HELP: Makeup 4 black & white photos

mspicky

the most important thing to do is learn to contour, and learn to blend. Also, practice. Shimmer matters, it makes areas lighter than you see by eye because of the flash. If it's a pale shimmer and you MEAN to hilight that area, then it's fine, but if you shadow that you are contouring with has shimmer, that's gonna show lighter than you see it and that may not be what you intend. B+W is all about light and dark, and if you can't have ultimate control over your products and you are not yourself a photographer. I'd stick with matte everything. That way you know how it will look in pictures. With experience or if you are a photog, you can control the situation better. Also be aware, for headshots for modelling or acting, what the agencies want is super natural, super bare-faced perfect skin looks. Especially in B+W. Concentrate on the skin and super subtle contour effets.

Tara

when i went to get my senior pics done someone was getting b/w pics and they had her put red lipstick on (they had little samples for girls to put on) it pretty much just had to be a dark color for their lips..thats only thing i know about b/w pics

hth
Tara

princess_jenilee

wow.....THANKS mspicky!! :p u know your stuff. I figured that i should go all matte due to the flash but u clarified everything for me! This is my first job for headshots for acting and I appreciate all ur help!
~jenilee

I agree with mspicky. Anything shiny or shimmery will show up as lighter b/c it will reflect the light in th picture. Also, they recommend powdering the neck and chest/shoulders area because that can also reflect light as it probably won't be as matte as your face.

Latest posts