Have I upset him? i do not want to loose him as a friend

Hikaru-chan

Earlier last year a friend of mine told me that he really liked me and he knew that I didn't like him back in the same way but he had to tell me anyway to be sure.
I replied that I liked him as a friend but nothing more and then joked around that he must have been drunk when he sent the text to which he replied he wasn't and that he didn't want things to be awkward between us.
I told him I valued him has a friend and not to worry, I didn't feel awkward and it was fine, shortly after that he got himself a girlfriend and I believed everything was back to how it used to be.

He started to text me a lot less (from 5-6 times a week to about once or twice a month) which at first I put down to him just being a lot busier (he started a new job) and having a girlfriend but then I started to worry that I had somehow managed to offend him and that's why he was avoiding me.

We did meet up the one day just to have a coffee and a chat but he didn't stick around long and he literally could not look me in the eye, I assumed he was a lot more uncomfortable with what he'd admitted too than he'd been letting on.

He started texting me a little more often after that, just general questions and it kinda felt like everything was back to normal.

Then two week before Christmas I get a text from him telling me he still really likes me and if he can take me out even if it's only has friends, to be honest I was a little annoyed, I'd made my feeling pretty clear that I didn't like him has more than a friend and he's telling me how he feels a second time not to mention he now has a girlfriend!!
I didn't check my message straight away and because he probably thought that I was purposely avoiding the question he replied back that he'd take that has a no.
When I finally checked my message I replied back that we are friends and it's fine for us to grab coffee cause that's what friends do as long as he classed us just friends.

I don't get it, he has a girlfriend who he supposedly loves and who's closer to his age (I say this because he's 21 and him 27 and can't personally see why a younger guy would go for an older woman) but then sends me the kind of messages that could get both him and me into trouble if his girlfriend found them.

Now he's pretty much stopped texting me again and I feel like the bad one, I feel I've been has nice as possible in letting him down, I cannot force myself to like him any differently but I don't wanna loose is friendship while at the same time I wish he would stop sending me those sort of messages.

What should I do?

Meisje

Just leave him be.

You may want friendship, but he`s made it clear that he wants more and he`s not going to stop suggesting that. If he wants to be a snake in the grass and try to step out on his girlfriend, that`s his issue, but you don`t have to be a part of it.

This situation is a huge drama waiting to happen. To keep the peace, let the friendship abate. If you don`t, you`re going to find yourself in a bad situation when his girlfriend inevitably finds out.