~Health Warning RE: Eye Make up~

*Luna*

Heard this on the radio... thought I would pass along the article as a heads up.

http://wcbstv.com/local/local_story_116113939.html

Full story here:

Health Dept. Issues Lead Warning On Eye Makeup
Officials Warn Consumers To See Doctors Immediately
(CBS) NEW YORK The New York City Health Department warned New Yorkers that some imported eye makeup should not be used because they contain high levels of lead.

The affected cosmetics, identified by the names "kohl," "kajal," and "surma," are imported from Asia, Africa and the Middle East, health officials said.

The products are available at retail outlets throughout the city.

"We are making every effort to inform people and let people know that these products can be dangerous because of the lead content," Assistant Health Commissioner Nancy Clark told CBS 2.

The Health Department said that these products are sold under a variety of brands, and not all are known to contain lead. However, lead levels are not listed on the package labels.

Health officials also said that the FDA has banned these products, which have been imported illegally.

“If you are using these products, stop using them immediately and call a doctor to request a blood lead test," said Health Commissioner Dr. Thomas R. Frieden.

In recent months, the health department said it investigated five lead poisoning cases involving children and pregnant women that related to use of the products.

If accidentally ingested, the products can cause lead poisoning.

The health department reports that children are at particular risk because they could put hands in their mouths after putting these cosmetics on their faces.

Most of the sampled products had lead concentrations exceeding the federal recommended limit of 10 parts per million (ppm) for lead in certain cosmetic additives.

According to a department release, the following products contained excessive levels of lead:
• Hashmi Surma Special (Made in Pakistan, 47 percent lead)

• “Pure Kohl from the Waters of ZamZam” (36 percent lead)

• Hashmi Kohl Aswad (Made in Pakistan, 27 percent lead)

• Hashmi Kajal (Made in Pakistan, 4 percent lead)

The Health Department has ordered storeowners to stop selling these products, and post a warning sign advising customers to stop using these products.

Officials also advise people who may have obtained and used these products to immediately stop using them, and call a physician to request a blood-lead test.

For additional information call 212-POISONS (212-764-7667).

More information is also available at the city's Lead Poisoning Prevention Program Site (http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/html/lea...-eyecos.shtml).

saniyairshad

Hashmi Kajal is very popular in India and Pakistan, and as far as I know they improve the eyesight. It is the darkest black kajal out there. People have been using this for years, I think the media sometimes needs something to talk about. I personally dont use this, but I know women have been using this for years altogether.
I dont want to offend anyone...

sweetsweettart

OMG, i have some of that stuff. The Hashmi kohl stick and the Loose Kohl. They actually are really good products as far as pigment and lasting power. Their site is very adamant that their products contain no dangerous levels of lead. But I am going to throw mine away.

do you know if this is just the products those companies have recently manufactured? I bought some last summer(my sister too), I havent used it in a while. I dont think I am anymore. Thanks for the heads up.