Help - Are my pigments fake??!!

shooz

Hi everyone I'm new and need your help!
I've been reading all the info on fake MAC and found it really informative
th_wink3.gif

However, it has now sent me into panic mode. I ran to find my pigments to check them and I believe I may have 2 fake ones - Deep Blue Green and Teal.
cry.gif

I bought Deep Blue Green from divalaglam (Australia) on ebay and the Teal from candiigirlz (USA) also on ebay late last year. Both had excellent feedback and had sold a lot of stuff so I thought it was ok.

I've taken some photos below - one of the jar bottoms with some other pigments which I believe (hope) are authentic. The others have the matte lid and I'm quietly confident they're ok - but in saying that I really have no clue which is why I am here!

Unfortunately I threw away the boxes for all my pigments so I only have the jars and swatches to go on. To start, the DBG does not look blue green at all it looks more of a dark charcoal with a hint of blue. The Teal looks fine, it's just the lid that is throwing me. Both the lids on the DBG and Teal are more shiny than the other lids - that's what's throwing me. Also, MAC on the front of the jars is not at the same height on all the jars. I'm hoping this is ok as I'm sure it wouldn't match up perfectly on all the batches - but again I have no idea.

The clear caps on the inside of the jars all are stamped with numbers but I read that the fakes are really good now so I'm not sure how else I can definitively say if it's fake or real without going to a MAC Pro store - and there is none in my city.

This is my first post and I'm sure I'm going to botch it up and put the photos in the wrong spot so bear with me!

I'd be so greatful if you could give me your expert advice!

Thanks

D
Bottoms of jars.
Attachment 7872

Deep Blue Green
Attachment 7873
NEW SWATCH - This swatch was taken on a bare arm inside. It's a bit blurry but my husband got sick of taking about 20 shots of my arm! Left to Right: Teal, Deep Blue Green, Museum Bronze, Chocolate Brown, Cocomotion.
Attachment 7881
This swatch was taken outside but it was overcast. Left to Right: Museum Bronze, Chocolate Brown, Deep Blue Green, Teal.
Attachment 7874
Deep Blue Green Cap (the Teal cap looks the same)
Attachment 7875

If you need any other photos please let me know. I did take others but they turned out blurry because I was too close.

Pleeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaasee don't tell me the other pigments that are in the jar bottom photo are fake - I couldn't stand it!!!!!!!
th_drool.gif

VIC MAC

It looks as if the label on the DBG is seethrough and if that's the case - I think it's a fake! I've never heard MAC using a clear label.....not sure about the Teal!! Sorry.....

/Victoria

caffn8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooz
The clear caps on the inside of the jars all are stamped with numbers but I read that the fakes are really good now so I'm not sure how else I can definitively say if it's fake or real without going to a MAC Pro store - and there is none in my city.

Most artists who work at M·A·C outlets, even Pro stores, will not have the expertise to determine whether a product is fake. Some fakes have got so good that you will find that they may even give a false authentication of a fake product.

Please would you post some photos of your jars front-on and include the caps?

angi

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIC MAC
It looks as if the label on the DBG is seethrough and if that's the case - I think it's a fake! I've never heard MAC using a clear label.....not sure about the Teal!!

Because deep blue green is usually a pro colour, it would normally have a clear sticker. However, it should still have a batch number on the sticker, which there doesn't appear to be from the photo (unless its just not showing up?)

panda0410

Quote:
Originally Posted by angi
Because deep blue green is usually a pro colour, it would normally have a clear sticker. However, it should still have a batch number on the sticker, which there doesn't appear to be from the photo (unless its just not showing up?)

Its not just that either - the base of the jar shows a very clear indicator of counterfeit production. Even without the base sticker you would still know it was fake!

GlitterLids

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda0410
Its not just that either - the base of the jar shows a very clear indicator of counterfeit production. Even without the base sticker you would still know it was fake!

Hi--can you elaborate on what that detail is? Thanks.

pop violet

MAC uses both the silver and clear labels for their pigments. I'm looking at my Deep Blue Green and comparing it to your first picture. It doesn't look like there is, but is there a batch number underneath the color name "Deep Blue Green" on yours?

Mine says:
Deep Blue (1st line)
Green (2nd line)
A67 (3rd line)

Note that batch numbers will vary. The color looks identical to what I have and the picture of your cap is hard to tell... it started making my eyes fuzzy after awhile.
smiles.gif
I will take a picture of what I have here and post in about an hour.

SakurasamaLover

Deep blue green and teal look definitively fake to me. You would have to post more pics of the others... but the swatch you provided is scary for sure, they may all be fake...
More pictures are necessary.

panda0410

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakurasamaLover
Deep blue green and teal look definitively fake to me. You would have to post more pics of the others... but the swatch you provided is scary for sure, they may all be fake...
More pictures are necessary.

My thoughts too, and like I said so is the Chocolate Brown
thmbdn.gif

pop violet

Deep Blue Green Pics.. Hopefully this will work..! I just took some pictures of my DBG pigment for you to compare to. I apologize the pictures are so crappy, but there's hardly any lighting in here so I had to use the flash. I noticed certain angles captured certain engravings on the bottom of the jar, so pay attention to those. I'll have to take a look at your pictures again but the one thing that stood out was there appeared to be no batch code on the DBG label. I hope these pics help some!

MAC Deep Blue Green Pictures

shooz

Really?? You think the Chocolate Brown is fake? Why? The texture is beautiful - almost like flour, the colour looks like other swatches I've looked at - not the ones I posted though. I'm going to get a better photo of the swatches and post it again so you can have a look.

panda0410

I dont think it is, I know it is. I dont need swatches either sweetie - its in a fake jar - and the base shows that, no two ways about it. Sorry
ssad.gif

shooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda0410
I dont think it is, I know it is. I dont need swatches either sweetie - its in a fake jar - and the base shows that, no two ways about it. Sorry
ssad.gif

Hi - How can you tell? I've been staring and staring at that photo of the jar bottoms and I can't see any difference between them. Can you let me know please - thanks!