Help! I'm shiny ... :(

chipmunkvoice

Can anyone please recommend me something to control oil/shine? No matter what i do, my face goes all shiny and gross. I've tried MAC Loose Blotting Powder which works better than Everyday Minerals Silk Dust for me... but after the first hour i start to get oily. I do use those blotting paper things but sometimes... its not a good look to get out a piece and start blotting away.

Help?

bidadarieli

Yeah, I know what you mean about the blotting paper. I feel it's really gross when you have a sheet soaked up with oil for the whole world to see. Well, how about changing your cleanser if it doesn't control oil? I'm very oily around the t-zone and I use Eucerin's Mattifying Cleansing Gel which helps. I also discovered a great make-up base from Biore. I don't know if you can find it where you live, it's UV Perfect Face Milk (SPF50). It absorbs really fast and dries to a powdery finish. It's really cheap too, only RM24.90 (Malaysian Ringgit). It makes my face shine free for at least 4 hours.

JessieLovesMac

Hey Chipmunkvoice oily skin sucks! But in the long run it's a good thing!! It has been proven that people with oily skin develop less wrinkles over time! Yay! For oily Skin!!

But there are a few ways you can take away the shine!! Clay masks or mud masks are worthwhile, they will make your skin look and feel good! I would reccommend at least once a week. The darker the brown mud/clay, the more oil it absorbs. White or rose-colored clays, are gentler and work best on sensitive skin. Masks can cleanse the skin of surface greasiness, but don't expect them to "deep-clean" the pores or do anything more than temporarily tone the skin.

You should always wash your skin with Hot soapy water (try and find a really gentle drying soap for your face) Hot water plus soap will dissolve skin oil better than cold water and soap because more things dissolve in hot than cold, and that includes soap and the grit and grime you're trying to get rid of on your skin

Some good soaps are Cuticura Mildly Medicated Soap, Clearasil soap, and Neutrogena Oily Skin Formula, to name a few. These soaps wont damage your skin or dry it out to much. Some people feel that soaps like Safeguard and Dial are fairly drying, though these should do the trick. The thing is to make sure you use lots of it—go heavy on the soap and scrub that skin

Soap will degrease the skin!

Astringents with acetone are your best bet. Acetone is a great fat and grease solvent, and most astringents have a bit of acetone in them. If you use it regularly, you can surely remove oil from the skin.

Select cosmetics with care. Cosmetics come in two major categories oil -based and water-based. If you've got oily skin, use only a water-based product. There are many cosmetics formulated for oily skin. They are made to soak up and cover oiliness so the skin doesn't look as greasy. But no cosmetic has any magical ingredient that will slow down or stop oil production, so don't be lured into buying products that make such claims.

And last but not least, Baby powder, that is. For additional shine-free protection, some women find that simple products such as Johnson's Baby Powder make a superb face powder when fluffed lightly over makeup.

Hope this helps your oily problem
smiles.gif

oopsiwentglam

maybe try MAC's oil control lotion? i've been using the blot powder as well and it only helps for so long so i'm wanting to try the oil control.
as well, at my make up artistry class i got to try my teachers MAC product called "matte" and that seemed to work really well for controlling the oil.

~Crystal~

What are you using as a base before you put on your make up? If you're using a creamy moisturiser or base, that might be adding to the problem... I find I only need a light gel moisturiser before I put on my make up, unless I'm feeling reaallly dry, or I'll end up oily in a couple of hours! And cleanse your face properly before putting anything on of course
smiles.gif

Also yeah... choose your make up products with care
smiles.gif
Perhaps powder foundations would be better than liquids?
I've got the MAC pro invisible powder on its way to me in the mail... so I'll let you know how that goes. It's supposedly good at controlling shine, but we'll have to wait and see!

SmileyfacedPen

I LOVE Smashbox Anti-Shine. It's $27 USD for a 1 oz. tube, but I've found that I only need a tiny amount for it to work beautifully. I've been using it for almost two months, I think, and it hasn't caused me to break out. Plus, after using it nearly every day, it still looks pretty damn close to full!

If you don't have a store that sells Smashbox near you, you can order from Smashbox.com (in the US only, unfortunately.) or Sephora.
smiles.gif

BlahWah

MAC's Prep & Prime spf has worked wonders for me... well, 1/2 a day of fairly matte skin is a wonder imo! Check how your skin works with lighter/gel moisturizers tho, b/c I find that my skin ends up releasing more sebum for what it didn't get in my moisturizer. So far this spring I've been using Studio Moisture cream which isn't usually recommended for oily skin but it's worked for me and doesn't make me greasy. For foundation I've been using the new Mineralized Loose but even with Select spf my skin has behaved for a decent amount of time with the P&P spf and SMC combo.

PBunnieP

As some one previously suggested, a clay/mud mask is really great for oilies.
I HIGHLY suggest "MASK OF MAGNAMINTY" by LUSH Cosmetics. They specialize in natural ingredients. Works great if you use it 1-2x a week.

Here are the ingredients [in case you are allergic to any]:
Bentonite & Water, Kaolin, Honey, Talc, Phaseolus Angularis Seed Powder, Glycerin, Oenothera Biennis (evening Primrose) seeds, Mentha Piperita (peppermint) oil, Tagetes Erecta Flower extract, Vanilla Planifolia Fruit Extract, Parfum, Methylparaben, Chlorophyllin-copper Complex

TDoll

I have oily skin as well and I love the MAC Oil Control Lotion and the Green Gel Cleanser. After using the green cleanser for a while (about a week), I really noticed my skin getting less oily.

Make sure to use a primer but BE CAREFUL which one...Not all of them will deliver the same results for every skin type. I would NOT recommend the popular Smashbox Photo Finish for oilier skin types. MAC Prep+Prime Skin primer is best for oily skin.

I'm not a big fan of the blot loose powder...to me it can look cake-y...but I love love love the blot pressed powder. Use it over your t-zone after applying your makeup. Also, stay away from liquid foundations when you can. I like Studio Fix powder foundation for oily skin.

Although you have oily skin, DONT forget to moisturize!! If you deprive your skin of the moisture it needs, it will over compensate and you'll get oilier throughout the day. Use a light moisturizer regularly before applying primer and foundation.

chipmunkvoice

a BIG thank you everyone
greengrin.gif

First, i'm going to try the LUSH Mask of Magnaminty because i use their Angels On Bare Skin and absolutely ADORE that. I was using Biotherm's Aquasource moisturiser and just recently changed to Shiseido Pureness Mattifying Moisturiser which made me break out... so i'll definitely snoop around for a gel moisturiser. I haven't been using a primer so i'll start using one... but unfortunately no Smashbox here in Australia.

My skin is kinda weird. If i don't put ANYTHING on... no makeup, not even moisturiser my skin seems to be perfectly fine - not dry or oily. But as soon as i cleanse, tone, moisturise and put makeup on..... hello shine -__- ugh!

Again, thanks guys <3

Lipglass*Lover*

*~*My skin gets pretty oily too...what works for me is setting my foundation with MSF Natural...just a light dusting on the areas that tend to get oily (nose & forehead). HTH!!
winks.gif
*~*

Trista

My face gets really shiny and oily too. And I've tried sooo many things. When I go out I use this blotting powder called Matte Maker by Laura Geller and it really works for me. When I use this stuff my face does not look oily at all in photos (which is quite a miracle for me - believe me). So far I haven't had any reaction to it and for now I'm liking it. HTH.

KimmyAnn_678

Try finding a toner that has the powder in it that helps absorb/mattify skin (I use Clinique Acne Solution), a mattifying lotion (I use Estee Lauder's Clear Difference) and a good face primer as well. Until I got a good skin regime going, I always used EL's Double Matte foundation that really helped keep the greasiness down as well. But after I found the correct skin care for me (including a clay mask and chemical exfoliation nightly) I found that I can now use regular oil free foundations.

xiahe

Personally I like blotting papers and imo it's better to use those than to put more powder on your face because that can cause your pores to clog
ssad.gif

I LOOOOVE the Boscia Blotting Papers that they sell at Sephora. $10 for 100 sheets the sheets are huuuge - about twice the size of the Clean & Clear ones. I use the green tea ones. It doesn't contain mineral oil or anything like the Clean & Clear ones (and actually a lot of blotting papers contain mineral oil) and even tho I never had problems with breakouts, I didn't like the idea of putting mineral oil on my face.

My skin is oily too and to combat that I use Queen Helene's Mint Julep mask about once or twice/week. It *can* be drying so be careful but my face feels so refreshed after using it! You get *A LOT* product for only a couple bucks at CVS so try that.

I don't wear foundation (just a tinted moisturizer) but what about trying Smashbox's Photofinish Light Primer (it's oil-free). It's supposed to reduce shine and stuff..you can wear it alone or under foundation (or under your tinted moisturizer...which I'll probably start doing because I got a free sample of it yesterday at Sephora
smiles.gif
)

PBunnieP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmunkvoice
a BIG thank you everyone
greengrin.gif

First, i'm going to try the LUSH Mask of Magnaminty because i use their Angels On Bare Skin and absolutely ADORE that. I was using Biotherm's Aquasource moisturiser and just recently changed to Shiseido Pureness Mattifying Moisturiser which made me break out... so i'll definitely snoop around for a gel moisturiser. I haven't been using a primer so i'll start using one... but unfortunately no Smashbox here in Australia.

My skin is kinda weird. If i don't put ANYTHING on... no makeup, not even moisturiser my skin seems to be perfectly fine - not dry or oily. But as soon as i cleanse, tone, moisturise and put makeup on..... hello shine -__- ugh!

Again, thanks guys <3

If you like BIOTHERM... you could try their BioPur Melting Fluid Moisturizer, its made for combo/oily skin. Can't offer you any more details since i've only just started using this on and off :p

Kisbee

Oddly I found that the more oil-based cleaners I used, the less oily my face was...not that I'm now shine free, but it's much better than it was!

Milk of Magnesia as a primer worked pretty well for me, use it sparingly, let it dry and then brush off whatever white it may have left behind.. plus it's really cheap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmunkvoice
Can anyone please recommend me something to control oil/shine? No matter what i do, my face goes all shiny and gross. I've tried MAC Loose Blotting Powder which works better than Everyday Minerals Silk Dust for me... but after the first hour i start to get oily. I do use those blotting paper things but sometimes... its not a good look to get out a piece and start blotting away.

Help?

I read another message about using possible a bar soap on your face, although it will dry it out it will create problems later. That is a big NO NO. Using drying soaps on your face cause your sebaceous glands to over produce oil because there isn't any and your skin will end up worse and broken out. It sounds like you need to find good skin care not makeup. If you are severely oily no makeup will get rid of that. What you can do is (I would use a professional oily/problem skin line) Keep up with it twice a day. It will not be over drying and it should balance out your skins oilyness. Make sure you still use a moisturizer with essential oils but not too many oils. Usually they will feel very light on the skin. You can find good professional matte moisturizers to control your shine and oils. Murad has a great line for your skin, I am sure you seem them every where. PCA skin, Keyano...etc. Check with an Esthetician and let them see what is best for you. If you have any more questions I would be glad to help you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisbee
Oddly I found that the more oil-based cleaners I used, the less oily my face was...not that I'm now shine free, but it's much better than it was!

Milk of Magnesia as a primer worked pretty well for me, use it sparingly, let it dry and then brush off whatever white it may have left behind.. plus it's really cheap!

Yes you're right! That happens because since you are introducing oils to your skin you trick your skin into producing less oil!