Heading to Cuba what should I bring?

tropical_smiles

Hey gals,

I'm going to Varedaro, Cuba in less than two weeks. I've never been there before and knowing how hot and humid it can get down there I was wondering if you guys could suggestion what type of make up I should bring (ie//ones that won't melt off my face for eyes, face, foundation, primer, etc).

Also I have really oily to dry skin depending on where on my face it is. What type of sunscreen should I use that won't break me out and doesn't feel heavy. I've never had a sunburn before so now i'm a little scared ha ha

Lastly, any suggestions for hair products? Items that are good to stop the FRIZZ!!!

Ohh i am so excited!!
th_DANCE.gif

nursee81

I would def use a primer for your face and e/s. I haven't had any luck with any so I can't suggest anything for the face. But for your eyes I would do UDPP. I live in south Florida and have been using the MAC face and body foundation and so far it has been pretty good not to melt off my face. Do you have a moisturizer with SPF? I know MAC face primer has SPF of 50.

TISH1124

I think you should bring...ME
greengrin.gif
Have fun!! I have always wanted to go to Cuba...I think that is my dh and my next vacation spot

nichollecaren

I live right next door to cuba! I recommend studio fix powder foundation (and blot powder for touchups). Works great for me, here --- but I have combination skin. You need a good moisturizer with spf! I use olay complete (spf 15). I would take a lot of glosses one or two lipsticks, and plenty sheer shadows and bronzers...think barefaced golden goddess
smiles.gif

I have relaxed hair, so i cant tell u really what would work for you...Biloage makes an amazing serum that kicks my frizzies to the curb!

HTH

anita22

In hot, humid weather I find it's best to stick to products that are lightweight and allow your skin to breathe... keep powdery products to a minimum!

I really like Clinique Sheer Moisture Tint instead of using foundation - it's completely non-greasy (more so than any other tinted moisturiser I've tried!) and it has good coverage and SPF 15. It's great if you have combo skin as it provides moisture without oiliness.

For powder, like I mentioned I think it's best to steer clear of overpowdering in the heat, an ultra-sheer dusting of MAC Blot powder on the T-zone is good as it's really absorbent and lightweight.

For eyes, forget the powder eyeshadow and go with a long-wearing cream eyeshadow. Paint Pots in light, shimmery shades are great for summery weather as they don't budge, try Bare Study (champagne shimmer), Rubenesque (shimmery melon) or Indianwood (frosty copper). For travel I also really like Shadesticks in nude pearly shades as you can just blend & go!

For eyeliner, a gel liner like MAC fluidline is great as it doesn't budge. I also really like E.L.F.'s eyeliner pen for travel, it's like a flexible felt tip pen (just like MAC's Penultimate liner in fact), so you get great staying power without the hassle of taking a separate brush. Plus it's dirt cheap.

For moisturiser / sunscreen, I really like this product from Paula's Choice:
Skin Balancing Daily Mattifying Lotion SPF 15 - Moisturizers: Paula's Choice Skin Care & Cosmetics
It's ultra lightweight, contains SPF15, and has a mattifying effect, which is great for summer. I originally began buying it for my husband as he gets quite oily in summer and also always forgets to apply sunscreen, then got hooked on it myself! I always order a couple of sample packets when I buy it online, so that way I can slip a few in my travel bag.

For frizz, try L'Oreal Elvive Anti-frizz serum. I have coarse hair that tends to be dry and frizzy if I don't put anything on it... love this stuff! You can use it to blowdry with and/or use it to smooth down dry hair.

lovekrumpet

I used to live in Florida, land of the humid and hot.
What I tended to do was wear was very light tinted moisturizer. I sometimes purchased this form physician's formula and a couple of other drugstore companies, but more often than not I would just mix some concealer with my moisturizer and call it a day. I would tend to focus on my eyes, doing very dramatic eye make-ups when not going near water and doing very sheer applications when swimming. I would invest in a good waterproof mascara for your trip if you don't already have one.
Lips I tended to go with a sheer gloss or balm that contained SPF.
For sunscreen I swear by Neutrogena's ultra sheer dry touch sunblock in whatever SPF you like. I tend to use SPF 30. For my body I always used a different sunscreen, Neutrogena's fresh cooling body mist sunblock in SPF 45. I didn't wear this on my body every day, only when I was going to be in the sun all day wearing clothing that didn't cover all the way (i.e. a bathing suit or short skirt). It has a slightly greasy feel, but truly is not bad at all. Plus, the cooling effect when you spray it on is a nice reprieve from the intense heat.

Hope that was helpful =) Have fun on your trip!

Makeup Emporium

You were given some great advice on makeup so I am going to give you some other tips.

First of all Cuba is great!! I went a couple of times and the beaches are fabulous! I found that the food is not as good as other islands but the weather, beaches and people are great!!

Make sure to bring any toiletry items that you are going to need; sunscreen, shampoo, conditioner, mouse, toothpaste etc. Those things are in short supply there and are hard to find. Then what you do find is very expensive.

If you are a snacker then again bring some with you. Gum, candy, mints, chips, chocolate etc. is again hard to find and when you do it is expensive.

We tipped the bartenders and wait staff the first day (even though it was all-inclusive) and they went out of their way to find us and gave us great service all week long (then we tipped them again on the last day). We also left gifts and money for all the cleaning staff when we left as a thank you for the great service.

Have an awesome trip and if you do have the time go and see Havana for a day while you are there (the hotels should all have day trips). It's not that far from Varadero and is a site to see!

I'm so jealous!!
yes.gif

tropical_smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursee81
I would def use a primer for your face and e/s. I haven't had any luck with any so I can't suggest anything for the face. But for your eyes I would do UDPP. I live in south Florida and have been using the MAC face and body foundation and so far it has been pretty good not to melt off my face. Do you have a moisturizer with SPF? I know MAC face primer has SPF of 50.

Great thanks for the tip on the primer. I use to use primer but recently I haven't. Not for any particular reason. I just ran out and never bought any. Hmmm have you ever heard people break our from primers before? I think that's my biggest fear. My face is pretty clear but I can't wear any of MACs liquid foundation because it breaks out my face
ssad.gif

tropical_smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by TISH1127
I think you should bring...ME
greengrin.gif
Have fun!! I have always wanted to go to Cuba...I think that is my dh and my next vacation spot

I know, I've been wanting to go for the past 8 years and never went. Finally my boyfriend and I have agreed to go sans friends!

tropical_smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichollecaren
I live right next door to cuba! I recommend studio fix powder foundation (and blot powder for touchups). Works great for me, here --- but I have combination skin. You need a good moisturizer with spf! I use olay complete (spf 15). I would take a lot of glosses one or two lipsticks, and plenty sheer shadows and bronzers...think barefaced golden goddess
smiles.gif

I have relaxed hair, so i cant tell u really what would work for you...Biloage makes an amazing serum that kicks my frizzies to the curb!

HTH

Hmm good idea on the golden goddess look!! I'm definately going to have to bring those now that you've mentioned it!! Also need to make a trip to the store to get biolage. I've used them before but heck, if it kicks the frizzes to the curb. I need it.

I normally straighten my hair with a straightening iron but i really don't plan on spending time doing that while i'm down there

tropical_smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by anita22
In hot, humid weather I find it's best to stick to products that are lightweight and allow your skin to breathe... keep powdery products to a minimum!

I really like Clinique Sheer Moisture Tint instead of using foundation - it's completely non-greasy (more so than any other tinted moisturiser I've tried!) and it has good coverage and SPF 15. It's great if you have combo skin as it provides moisture without oiliness.

For powder, like I mentioned I think it's best to steer clear of overpowdering in the heat, an ultra-sheer dusting of MAC Blot powder on the T-zone is good as it's really absorbent and lightweight.

For eyes, forget the powder eyeshadow and go with a long-wearing cream eyeshadow. Paint Pots in light, shimmery shades are great for summery weather as they don't budge, try Bare Study (champagne shimmer), Rubenesque (shimmery melon) or Indianwood (frosty copper). For travel I also really like Shadesticks in nude pearly shades as you can just blend & go!

For eyeliner, a gel liner like MAC fluidline is great as it doesn't budge. I also really like E.L.F.'s eyeliner pen for travel, it's like a flexible felt tip pen (just like MAC's Penultimate liner in fact), so you get great staying power without the hassle of taking a separate brush. Plus it's dirt cheap.

For moisturiser / sunscreen, I really like this product from Paula's Choice:
Skin Balancing Daily Mattifying Lotion SPF 15 - Moisturizers: Paula's Choice Skin Care & Cosmetics
It's ultra lightweight, contains SPF15, and has a mattifying effect, which is great for summer. I originally began buying it for my husband as he gets quite oily in summer and also always forgets to apply sunscreen, then got hooked on it myself! I always order a couple of sample packets when I buy it online, so that way I can slip a few in my travel bag.

For frizz, try L'Oreal Elvive Anti-frizz serum. I have coarse hair that tends to be dry and frizzy if I don't put anything on it... love this stuff! You can use it to blowdry with and/or use it to smooth down dry hair.

Will overpowdering in the heat create the cakey look?

I'm going to stop by the Clinique kiosk and see what they recommend for the sheer moisture tint. How much are these babies normally? Have you heard them break people out (my number one concern).

I have Bare Study paint pot but I didn't think these would hold in the heat. I would of anticipated them melting off. Are you using a primer to keep them in place?

Woohoo on blacktrack fluidline. That's one of my staples. At least I have one of these babies you suggested.

I'll look into the L'Oreal serum, I've never used their brand for haircare products.

Oh boy, I'm going to end up in a shopping frenzy.

tropical_smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekrumpet
I used to live in Florida, land of the humid and hot.
What I tended to do was wear was very light tinted moisturizer. I sometimes purchased this form physician's formula and a couple of other drugstore companies, but more often than not I would just mix some concealer with my moisturizer and call it a day. I would tend to focus on my eyes, doing very dramatic eye make-ups when not going near water and doing very sheer applications when swimming. I would invest in a good waterproof mascara for your trip if you don't already have one.
Lips I tended to go with a sheer gloss or balm that contained SPF.
For sunscreen I swear by Neutrogena's ultra sheer dry touch sunblock in whatever SPF you like. I tend to use SPF 30. For my body I always used a different sunscreen, Neutrogena's fresh cooling body mist sunblock in SPF 45. I didn't wear this on my body every day, only when I was going to be in the sun all day wearing clothing that didn't cover all the way (i.e. a bathing suit or short skirt). It has a slightly greasy feel, but truly is not bad at all. Plus, the cooling effect when you spray it on is a nice reprieve from the intense heat.

Hope that was helpful =) Have fun on your trip!

Awesome!! I think i'm going to buy the cool mist spray. I've bought it before and just liked how cold it felt *lOL*

anita22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical_smiles
Will overpowdering in the heat create the cakey look?

I'm going to stop by the Clinique kiosk and see what they recommend for the sheer moisture tint. How much are these babies normally? Have you heard them break people out (my number one concern).

I have Bare Study paint pot but I didn't think these would hold in the heat. I would of anticipated them melting off. Are you using a primer to keep them in place?

Woohoo on blacktrack fluidline. That's one of my staples. At least I have one of these babies you suggested.

I'll look into the L'Oreal serum, I've never used their brand for haircare products.

Oh boy, I'm going to end up in a shopping frenzy.

I think a full face of powder just looks unnatural in hot, humid weather. And yes it can cake up if you apply too much. Although my skin is really oily, I'll normally just powder in the T-zone only, and then use Clean & Clear oil blotting papers to keep shine in check (to avoid caking on too much). Plus there's nothing worse when you're hot and sweating and sticky, to have tons of makeup on. Your skin just can't breathe and it ends up a mess.

Clinique Moisture Sheer Tint doesn't break me out, even though I'm acne-prone. You could check out the reviews on Makeup Alley for more opinions though. For price just check the Clinique website, I got mine in New Zealand so I don't know how much it would be for you.

I've never had issues with Paint Pots sliding off in the heat, they hold up pretty well on me with nothing underneath, despite my oily skin. If you were concerned you could use an eyelid primer. But I definitely notice they wear longer than powder eyeshadows, at least on me anyway. The other reason I like them for travel is you can just smudge & go and don't necessarily need a brush. Usually if I'm out and about doing things on holiday, I'm after an eye look with staying power that's simple and fast (otherwise my husband teases me for taking too long to get ready, hahaha). Usually something like Bare Study & Indianwood together.

Latest posts