Have you ever considered this?

BellaItalia1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda0410
This is almost happening now. Many of the counterfeits are incredibly good copies, especially some of the eyeshadows and some of the pigments as well. It is getting harder and harder to tell them apart.

We realise the irony in posting info here is that it actually helps the people we are trying to fight - but by keeping the information secret we actually prevent honest people from having access to a potentially helpful source.

There have been arguments for ages about people only buying from MAC, but its been mentioned before - what about the people whose countries dont have MAC stores or counters at all? I suppose they should be humble too and forget their MAC desres and find another suitable product?

And are we forgetting that it is ILLEGAL to sell counterfeit goods? Why should people HAVE to only buy from MAC? I understand that this is idealistic but ebay themselves are largely responsible. They are the host for the counterfeits and I would very much like to see some of the corporations SUE EBAY for actually doing so. Until someone starts making Ebay accountable for the role in the sale of counterfeits I am afraid it will continue.

Panda
drools.gif
fab post with valued points mentioned.I agree entirely until ebay will crack down on all those who sell this fake crap it will just continue....
ssad.gif
Ebay is a venue ... they are just interested in making money
angry.gif
until such time as Panda,mentioned that someone will sue their ar**s off for allowing these fakes to be listed as genuine!I saw last week one seller selling fake MAC liquid eyliner(spelling error and all "LIQULID"!)under "FAmous brand liquid eyeliner"!!
girl_devil.gif
My fear is that one day someone either will go blind or suffer some terrible allergic reaction and possibly could end up severly maimed or worse!

Saying all this there are 2 sellers on eBay UK,that i would happily buy MAC from..thank you Julie
mac_addict.gif

1165Cheryl

Quote:
This is almost happening now. Many of the counterfeits are incredibly good copies, especially some of the eyeshadows and some of the pigments as well. It is getting harder and harder to tell them apart.

We realise the irony in posting info here is that it actually helps the people we are trying to fight - but by keeping the information secret we actually prevent honest people from having access to a potentially helpful source.

There have been arguments for ages about people only buying from MAC, but its been mentioned before - what about the people whose countries dont have MAC stores or counters at all? I suppose they should be humble too and forget their MAC desres and find another suitable product?

And are we forgetting that it is ILLEGAL to sell counterfeit goods? Why should people HAVE to only buy from MAC? I understand that this is idealistic but ebay themselves are largely responsible. They are the host for the counterfeits and I would very much like to see some of the corporations SUE EBAY for actually doing so. Until someone starts making Ebay accountable for the role in the sale of counterfeits I am afraid it will continue.

I just want to add something to what Panda wrote, which I totally agree with and thank you. Like she mentioned, us writing down info regarding fakes does help the people we are fighting but we need to help honest people and buyers. To me it's worth the catch 22 situation..we don't know what they put in the fakes and a person's eyesight is more important then anything. The fakes sellers that know they are selling fakes and some admit they dont care, I truely do not understand morally how they can think that way. How can someone not care what they might be doing to someone else's sight?? Thats why I give my little updates on my MAC orders of any changes, mfg errors I see in a batch..anything to help keep people updated. Or fake sellers, products info & listings. I thank god for this place and all of us that put ourselves out there with information, listing names, products and everything a person would need to know about a fake that will help honest people. Panda, Xsqueeze-me, Redambition, julie150463, macattak, just to name a few out of so many that give so much of your time and input, thank you
thmbup.gif

Janice

I'm really sad philipgloss deleted their posts, they were well thought out and asked good Q's. Shame.
ssad.gif

caffn8me

Yes, I was very sorry too - it makes the thread rather puzzling to those who never saw the original posts
ssad.gif

panda0410

^^ITA. I think the OP had some good arguments, would have been nice for her to stick about for a bit.

1165Cheryl

I never saw her post's but it sounds like it added some interesting view points.....hopefully she'll come back.

caffn8me

The main thingsthe OP asked about was whether giving details of how to spot fakes here actually helped the fakers to improve their products.

I would be amazed if we didn't get counterfeiters checking out this forum.

BellaItalia1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffn8me
The main thingsthe OP asked about was whether giving details of how to spot fakes here actually helped the fakers to improve their products.

I would be amazed if we didn't get counterfeiters checking out this forum.

Sarah...that is really frightening thought
ssad.gif
..it's actually quite worrying
omg.gif

I have seen the fake MAC zoom lash mascara, and apart from few minor things (at the first glance you could be fooled that it was authentic)apart from:slightly shiny inner tube,smell of the fake mascara was like a nailvarnish remover,fake one was longer then the authentic ,the actual brush was different shape too,and the sticker on the tube said PLUSHBLACK 01 lol,although it clearly said ZOOM lash on the side!MAC logo was bit wonky too
thmbdn.gif

Mind you here is another fake MAC mascara that I just came across
a3f5_35.JPG

This one has some weird silver knobbly bits on the top ???
angry.gif

10 mac mascaras zoom lash on eBay, also, Health Beauty, Wholesale Job Lots (end time 08-Feb-09 12:27:46 GMT)
Phewwww he /she also has this horrid MAC pencils for sale ???i will post on a separate thread as i actually want an opinion ...on it
smiles.gif

caffn8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaItalia1969
Sarah...that is really frightening thought
ssad.gif
..it's actually quite worrying
omg.gif

It's precisely why I suggested a counterfeit forum should be members only when I first proposed there be such a forum.

panda0410

But I beleive that many of them may actually be (lurkers) members :| Members only wont stop the problem.

caffn8me

Quote:
But I beleive that many of them may actually be (lurkers) members :| Members only wont stop the problem.

No but it's possible to track members who view the forum from their IP addresses. I for one would advocate blocking access to the counterfeit forum to any Chinese IP addresses without there being a specific exception for legitimate users who prove their need to access the forum. For someone to register they have to provide a genuine email address. A lot of counterfeiters will be put off by that.

SakurasamaLover

Problem is the good ones will still find a way to put a hand on the info if the info is there. Sad but it's like that.
At that point I'll say the truth is the way when you doubt.

If someone with enough money decide to do real counterfeits someday, there is nothing we can do about it. Every human has a pair of eyes and a lot of them can perceive small details so: counterfeits are gonna get better until they reach the point were it's not worth it for what it cost or people get smarter...

caffn8me

The cultural tradition in China (according to a professor at Hong Kong University) is for the apprentice to learn from the master by copying.

The master doesn't want their apprentice to be better at making things than they are and always retains a little secret which means the apprentice's products aren't quite as good so not as valuable.

What we're doing on this forum is providing all those litte secrets which will allow the counterfeiters to make products indistinguishable on a website from the master's products.

Eleentje

Has it ever crossed your minds that it could actually be people from Europe/North America or AUS who give Asian shady factories/sweatshops ideas what they should counterfeit and then order it to distribute it here (and make big $$$$)? I mean, most of the Chinese wholesale sellers hardly speak any good English to grasp all the intricacies of the descriptions posted here.

fashionjunkiexx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaItalia1969
smell of the fake mascara was like a nailvarnish remover

scary! wth must be in it, im guessing its not suitable to put near your eyes! could make someone blind! :O

Rita Baumann

Well, I don't know what to do now. I actually found this site because someone suggested to me that Specktra is an authority on counterfeit vs. real products. I actually bought some counterfeit Mac (not on purpose) on Ebay. I wanted a color I couldn't find in the stores. The counterfeit was damn good - except for a few things I noticed. First, there was a pungent odor in the makeup. Secondly, I noticed that the real pigments have very fine horizontal lines etched in the inside of the jar. I can't seem to get the lines to show up in a photo - I was considering using my pro camera with a macro lens on to try to show it. Perhaps it is better not to take a photo after all - the fakers may see it and take notice.

For me, it was an easy lesson learned - I had real pigments to compare them with so I knew something was up. Many people do not have that advantage.

The corundum is - fakers copy what we post - so do we keep posting? Do we stop and leave fellow makeup lovers in the dark?