Help with eyeshadow!

MAC-Addict03

Hi lovely ladies of Specktra! I hope i'm posting this in the right place but my question is if there's anything I can do with a few Mac eyeshadows I've been having trouble with. Specifically cork eyeshadow, sumptuous olive and sometimes satin taupe. When I put these eyeshadows on my lid individually I don't know what I'm doing wrong but they start to look like dirt on my lids instead of the actual color. I'm a NC35 for reference, I use UDPP as a base and I blend my little heart out but I can't seem to make these colors work for me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ladies!

specktra_rocks.gif
mac_haul.gif

Hey girls, sorry it took me a little while to get the picture up to show you what I mean but its such a process with photo bucket lol. so this is what these colors (Sumptuous Olive and Cork-both Mac) looks like when applied to my lid. any suggestions are greatly appreciated, I really want to make these colors work! Thanks ladies!

(its clickable)

KeishaG14

I've never had that problem, but I do notice that if I don't put some sort of base on my lid like on of the great NYX cream shadow pencils, my colors don't come out the same. I know you said you use UDPP as a base, but I use my NYX pencil over that.

LMD84

hhmmm that is strange. most days i use a paint pot, nyx jumbo pencil or something over udpp. but equally on the days i do not the colour still comes out fine.

are you patting the colour on? maybe that would help? patting rather than brushing? and maybe you are over blending it perhaps? and have you tried using another base like a paint pot to enhance the colour?

MAC-Addict03

It is strange and that's why I'm wondering what i'm doing wrong because I love browns! I don't own any of the NYX pencils so I haven't considered trying that but maybe I should. Any color rec's? I'm willing to try anything that will work!

I have used other primers such as Mac painterly paint pot and bare study but I'm not noticing a difference. And I have been patting the color on and not brushing it on (I actually tried both) I might be over blending but I am going to take your suggestions and try them out because i'm determined to make this work, it was just getting frustrating.

afloresm13

Hi there,

I have Cork, Sumptuous Olive, & Satin Taupe.. here's what I found worked best (for me at least) when using them:

Cork - I like to use this as a crease color, only bc when I've tried it as an all-over lid color it does look kind of dirty :/ I just think it looks better as a crease color paired w/a nice neutral (like Grain or Naked Lunch) for a natural sculpted eye.

Sumptuous Olive & Satin Taupe are sooo pretty! I usually use a Paint Pot as a base (Soft Ochre or Bare Study are my everyday go-to's... but if I want the colors to "pop" more, Sumptuous Olive looks amazing over Moss Scape paint pot, and Satin Taupe is realllly pretty over Blackground paint pot).

Anyway, when I use them by themselves (as an all-over lid color) I usually have to blend it out with an eyeshadow that matches my skintone (I'm an NC37 & I like use Soft Brown).

So first I apply the Paint Pot. Then I apply the the eyeshadow all over my lid. Then I get a tiny bit of Soft Brown on my blending brush, and VERY gently blend out the harsh line/edges of the lid color outward so that the color "fades" or "melts" away into my skin, if that makes any sense.. lol.
smiles.gif
I found that blending w/an e/s color that matches my skintone helps the lid color naturally blend out better and look more natural
smiles.gif
hth!

Almond_Eyed

Maybe you could post a picture? It might help us get a better idea of what's going on. Try to take the picture in daylight without using flash, use the macro setting (the flower thingy) for a close up shot so we can see the details.

MAC-Addict03

I will try to post a picture tonight so you can see what I mean. Thanks for your help ladies I really appreciate it! I love these colors and was a little disappointed that this is happening, so we'll see!

friedargh

Hiya!

Regarding your look that you have posted, I would actually have reversed the colours as it may be a bit more flattering and create a bit more depth to have the matte in the crease. So i would try sumptuous olive all over the lid, and then cork to blend out this colour (not too high). Then in order to give the eye a bit more dimension I would use a darker brown like handwritten in the outer v and/or crease and then bring it down to the lower lash line. I think it may be easier for you to create this look with 3 colours
smiles.gif

I've heard some people have had trouble with satin taupe I don't use mac foundation so I couldn't really give you an exact idea but I have quite tan asian skin. I like to use satin taupe all over the lid with a dark purpley colour (like smut or magnetic fields) in the outer v, crease and lower lashline. A really easy smokey look! Also, have you tried just using satin taupe by itself? Apply it only on the lid, and then blend out the edges being careful not to overblend.

Hope that helps somewhat and good luck! If all else fails, you can always swap on specktra :p

MAC-Addict03

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedargh
Hiya!

Regarding your look that you have posted, I would actually have reversed the colours as it may be a bit more flattering and create a bit more depth to have the matte in the crease. So i would try sumptuous olive all over the lid, and then cork to blend out this colour (not too high). Then in order to give the eye a bit more dimension I would use a darker brown like handwritten in the outer v and/or crease and then bring it down to the lower lash line. I think it may be easier for you to create this look with 3 colours
smiles.gif

I've heard some people have had trouble with satin taupe I don't use mac foundation so I couldn't really give you an exact idea but I have quite tan asian skin. I like to use satin taupe all over the lid with a dark purpley colour (like smut or magnetic fields) in the outer v, crease and lower lashline. A really easy smokey look! Also, have you tried just using satin taupe by itself? Apply it only on the lid, and then blend out the edges being careful not to overblend.

Hope that helps somewhat and good luck! If all else fails, you can always swap on specktra :p

Thank you so much for the suggestion in reversing the colors, I didn't even think of that lol! I will def try it though and hopefully these colors can work for me cuz there so pretty in the pan but haven't looked good on my eyes.

As far as satin taupe goes I love that color i've used it by it self as well as with some dark colors like carbon or mulch. So with that color I don't have much trouble. Thanks for your help!

specktra_rocks.gif

Latest posts