad.gif

Simply Elegant

He needs to go higher up then til someone will actually go through the whole thing with a decent amount of consideration.

moonlit

I had a horrible boss and he screwed up my career... I quit my job because of him. I did tell the HR that he was making it very difficult for me but I had other reasons why I quit

I always wanted to write a letter like this, now its late. but yes.. sometimes the HR may not be so helpful (like in my case) so you gota escalate it to some big shot/ someone in a senior post

Latest posts