Help*red lips*!!

trip75

I've decided to try red lips! I need some help trying to decide what to purchase.

Now, I'm normally a gloss girl. Not big on lipsticks...but I'm trying to change. I really love the pin up look. With real dark black liner and no frills everywhere else.

I'll include a pic so you can see what i'm workin with. I am an NW25, which I think I need to go a little lighter...but you get the idea. I also have hazel green eyes and light brown hair. I have rosacea so my cheeks and chin are kinda red. No matter how well I cover it up It still shows through a little.

I also like the "gothish" reds...kinda purplish but I'm afraid they make my teeth look yellow tinted!

I don't particularly care what brand. Maybe cheaper at first. Then if I decide It works on me I'll get a dupe from MAC.

Any suggestions would be super appreciated! You girls are all so talented! TIA!!!

This is a pic with my face fully done. Hopefully you get the idea.

nunu

Rimmel has a nice red i forgot what it is called, but do check them out!

iheartangE

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunu
Rimmel has a nice red i forgot what it is called, but do check them out!

It's called "Scream" I think.

Also check out NYC's Retro Red lipstick-it's only 99 cents and it's a great brand to check out when you're still trying to figure out what red looks best on you
smiles.gif
For reference, I believe Retro Red is slightly orange-tinged
winks.gif
HTH!

trip75

Thanks girls. So should I aim for a more orange-ish red? I know there is one that is supposed to make your teeth look whiter but I can't remember if its the orange undertoned one.

Sanayhs

Blue-based reds are the ones that will help make your teeth look whiter. The orange-y ones will bring out the yellow. Since you're more of a gloss girl but want a more lipstick look... Have you looked into MAC's lacquers? I love Fanplastico which is 'vivid intense bluish-red with red shimmer". Not cheap, but if you can go to a store to try it on, it's worth consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip75
Thanks girls. So should I aim for a more orange-ish red? I know there is one that is supposed to make your teeth look whiter but I can't remember if its the orange undertoned one.

Amaranth

Oh baby, check out the mattene lipstick Night Violet if you still can. I didn't find it made my teeth look yellow at all, and that's also something I worry about. I have a very recent FOTD of me wearing if it you wanna see it, it's beautiful! Definitely my favourite lipstick. If you apply it with a brush you can really layer it from sheer purple to an almost black-purple. Plus it's a mattene so I wear it to the bar all the time and never have to reapply it, not matter how much drinkin' or making-outin' I'm doing, hahaha.

Also, if you're looking for a more goth, vampy red, check out Dark Side lipstick. It's a really nice deep burgundy colour. Check this FOTD out:http://specktra.net/f166/sexy-linger...ge-fotd-93353/ , ashley_v85 uses it there.

panda0410

try NARS Fire Down Below - its a deep blood red thats utterly gorgeous! I have tried all sorts of reds but this one is truly the best!

frocher

I love Nars trans-siberian and mac russian red. They both make the teeth look very white and are gorgeous on.

trip75

You guys effin rock!! I don't know what I'd do without all the great people at specktra.
I'm gonna go out shopping this weekend and try to pick up a few of these. I'll start from cheapie then move my way up.

stacylynne

I personally like Russian red & MAC red - both blue reds.
If you want to go darker, Diva is a matte deep burguny wine.

SparklingWaves

I have a hard time finding the best blue red lipstick. I too am in the NW family. I am NW15. I found the best blue red lipstick. It's a matte. It's a true blue red. It's by Aveda.

Here it is. (This is pictured with a flash). The color is called - rambutan. I would defiantly test it first.

(This is pictured without flash. See below.)

There is another one that's not as dark and more muted red called shizandra. It's more versatile.

sparklingmuse

the only red lippy i have is from kryolan, in sf. im not sure where else they may have it, but i love the red lipstick they have. its 1.99 or 2.99, and the red gloss $5. its AWESOME! kryolans colors are just as pigmented as mac's, they do bodypaint makeup etc for cirque de soleil...

revinn

I'm red-phobic, and the only red I'm brave enough to wear is the MAC Slimshine in Lovey Dove. It's a combo lip gloss / lip stick, so it's sheer but buildable. Smells like vanilla, too. It's a brick red, I would say. Covergirl lipsticks in the silver packaging..TruShine, that's it, they make a nice red. It's called Valentine Shine, number 475. Very pretty, reasonably priced lipstick. Kinda smells weird though, so you'll need a nice balm or gloss over it (seriously, they reek).

Latest posts