Help with hair coloring

mac_obsession

Ok..I have naturally auburn hair..dark red/brown...

Im in a rut and wanted a change so I wanted to go chocolate brown with blonde and red highlites/lowlights...

Well I dyed it brown last nite, and all it did was get darker and redder...

My question is - Do I need to bleach it before I dye it brown?

I'm SO aggrevated!!!
th_confused_new.gif
:|

Thanks for any help...

PinkDot

I think for what you want to do it would be best to go to the hairdresser. I think it would be really hard to do that at home.

Juneplum

hey you!! u KNOW what i would recommend
greengrin.gif
your hairdresser will be able to get it lighter.. she'd have to lift your color to make it lighter, then deposit the color u want... ( i just asked my hairdresser)
greengrin.gif

jeanna

I think you would have to "lift" some of the natural darkness out of your hair to be able to achieve the chocolate brown colour. But I just want to ask, are you absolutely, positively sure that you want to incorporate both blonde and red at the same time? The reason I'm asking is because red is very hard to maintain and fades extremely fast (I'm talking within days, and that's even if you go to a professional). Therefore, to prolong the life of red hair, you'd have to use red coloured shampoos/conditioners to deposit more red when it begins to fade.... but this could alter the colour of your blonde pieces and make them look orange or pinkish.

Just a thought...
smiles.gif
It just sounds like you would have to go to a professional and spend an arm and a leg to achieve this look and you may not be able to enjoy it for as long as you'd like without having to shell out more money. I've heard of girls who have done the whole red/blonde combo, and while it looks great, it doesn't last very long unless you don't wash your hair.

Good luck with it though!! Post some pictures if you do it
winks.gif

mac_obsession

thanks so much for the suggestions
smiles.gif

I actually bought some stuff to remove all color from my hair, basically bleach without the damage, so it leaves it clean enough to recolor the color you want...I kinda like it now tho, it used to be lighter red now its like dark dark red...I might keep it like this for a while, and then go brown, at least until I get sick of it
greengrin.gif

GoldieLox

I have like platinum hair on top and then a vibrant red underneath and yes it is really hard to keep the red the actual color that i want it. it fades so fast! and i have an amazing colorist who does it.. she uses aveda hair color. but i just wanted to let you know that i use the john freida shampoo + conditioner for reds all over my hair (i used to use the one for blondes on top and reds on bottom but that got old real fast haha) and it hasnt seemed to turn the blonde pinkish or orangeish at all and it has helped with the red a little. i just wanted to share my experience from one blonde/redhead to another. haha.

Latest posts