Help needed with a winter foundation color!!

kris

Hi everyone,
I really need help. I cannot find a shade of foundation to wear in winter (i live in australia its winter at the moment). In winter I am a little less tanned than summer, I am greek and have naturally tanned olive skin. I have tried so many foundations! I wear nc45 select tint in summer and it is perfect!! But I cant find a shade to wear in winter. I have tried nc40 select tint and i look grey, ashy, sallow and lifeless. Its like it changes the color of my skins pigment or something. I look like I have a grey flat cast all over, sorta like it drains the natural color of my skin.
If anyone who has this same problem, please help. I have asked diff makeup artists but they all dont understand as they dont have coloured skin.
I like sheer liquids in foundations, dewy finish, any suggestions?
I'll just give some examples of foundations I have tried.

MAC select tint NC45 - perfect in summer, NC40- terrible
Giorgio Amarni Luminous Silk #8 - perfect in summer #7- grey!, #6.5 a little better than 7 but still lifeless.
Dior Purelight #400 great in summer

Sorry bout the long post, but suggestions would be appreciated.
Also if anyone understands why some foundations make skin look ashy and could explain to me that would be great.
From trying diff foundations I am starting to think that the more yellow based, the more grey. I think I need something with a hint of brown or bronze. But I need something not too dark for winter.

blazeno.8

Generally I have to go outside of MAC alone to get a good color for myself. I mix my MAC foundation with my Clinique foundation and I get a more realistic color than just one or just the other alone. Right now since I'm going through a transition (I'm not my winter tone anymore and I'm not a full on summer color either), I'm just wearing a powder foundation so that my natural color can show through, but look a little more polished for work.

PolyphonicLove

I know ladies on my other forum that have this prob occasionally, like me...why not try adding a gold flecked moisrizer to your normal foundation to lighten it up? the moistuizer will keep the foundation from making you look washed out! :]

thelilprincess

if NC45 is perfect for you in summers, and you already have NC40 that isn't so great.......why not custom blend it yourself?

i was matched as NC300 in Hyper Real foundation....and the MA noticed that i am more tanned on the forhead/nose (and this was in late fall, so my summer tan should have been faded). anyhow, the MA gave me a small sample of nc400 so i can custom blend with the NC300 when i'm a little darker all over.

play around with it. pour equal amounts of both NC45 and NC40 in your palm, or back of your hand and mix. apply to your face and see if it needs to be darker or lighter.

Winthrop44

I know you said you like sheer liquids with a dewy finish but...if you want to give mineral make-up a try Alima has olive shades and it's cheap and easy to mix shades using their samples:

www.alimacosmetics.com

Might be worth a shot.

kris

thanks for that everyone
question for polyphoniclove, can you recommend any of those gold flecked moisturisers, id love to try it!

rouquinne

what about putting Strobe cream under your foundation?

it has iridescence that will warm up the tone.

miss_emc

Generally what happens when the colour gets ashy is that there is too much pink in it (and your an olive undertone). Even though MAC has NC (yellow) and NC (pink) undertones in their foundations, some colours can be more pink/yellow than others. Have you thought of trying some of the other foundations like Hyper Real, Mineralize Satinfinish or Moistureblend? They are all lighter coverage foundations with dewy finish.

juicyaddict

i agree, custom blend foundations. mix in a bit of highlighter like strobe cream, or like me i mix revlon bare it all or my duwop face revolotion. also use natural msf powder on top, this gives glowy skin. right now i use nc40 in select spf, and i don't have my tan yet. i also have nc40 in studio fix which is way darker than nc40 in select spf so i mix the 2 until i get to my tanned summer skin which by then i will be nc40 in studio fix. i use medium natural msf to set my foundation, but i may have to get the medium dark very soon. also recommend dusting a bit of bronzer on top even though it is winter, i prefer to get my healthy glow with the help of bronzer.

kris

hi miss emc thanks for the reply. I havnt really tried many pink based foundations. I feel that yellow based foundations is what makes me look grey when it is a lighter yellow. The darker the foundation in yellow based the better it looks on me. But when I have to use a lighter yellow based foundation (for winter) I look dull and drained. All this undertone thing is really confusing!
ssad.gif
I have read so much conflicting info on the net about undertones. Some people say that olive skinned, yellow undertoned people can look worse if the foundation is too yellow based and some people say that pink based is what makes the grey look. On the mac website it also says that in some cases you should go the opposite undertone to counteract it. I have tried the MAC Select tint in NW35 and its not too bad. Not perfect, but better than the NC40 believe it or not.

juicyaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris
thanks juicyaddict. What color of revlon bare it all and duwop face revolution do you use?

i use revlon bare it all lustrous lotion in buff, in duwop face revolotion -conchita. HTH!