heels and work

lovemichelle

working in 3 and a half inch heels all day on your feet is killer. i honestly can not walk. none of my shoes are good to work in. even the flats i bought hurt.
ssad.gif

circusflavouredgum

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemichelle
working in 3 and a half inch heels all day on your feet is killer. i honestly can not walk. none of my shoes are good to work in. even the flats i bought hurt.
ssad.gif

Do you work retail? All shoes hurt when you stand all day..
ssad.gif

caffn8me

I'm tall so tend to stop at 2½" heels - usually knee high boots rather than pumps/courts to be honest. I can wear them all day and walk miles without being uncomfortable. I imagine that standing around is much more of a problem than walking a lot though. Have you tried gel insoles?

lovemichelle

i never thought of insoles. thanks. and yeah i do work retail and today was a HUGE sale. I didn't get lunch or a break in 6 hours.

circusflavouredgum

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemichelle
i never thought of insoles. thanks. and yeah i do work retail and today was a HUGE sale. I didn't get lunch or a break in 6 hours.

I know exactly how you feel, I work in a department store and stand all day too. I think the gel insoles are a great idea. Also I have found that if you wear shoes with a small platform in the front, instead of a completely flat front (of the sole I mean) the balls of your feet don't feel as sore.

jess98765

ohhh i'd love to wear heels all day long! i love heels and they don't hurt my feet at all!! i remeber a couple of months ago, our school had our school dance thingy and i wore my shoes dancing all night long, and still had them on throughout the whole of the after party which lasted till 10 am the next morning! my feet didn't really hurt that bad! i love my heels
smiles.gif

Ms. Z

True, all shoes hurt when you stand all day. In my experience, when you are accustomed to wearing heels, flats are uncomfortable. I'm an assistant in a large office, I sometimes have to walk around alot, so I purchased shoes with about a 1" rubber heel (similar style to the ones below, but by Reaction). OK, i purchased 3 pairs of the same shoe in 3 colors, black, red and teal.

168245-BLK.jpg
http://store.nordstrom.com/product/product.asp?styleid=2875585&category=2376778~23728 08~2372904~2376184&PrevStyleID=2877399&NextStyleID =2871282

Gel insoles feel really good, and wearing platforms also eases the pain (I'm not sure if these are still fashionable, I rarely see someone here in NY wearing them).

jess98765

cute shoes! i agree, if your feet hurt from heels get insoles or those funny bumpy things you stick on the heel of the shoe (the inside bit) and it stops your foot from feeling so much pain or something......

lovemichelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess98765
ohhh i'd love to wear heels all day long! i love heels and they don't hurt my feet at all!! i remeber a couple of months ago, our school had our school dance thingy and i wore my shoes dancing all night long, and still had them on throughout the whole of the after party which lasted till 10 am the next morning! my feet didn't really hurt that bad! i love my heels
smiles.gif

yeah they are fine if your moving around, but standing in one little area kills you.

there are like bubbles on my toes and i cant walk normally. i got the insoles, but my feet are too swollen for the shoes.

caffn8me

Feet tend to swell when you stand up for long periods because the calf muscles aren't constantly relaxing and contracting. It is this muscular action that actually pumps blood back up into the torso rather than the action of the heart and it is aided by one-way valves in the leg veins. When these valves fail you end up with varicose veins.

You can reduce the swelling by wearing support hose - the sort you can buy for flying is a good bet and by exercising your calf muscles as you stand still by tensing and releasing them. If there is enough room inside your shoes then wiggling your toes works well too. You just need to do something to stop fluid accumulating in the feet due to the combination of gravity and inadequate venous return.

pale blue

If you can, I would definitely invest in a pair of Easy Spirits. I know some people associate them with being granny shoes, but they are some of the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn (and I stand all day as well). The styles seem to be getting better too. I wear these shoes to work, and then wear my 'normal' shoes out and about.

lovemichelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerisier
If you can, I would definitely invest in a pair of Easy Spirits. I know some people associate them with being granny shoes, but they are some of the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn (and I stand all day as well). The styles seem to be getting better too. I wear these shoes to work, and then wear my 'normal' shoes out and about.

i actaully went to payless before work and got some flat shoes. they are very comfy. once the swelling in my feet go down they will be perfect. everyone told me how much they loved the heels, but they were happy i changed my mind because my feet would get messed up.

caffn8me

That sounds like the very best solution. You may still want to try the gel insoles when the swelling has gone down.

Isis

I used to work retail on marble floors & wood floors all day in 3 1/2" - 4" stilletto heels for several years as a manager so I NEVER got to sit down. My feet have never hurt. But then again, I'm very picky about them too, in brand and construction. No pointed toes! Then my feet would be in pain.

lovemichelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairladyZ
I used to work retail on marble floors & wood floors all day in 3 1/2" - 4" stilletto heels for several years as a manager so I NEVER got to sit down. My feet have never hurt. But then again, I'm very picky about them too, in brand and construction. No pointed toes! Then my feet would be in pain.

yeah you were moving around. i didnt get to move. i was in one little area for 6 hours straight. no break, no lunch.

if i was walking around i would have been fine.

makeup_junkie

I work retail (in a shoe boutique!!) and I have to wear 3 1/2 to 4 inch stilettos everyday. The quality of construction is the number one key to having a somewhat comfortable pump. Of course after working for 8 hours in a 4 inch pump, your feet are going to hurt. But I always cringe when I sell an $80 pump to someone because I KNOW their feet are going to kill them. I just sit there thinking, "I may have paid $300 for my shoes, but at least my feet will not hurt and I'll be able to wear these shoes for much much much longer than you'll wear those." The best way to gauge how well a shoe is made is to cut the retail price in half. For instance, a $52 pair of Chinese Laundry Spicy pumps only cost about $20 to manufacture.

scrapbookromance

for me, its always the balls of my feet that hurt in heels. gel insoles are great. I remember in middle school all the girls dressed up for the chorus concerts and wore heels so I had to as well or else I would have been significantly shorter than people around me who were usually my height - standing made me ankles and knees burn. I imagine 6 hours for you must have been very difficult!

Brelki

I'm an instructor, so I'm on my feet quite often. I found aerosoles and kenneth cole shoes to be awesome; they're stylish and comfy!

kat121085

I also like Aerosoles and if you still want height you could try wedge heeled shoes that are in style. I find they are sometimes more comfortable than flats but you aren't wobbling around on a skinny heel. You have more support and don't have to try to keep your balance.