Help me get more use out of these

Myosotis

I need some ideas on how to use a couple of shadows that are just sitting on the bottom of my MU stash...

Amber Lights: I love the way this color looks in the pan and I often play with it on the back of my hand and try it in combinations with other colors. I can't really pull it off on my lids, though. It looks a bit like a yellow bruise or something. I need suggestions where to put it on my lids.

Nylon: This is a little too white and and bright as a highlight for daytime use for me. My favorite highlight is Shroom and I just got Ricepaper today. I usually put Nylon in my inner corner to brighten it up but it will take me forever to use it up this way! Any other suggestions?

Velvet Moss: I reach for this as a liner but I never seem to get any other use out of this. Ideas?

I have checked out the awesome MAC Eyeshadow Combination list but I need some help with placement of the shadows.

I am NW20. Green eyes and medium brown hair. I own the following MAC shadows but I'd love to buy some more:
Shroom, Retrospeck, Velvet Moss, Sumptuous Olive, Star Violet, Bronze, Patina, Nocturnelle, Nylon, Amber Lights, Satin Taupe, Ricepaper

Thank you!
winkiss.gif

- Majbritt

miss_supra

I sometimes use Nylon as a wash on the lid and then matte eyeshadows to give them a bit of a frosty look.

Amber lights on the lid and any pink/red/cranberry color in the crease is good, even pairing it will blues. My favorite with Amber Lights is it on the lid, shroom on the brow bone with Amber Ligths difused in into shroom. You can use Nocturnelle on the lower lash/waterl line. Or even but some Nocturnelle in the crease.

Velvet Moss I am at a loss. I bought it and it is a yucky green.

xoleaxo

i love amber lights! i put it on 3/4 of my lid, then trax on the outer lid plus crease/outer v. looks pretty!

Myosotis

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_supra
I sometimes use Nylon as a wash on the lid and then matte eyeshadows to give them a bit of a frosty look.

This is a really great idea that I will definitely try.

Quote:
My favorite with Amber Lights is it on the lid, shroom on the brow bone with Amber Ligths difused in into shroom. You can use Nocturnelle on the lower lash/waterl line. Or even but some Nocturnelle in the crease.

I tried this today and I think that with some practice I will be able to pull it off.

Quote:
Velvet Moss I am at a loss. I bought it and it is a yucky green.

I love greens and this is no exception but I just find the texture rather difficult to work with. I can't get it to look even.

Thank you for your input!

iheartangE

If you don't like Amber Lights on your lid, try it as a crease or outer V color...I get a lot of use out of my Amber Lights by using it in the outer V with Motif or Fab N' Flashy (from C-Shock). You could pretty much use it like that with any gold, yellow, or pale orange to make it look three dimensional.

I don't have Nylon so I really can't speak from experience on that one...I do know that a lot of people use it as a browbone highlight? You may try it packed onto your lid (the 239 brush is awesome for that) with Nocturnelle or another dark color in your crease, which sounds good to me but I haven't actually tried it, haha.

And Velvet Moss is no longer on the MAC site, so I can't tell what color it is, but I know it's a Veluxe finish which is my personal favorite
smiles.gif
If I remember correctly it's like a deep olive green? If so, you can use it in your outer V or crease with lighter greens on your lid...and this may sound nuts, but I love deep olives paired with cranberry reds. For example, Velvet Moss on your eyelid with a deep red (MAC's Cranberry or UD's Gash) in the crease, blended well, with a dark brown (MAC's Espresso or Brown Down) in the outer V, then lining with the deep red and some sort of mixing medium to make it a liquid, and finally adding Shroom as a browbone highlight. Sounds dramatic but it can be a really pretty, unique looking smoky eye!

Anyway I know I'm not super well-versed in those shadows but I hope that helps you out some!! Good luck
smiles.gif

glamqueen1

I often use Amber Lights or other gold/ bronze shadows lined along the outer part of upper and lower lash lines, looks gorgeous together with any pink, brown or green, try for instance moss green! And it's beautiful with brown eyes! Also nice to use with orange for sunset-eyes on hot summer evenings..

PomPoko

I bought velvet moss ages ago and it was a favourite of mine for a while. I think it looks really good with Gorgeous gold on the lid, with a bit of sumptuous olive and then velvet moss in the outer v!

KTB

I love Amber Lights as a lid colour with Tempting (chocolatey brown) in the crease and Retrospeck (goldish but you could easily use Shroom) as a highlight.

I use Nylon as a highlight when I'm using yellowish colours or with greens.

janwa09

Amber Lights on lids and Bronze on crease, outer V.

Nylon as an overall wash of colour on your lids, then apply Sumptuous Olive on lids then Velvet Moss on crease, outer V. Add more Nylon on inner eye corners and middle of lids.

Myosotis

You guys are brilliant! Thank you so much for your great suggestions - I'm working my way through them all!

Myosotis

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwa09
Nylon as an overall wash of colour on your lids, then apply Sumptuous Olive on lids then Velvet Moss on crease, outer V. Add more Nylon on inner eye corners and middle of lids.

I tried this today and my husband commented that he really liked my makeup. He usually doesn't notice it but he said that it looked really pretty. I guess this combo is a keeper
thmbup.gif

I have one question: what exactly is a "wash"? How do I apply it and what brush do I use?