has this happened to anyone else's 217 brush?

jennifer.

i've been debating on asking this because i wasn't too positive if this was abnormal or not. i haven't even had my 217 a year and it looks really tattered. has anyone else experienced breakage like this on theirs? i did buy this from my local freestanding store (where i buy all my mac brushes) so i know it's authentic and although i do wash my brushes after every use, none of my other brushes look like this one does. it's kind of sad.

should i invest in another one? i don't understand why this particular brush had so much breakage.

217_1.jpg

217_2.jpg

jennifer.

^^^ antibacterial liquid handsoap daily and baby shampoo once a week. i don't understand though--every other brush i clean the same way and none have breakage like this. poor 217.

Meryl

Some of the ones I use a lot and wash a lot get a bit like that, after couple of years. They do look more frazzled than when they were new. The white bristles seem to be more susceptible I think.

None of mine have as much breakage though, you have to treat them with loving care when you wash them.

jennifer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryl
Some of the ones I use a lot and wash a lot get a bit like that, after couple of years. They do look more frazzled than when they were new. The white bristles seem to be more susceptible I think.

None of mine have as much breakage though, you have to treat them with loving care when you wash them.

i've tried to be more gentle after ruining my first brush (#266) long ago but i guess i need to try being even more gentle when i clean. maybe just clean with the baby shampoo only? well i guess another 217 is in my future. thanks for everyone's responses.

aziajs

Mine is like that!!! I bought mine from a CCO and from day one it wasn't as supple or smooth as my other brushes. It's always dry and has breakage. I don't get it.

FiestyFemme

I've got 2 217's and neither looks like that. I only wash them with brush cleanser or baby shampoo though, and I try to be as gentle as possible.

blindpassion

My moms was like that but I fixed it after she tried for months and it never worked.

Take some mac brush cleaner in your hand with warm water, even if the brush is clean, this will fix it.

Dip the brush in your palm where the mixture is and start to twirl and rub it around in your palm. Eventually in your hand suds will form. Keep rubbing the brush around in your hand and get the mixture as suddy (lol I know that isnt a word) as possible.

Then rinse it with warm water.

Use your fingers to push the bristles in the right direction and then take tweezers and pull out any strays that are not staying with the rest of hairs.

smiles.gif

Lay it flat to dry.

Donee.

vocaltest

yep mine looks like that. none of my others are like that. i use brush cleanser & baby shampoo to deep clean and i'm incredibly gentle with it. i have no idea why its like it
ssad.gif

jennifer.

well after looking at several different 217s on here i thought for sure i'd be the only one with the freakish looking one! haha i'm happy (but disappointed) to hear this isn't the case. i think i'll still invest in another one and see how it goes with gentler washing.

MiCHiE

Mine looks like that, too. I don't use it often either. I just happened to use it to diffuse some color the other day and when I pulled it out, it looked tattered and like bits of dirt were stuck in it.

*EDIT*

I've also noticed that the other 217 I have (unused) has all white hairs, whereas the raggedy one does not. Some of the hairs that I thought was dirt are actually brown and look stiffer than the white ones.

jennifer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥MiCHiE♥
Mine looks like that, too. I don't use it often either. I just happened to use it to diffuse some color the other day and when I pulled it out, it looked tattered and like bits of dirt were stuck in it.

*EDIT*

I've also noticed that the other 217 I have (unused) has all white hairs, whereas the raggedy one does not. Some of the hairs that I thought was dirt are actually brown and look stiffer than the white ones.

i use mine with just about every m/u application and i do remember more breakage happening to it when i first bought it. i also thought the same thing with the colors as well but upon closer inspection it wasn't dirt but different colored hairs. i wonder if there's 2 different types of 217s? weird!

Luceuk

Mine is exactly the same, and even when usin the brush cleaner and baby shampoo every so often my Parrot e/s has stained it. I think I might buy a new one and just use that when I use Parrot.

xxManBeaterxx

I had my 217 for over a year now and it looks norma. I wash it with baby shampoo every 2 weeks and for the past few months ive been using mac's brush cleaner after every use.

I have a problem with the 217 and the 219 staining. Its green at the tips
ssad.gif
i cant take it out...

x.DOLLYMiX.x

Mine is like this also, it still works well. I have two but one is for college. Oh funny how you said that your 217 is stained with parrot Luceuk my 219 is stained with parrot I have tried everything it just wont budge
ssad.gif

jennifer.

the one i have was made in japan and you can barely even see it. it took me a while to even find the lettering, it's rubbed off badly. does anyone have a 217 that's still intact made from somewhere else?

and i'm not worried about the staining, i kind of expect that from the white haired brushes. : D