Help me please! Can't figure out makeup for my dress

Belini

Hey ladies,

I'm NC 42 Indian girl with brown almond shaped eyes and black long hair and full lips.
I have an important event coming up and I have this gorgeous dress but I can't decide on makeup to match. Its basically red - think the colour of redhead matches box or a fire fighters engine and its quite tight. Jewellery will be silver and so will shoes.
I was thinking smoky eye but no matter how much I try, I end up looking like a panda and I have followed various tutorials as well.
Any help will be much appreciated.

ebonyannette

I would say try the smokey eye, just go lightly on the black eyeshadow. It doesnt take a lot to look smokey. Maybe try just smudging your liner to start with then go from there?

dominichulinda

when smoking out the outter part of your eye..insert that brush (#222/#217,#224 etc which ever fits your fancy) into your crease(want to add more umph! to the outter than the inner part of your eye)..and open your eyes wide..so you brush is stuck in there..and swish it back and fourth...that helps me sometimes
smiles.gif

nazneen372

I'm also South Asian and I've always found black/dark grey shadows really difficult to wear smokey, it makes me look like I've been punched. I always tend to opt for a shimmery dark green or teal smoky eye instead, which I think would look nice with your dress too as I think red+black smoky eyes can looks a bit dated sometimes (if you're not careful and very light of hand it can end up as quite a harsh 80s look?).

If that doesn't work/isn't to your taste, a silvery or nude shadow like Woodwinked would look nice and fresh with red, with a sheer red blush and nude gloss, and it keep the focus on the dress.

Belini

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominichulinda
when smoking out the outter part of your eye..insert that brush (#222/#217,#224 etc which ever fits your fancy) into your crease(want to add more umph! to the outter than the inner part of your eye)..and open your eyes wide..so you brush is stuck in there..and swish it back and fourth...that helps me sometimes
smiles.gif

Wow sounds really hard! is there a tute of this anywhere??

Belini

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazneen372
I'm also South Asian and I've always found black/dark grey shadows really difficult to wear smokey, it makes me look like I've been punched. I always tend to opt for a shimmery dark green or teal smoky eye instead, which I think would look nice with your dress too as I think red+black smoky eyes can looks a bit dated sometimes (if you're not careful and very light of hand it can end up as quite a harsh 80s look?).

If that doesn't work/isn't to your taste, a silvery or nude shadow like Woodwinked would look nice and fresh with red, with a sheer red blush and nude gloss, and it keep the focus on the dress.

I did a test with my bright red dress on with a smokey eye using knight devine and only a small amount of carbon and it just didnt match, it was too much I felt even with no blush and only vaseline on my lips. Plus it accentuated my dark circles, even with concealer on.

I have really large lips so I dont ever wear rid lipstick or gloss, brightest Ihave gone is Lychee Luxe and that's used very little.
ssad.gif

I didn't realise this was so stressful! I'm literally losing sleep and I swear I am dreaming MAC

dominichulinda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belini
Wow sounds really hard! is there a tute of this anywhere??

check the tutorial section on here or search it on YT

imperfectbeauty

i would say probably do a nice minimal make up look since your dress is so bright and smokey eye will look a bit strange. You could do a bronzey/brown smokey eye perhaps. So bronze on the lid and darker brown or bronze in the crease and perhaps a tiny bit of black blended in the outer crease and under your lower lash line. highlight with a light golden white e/s. then a very light pink for the lips and cheeks since you will be highlighting the eyes.

just a thought.
smiles.gif

Belini

I think ill do a brown smokey eye and try it out. Should I use warm browns or cool browns? Also does anyone know a good brush to apply eyeliner and smudge the bottom lash line? the 219 is too big for me

nazneen372

Quote:
I did a test with my bright red dress on with a smokey eye using knight devine and only a small amount of carbon and it just didnt match, it was too much I felt even with no blush and only vaseline on my lips. Plus it accentuated my dark circles, even with concealer on.

I have really large lips so I dont ever wear rid lipstick or gloss, brightest Ihave gone is Lychee Luxe and that's used very little.
ssad.gif

I didn't realise this was so stressful! I'm literally losing sleep and I swear I am dreaming MAC

I thought so, it accentuates my dark circles too (I spoke to a MAC SA about it she said lots of WOC have this issue, and to opt for bright jewelled colours instead - like teal, green, purple).

I'd opt for warm browns - I think cool browns will clash. I'd go for a light beige/nude shimmer shadow with MAC Teddy kohl in a flick, very soft and pretty.

imperfectbeauty

Quote:
I think ill do a brown smokey eye and try it out. Should I use warm browns or cool browns? Also does anyone know a good brush to apply eyeliner and smudge the bottom lash line? the 219 is too big for me

Use warm browns because cool browns wont really suit the dress. Also to apply eye liner if you have a angled brush that works well for applying liner and smudging the bottom lash line. mac as the 263, 266 brushes which are both angled brushes which can be used for both applying eyeliner and smudging close to the lash line.

Belini

I think Green might clash with the red?

What about if I use Shroom as a wash and Espresso or Bronze in the crease and heavily line the eyes with maybe fake lashes?

Simply Elegant

I think a brown smokey eye with those colours you mentioned would be easier to pull off and blend. It wouldn't be as dramatic as black but I think it would look better.

imperfectbeauty

that would look really good actually...i dont think doing anything with a lot of color like greens would look good. fake lashes can definately play up the eyes.

imperfectbeauty

well i had a bit of time today so i did a look that may or may not work for you...im not sure. I hope this helps you though in figuring out how to do your make up
smiles.gif

i used Amber Lights, Coppering, Pandemonium, Smoke & Diamonds, Black Tied, and Solar White. I used Bateux l/g on my lips. I found a top that was close to red but not exactly the color that you will be wearing but it's all i had. So hope this gives you an idea. The crease is a bit dark irl but the flash kind of washed it out.

DSC07877.jpg

DSC07875.jpg

DSC07883-1.jpg

this one i think is closest to irl
DSC07880-1.jpg

Belini

^^ That's gorgeous!! Its the exact colour of my dress as well
smiles.gif

I'll give it a go this weekend, thanks so much for thinking of me, I love this website and you guys!!

imperfectbeauty

thanks!! i wasn't sure about the top but it photographed brighter then it is irl. lol. so i guess it helped. haha!! look forward to hearing what works out for you.
smiles.gif

Latest posts