Headaches

Jade

I am experiencing really bad headaches, almost migraines, for the past 5 days. Is this a normal part of pregnancy? I have 2 weeks till my doctors appointment. I know you aren't supposed to be taking any apin medication while pregnant, but is there anything I can take? Tylenol? Advil? These are killing me!

Mandypaul

how far along are you Jade?
You need to be careful withe really bad headaches, it can be a sign of preeclampsia which is a sign that you blood pressure could be too high. I am sure it is not that but i would make an earlier appointment to see your doctor and then you can mention them and they will check your blood pressure, and they will also check to see if you have any swelling. I cant remember what tablets you are allowed to take but i did know, my friend is pregnant now, and i know she has not been well and taking tablets. So i will give her a call and ask her what you are allowed to take.

Mandypaul

hey i cant get a hold of my friend to ask her what tablets you can take sorry, i hope you are feeling better :)

MACATTAK

My friend is pregnant, and as far I know her doctor said Tylenol is safe. That's all she takes.

NutMeg

Jade I would definitely get an appointment with your doctor ASAP. It's probably nothing, but when you're pregnant you want to be overcautious. Take care of yourself, and I hope you feel better.

DevinGirl

Yeah it's always a good idea to check with a Dr., but Tylenol is safe to take. It's on the pregnancy medication list under 'Green Light' (safe to take during pregnancy). I hope you feel better soon!

i agree with all the others about contacting your doctor and letting him/her know that you are experiencing these headaches. also remember to drink a lot of fluids too and get plenty of rest because if you get the slightest bit dehydrated it can cause you to have headaches too. like everyone else has stated tylenol is safe to take. take a warm (not hot) shower to relax your muscles/self too!!! believe me, i can totally understand how you are feeling right now as i am the proud mommy of 4.

*Stargazer*

Call your doctor. Immediately. This can be nothing at all or it can be symptomatic of something serious.

Hang in there!

sitasati

um ...Actually, NOTHING is really safe to take the first 6 months of pregnancy even tylenol. The only thing you really can really take is regular strength tylenol which is 325mg...AFTER and I repeat AFTER you speak with your gyno.

Please be very careful of what you take as far as over the counter medications are concerned...some medications are not safe for pregnant women. Speak to your doctor before you take something.

panda0410

Actually there are many medications which are safe during pregnancy (although not considered desirable), and these have dozens of clinical trials which studied thousands of women to evidence this fact. Paracetamol in standard doses happens to be one of them, but like anything in pregnancy its best to be cautious. The first trimester or even the first 6 months is also NOT the only time women need to be cautious either - some medications have the greatest impact in the LAST trimester, and not just on mum - some of these drugs in fact have greatest impact on the baby in the last 12 weeks of pregnancy.

If your headaches are a new symptom you should see someone asap - like mandypaul mentioned headaches of this nature can be a sign of preeclampsia which I can tell you from experience is not pleasant and can be serious if not treated effectively, and high blood pressure is one of the signs of this condition - the consequences of preeclampsia can be much worse than high blood pressure. You should stress to your gyno if these headaches are new or getting worse, hopefully it will be nothing more thaqn your body adapting to the changes happening, but best to be safe and make sure
smiles.gif

belldandy13

i got a lot of headaches but i refused to take any medication for it throughout my pregnancy. mind you, they were bearable. nothing else was wrong with me though.

i agree with the other ladies - call your doctor asap just to make sure everything's alright, and get her okay to take medication for your headache. drink plenty of fluids as well.

i wish you all the best!