Has anyone pierced their own ears???

Stephie Baby

I got my ears pierced when I was 8, but for some reason my right ear has grown up. I was going to get it re-pierced by a professional, but its gonna cost like $30. Has anyone pierced their ears themselves?? I'm thinking about letting my boyfriend do it b/c he has done his. I'm terrified it will hurt like hell though. Lol.

Hilly

I pierced my cartlidge in religion class in high school lol. I have also done my friends' cartlidges. I used just a earring used from a piercing gun and BAM.

TamiChoi

Lol. No, I haven't, but my brother did. He put ice behind the spot where he was goin to pierce it and then pierced it with one of his earrings. after that, they were infected for like a few months.

darkwater_soul

DO NOT DO IT YOURSELF. Unless you have an autoclave to properly sterilize your jewelry, properly sanitzed hands, gloves and workspace, in a clean enviroment, and of course, the right jewelry in which to heal your piercing, never do it yourself. You can do all kinds of damage that can not be reversed. See if a reputable tattoo and piercing parlor near you will pierce just that one ear for you to line it up properly, it won't cost nearly that much, and it will be safely and with the proper precautions.

vocaltest

i think you should pay out the $30 instead of risking infection and disfigurement of your ear for life!

darkwater_soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocaltest
i think you should pay out the $30 instead of risking infection and disfigurement of your ear for life!

I agree.

VeXedPiNk

Please don't! As previous posters have said, it's just not worth the risk. My only personal experience is piercing my own belly button when I was sixteen... stupidest thing I ever did and I have the scars to prove it. I do have a friend who has pierced her own ears several times (lobes and cartilage). She battles infection after infection, even years after the fact. It has also caused a lot of scar tissue to develop, making her ears extremely unattractive looking.

banjobama

I pierced my earlobes with a safety pin. It hurt. But as it was my third hole in my earlobes, I knew how little there was to it and I refused to pay for it. I kept everything clean and there was no infection.

I would not do that in my cartilage though. Ouch.

lyttleravyn

please please please don't! I work at Hot Topic and I can't tell you how many people come in asking our advice on their infected/nasty looking ears/eyebrows/belly buttons etc. because they did them on their own and messed them up. Really your body isn't worth $30?

Stephie Baby

Yeaaaaa... Just so everyone knows. I'm talking about my regular ear lobes. NOT my cartilage. That would be painful!! Lol. I still kinda have a hole, so I think I might try to push my ear ring back through. Lol.

Dizzy

My grandmother did all 4 of my ear holes- first two at 5 months, the second pair at 15 months. I've never had a problem with any of them and neither have my cousins (5 of us).

Of course, take caution. YMMV.

darkwater_soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephie Baby
Yeaaaaa... Just so everyone knows. I'm talking about my regular ear lobes. NOT my cartilage. That would be painful!! Lol. I still kinda have a hole, so I think I might try to push my ear ring back through. Lol.

Are your earlobes still attached to your body? Then opening the wound will cause infection, unless properly done, and simply pushing the earring, (especially if it hasn't been cleaned, and no dial soap is not cleaning it) will push dirt and other material laden with infection into your ear. Not good. Just wait til you have the cash. Better safe than sorry.

TISH1124

I used the self peircing earrings....20 years ago..With proper care mine never got infected.

kimmy

i pierced my own ears and my own septum. did it all with a safety pin, too. not the greatest idea but i never had any problems with any of them.

but if yer scared, i say go to a professional. if you try to do it yourself, you might get shaky and that won't end well at all.

TheeBettyBoop

I did, with a needle. No biggie. I took care of it and ofcourse all of the safe measures, and my ear is just fine after years.

purrtykitty

Did my third holes on my lobe and two holes in my cartilage when I was in Jr. High. Only one hole in the cartilage was infected and I had to let close. I used a safety pin, match, alcohol, and a piercing stud. Never had any problems (except that one hole) and now that I want them to close, they won't!

ClaireAvril

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwater_soul
DO NOT DO IT YOURSELF. Unless you have an autoclave to properly sterilize your jewelry, properly sanitzed hands, gloves and workspace, in a clean enviroment, and of course, the right jewelry in which to heal your piercing, never do it yourself. You can do all kinds of damage that can not be reversed. See if a reputable tattoo and piercing parlor near you will pierce just that one ear for you to line it up properly, it won't cost nearly that much, and it will be safely and with the proper precautions.

EXACTLY... is getting an infection worth saving 30$???

When I got my nose pierced I went to a reputable tatoo/piercing place and paid 75$.. everyone made fun of me because they went to the indian beauty parlor and paid 10 dollars to get theirs done with a gun.
At the end of my piercing the girl bends the needle that she uses and disposes it to show you that it will not be used again.
I would rather pay so much more to know that I am being pierced in a safe environment with CLEAN instruments.

gigglegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmy
i pierced my own ears and my own septum. did it all with a safety pin, too. not the greatest idea but i never had any problems with any of them.

but if yer scared, i say go to a professional. if you try to do it yourself, you might get shaky and that won't end well at all.

Yes, i whole heartedly agree. I didn't try doing it myself but I JUST the other weekend went and got my cartilage pierced. But it was in a hair salon (yea now I know better!) and only $9. (only one). Now the hair kinda got around it, I was rough in the shower and its swollen now. Argh I'm worried its going to get infected.

So while a professional can't prevent infection, my next cartilage piercings will be at a professional piercer who will A) not use a gun---they have a tendency to pull the skin on one side of the gun, thus when its eventually healed and you are trying to put in a different earring, it may not be completely straight, whereas a piercer isolate the area (ie clamps depending on where) therefore the hole will be straight.
B) has experience, go to one that is reputable, sanitized, all that jazz.

Please be safe! Hope it goes well with you and enjoy your new piercings whenever you get 'em!

TISH1124

My cartilage was pierced by a professional and I did everything I was told...It still got infected..I eventually after a year of dealing with it let it close.

NutMeg

gigglegirl: Get some Bactine dude. Antiseptic/anasthetic spray for sunburns/mild burns/scrapes, it's the shit for piercing infections. Good prevention too. Did the piercer at the salon go over aftercare with you? Because salt soaks are awesome for healing stuff up too.

And Tish, some piercings just never heal. My cartilage is being pretty stubborn, I got it in April and it still gets irritated and threatens infection every once in a while.