Has this happened to anyone before?

Jeniwren

Booohooo! I was cleaning my brushes today (I put them into a diluted solution of Mac brush cleaner and then rinsed them well with water). Anyway, when I was drying my brush handles with a towel I noticed that the paint had cracked all along my 266. I was just wondering if this had happened to anybody before?

I have taken some pictures but don't know how to upload them (so if anybody could show me i'd be grateful) Thanks!

Jeniwren

Ok, I figured out how to put the pictures into my gallery. They are there if anyone is interested.

What did you do - did you chip away the rest of the paint or try to stick it in some way?

Juneplum

omg
icon_eek.gif
i would DIE if that happened to any of my brushes! (cue drama queen on 3, 2, 1..
th_wink3.gif
) hee hee... i'm so sorry that happened to your brushes jeniwren! it's cracked all the way!!! i'd ctc mac to see why that happens... u never know.. they may send u a replacement..

Onederland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeniwren
Ok, I figured out how to put the pictures into my gallery. They are there if anyone is interested.

What did you do - did you chip away the rest of the paint or try to stick it in some way?

wow, mine werent anywere as bad as that!
icon_eek.gif

But i just left it, because i was afraid if i did anything it'd get worse. :-/

But yeah, i thin you should send it into MAC and see if you can get a replacement.

CaliKris

Wood will do that when it gets wet, no matter what you paid for it. Try not to get the wood part wet at all, I never soak mine, just clean the brush part and after make sure the metal part is completely dry also so that no water goes near the wood. It happends, that sucks!

Janice

The wood got wet, sorry hunny.
cry.gif
It's not a good thing to submerge the handles, you can contact MAC but the brush isn't defective... any wooden handle would do that when submerged.
ssad.gif

When cleaning your brushes you only want to wipe the the handle with a damp towel or babywipe and only submerge the bristles of the brush.

Sushi_Flower

You're not meant to wash it above the metal bit, an SA told me that when i bought one (i know why now!), pity you weren't told that!

MacLover

Sorry that happen to your brush.

Did you soak the brush and have the cleaner (fluid) high enough that the wood part of the brush would be emersed in the brush cleaner?

Jeniwren

Whoops! Feeling a tad foolish now!
oh.gif
ops: I had filled a cup with the brush cleaner and water and let them sit in it for a bit... oh dearie me!
Well, now I know what NOT to do!
It's kinda funny actually!
Thanks for alll the support ladies!
greengrin.gif

Juneplum

oh wow i wasn't even paying attention to that! they were submerged in water... (having a brain fart, i thought the cleanser dripped down and caused the paint to crack.... silly me) then they won't send a replacement.. the handles aren't to be submerged in liquid that's why it cracked like that... awwww... pobrecita...

I had the red brush set from the Nordies Anniv a couple of years back. They were never wet or anything, and one of the brushes got a crack in it that led to a big chunk falling out. I emailed MAC as an FYI..and about 4 weeks later I got a check in the mail from them for $45 and an apology. I didn't ask for it...but it was a nice surprise!

jadeangelx

I bought some sephora brushes and didn't know about the not letting the wood wetting thing happen and 2 years later the brushes broke just like you said.

saj20052006

Quote:
Booohooo! I was cleaning my brushes today (I put them into a diluted solution of Mac brush cleaner and then rinsed them well with water). Anyway, when I was drying my brush handles with a towel I noticed that the paint had cracked all along my 266. I was just wondering if this had happened to anybody before?

I have taken some pictures but don't know how to upload them (so if anybody could show me i'd be grateful) Thanks!

Wow, I've never had that happen and I've had my brush for at least 6 years. I was just brave enough to try artists brushes because my MAC brushes have held up so well.

eponine

Quote:
Whoops! Feeling a tad foolish now!
oh.gif
ops: I had filled a cup with the brush cleaner and water and let them sit in it for a bit... oh dearie me!
Well, now I know what NOT to do!
It's kinda funny actually!
Thanks for alll the support ladies!
greengrin.gif

you should never put them in a cup like that...it can ruin the shape of the brush bristles, too!
smiles.gif

Anala

I've never had the problem with Make-up brushes, but then again I've never put the handle in water or at least submerged it. I've had the problem with paint brushes for art. For those I've lost about 3 brushes to breaking and many many more ahve had the paint split or chip away.

Alex

I got a brush in a swap that had the exact same thing happening to it. I took it in to my local counter and they exchanged it for me, no receipt, no problem. The MA said she'd never seen that happen before.

So if I were you, I'd see if they'll exchange it for you.

I soak my brushes, but I make sure the water isn't above the metal.

Star

Another important thing is to not let them dry "bristles up". Dry them flat. Any water that may be inside the metal part that pinches the bristles together will drip down into the wood if you dry them standing up.

Latest posts