help with makeup sale issue

kimmae17

So I had a sale over in LJ a few weeks ago. A woman bought a heatherette palette off of me. which in the sale was listed as tested once.
She since recieving it, states that she was under the impression it was brand new, and wants her money back.

(she privatedly messaged me during the sale and asked if it was new, and i said mistakenly said yes. )

I responded that it was listed as tested on the sale, and apologized for the confusion of the private message, I had been referring to a diffrent item and got confused. and suggested that for a full refund that she should return the item to me (with delivery confirmation), and i will refund the full price and her shipping costs.

She continues to send me rude cursing emails stating that she doesnt trust me and will not send it UNTIL she gets a full refund. She has filled with paypal. ( i used delivery confirmation so i have proof she has it)

Usually I am more than fair. ( i have 100% postive feedback onboth MUA and ebay)
the only issue I have EVER had was a cracked MSF, which the buyer and I agreed a partial refund was appropriate. Usually I would continue to be more than fair to keep up my great feedback, but this woman is being ridiculous. I dont think its unfair to request she return the item before i issue a refund?
I mean its a heatherette palette! haha i would want that back!

also shes not a member of the mac_cosmetics community. is there a reason people are not accepted to the community?

advice???

Lissa

I don't think it's unfair to request the item be returned to you before you send a refund. In fact I thought that that is what's meant to happen in any sort of dispute like this involving paypal, although I could be wrong.

I don't understand why she felt she had to message you to ask if it was new when it said used in the listing (but then again, from experiences selling on ebay for a while now, it appears some people often don't read details properly). There is no need for her to be especially rude however over a misunderstanding like this.

Is her claim with paypal over an item 'not as described' or something like that? Do Paypal have a guide on what to do in this sort of situation maybe?

kimmae17

thanks for the response! yes it is listed as "not as described"
right now its just listed with paypal as a complaint, so thers not a lot of listing as what to do, other than resolve it youself. it does say that I can request the return of the item (which sounds totally normal to me) and recommend delivery confirmation. She hasnt escalated it yet, (which i guess is where paypal really gets into it) she just keeps sending me emails saying i am untrustworthy and and how i would benefit in life if i am more straighforward and not shady. i cant even write back anymore becuase i am about to get innapropriate. i think shes trying to get her money back and keep the item.
honestly if it were an item i didnt care about i would consider doing some refund just to keep my 100% positive feedback, but i like the heatherette palette! i would want that back!

NicksWifey

If it was listed as tested once, I honestly don't see either why she felt the need to PM you to ask if it was new or not. It sounds to me like she's probably a trouble making bitch, especially if she keeps sending you rude emails.

Can you file anything with PayPal on your behalf, especially with the rude, cussing emails?

kimmae17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksWifey
If it was listed as tested once, I honestly don't see either why she felt the need to PM you to ask if it was new or not. It sounds to me like she's probably a trouble making bitch, especially if she keeps sending you rude emails.

Can you file anything with PayPal on your behalf, especially with the rude, cussing emails?

I could escalate the issue myself with paypal, normally the person that initiated the problem is the one to escalate (now its a little complaint thru paypal to me, escalating means having paypal take over.) I am just sick of checking me email and getting all mad about it! haha I mean she should see i have all good feedback and am willing to work with her, and she just keeps being rude.

Lissa

I don't think paypal can give the money back to her unless she has proof that it was delivered back to you or unless you say it was.

I agree with NicksWifey, she sounds to me like a trouble making bitch. I would send one curt email back stating clearly that, in accordance with paypal's guidance, she should return the item to you with delivery confirmation which she can then submit to paypal along with a claim should it turn out you are as 'shady' as she thinks and don't refund her. Otherwise there is nothing that can be done for her - I really don't think you would get the item back if you refunded her first. I definitely think she thinks she's going to get to keep it and get her money back

kimmae17

yeah i def sent a "curt email" i mean i want the palette back if i am refunding her. at this point i feel like shes going to do something weird to me and i am going to end up with some eye infection! hha

Lissa

eww!!

There are some ladies on this board that helped me a lot when I had a problem that involved paypal, they give some great advice and know the correct procedures so hopefully you should get a knowledgable answer soon

Girl about town

Sounds like she is trying to con you, you send refund and then she keeps eyeshadow, stick to your guns!! she can send you the pallette first x

MACATTAK

Definitely agree with the others. You need to receive that palette back before you can give a refund. If you bought something at a store, you wouldn't get any type of refund until they received the item/s back. Also, make sure you tell her that she needs to send this palette back with either delivery or signature confirmation (for both of your protection). If she's acting this crazy, you never know what she would try to say.

purrtykitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACATTAK
Definitely agree with the others. You need to receive that palette back before you can give a refund. If you bought something at a store, you wouldn't get any type of refund until they received the item/s back. Also, make sure you tell her that she needs to send this palette back with either delivery or signature confirmation (for both of your protection). If she's acting this crazy, you never know what she would try to say.

And I'd add that if it isn't returned in the condition it was sent to her, she's not going to get a full refund. There's no reason why she should get all her money back if she did something that damages your palette.

janelovesyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissa
I don't think paypal can give the money back to her unless she has proof that it was delivered back to you or unless you say it was.

You're right. Paypal won't give money back without the buyer sending the item back and sending proof that it was sent back and received.

You should probably just wait for the claim to be escalated or escalate it yourself and let paypal take care of it. Either way, the only way she'll get her money back from paypal is for her to return it first. That's illogical to think someone will give her her money back without having the product. They don't do that at shopping stores, so why would you do that?

SkylarV217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissa

I agree with NicksWifey, she sounds to me like a trouble making bitch. I would send one curt email back stating clearly that, in accordance with paypal's guidance, she should return the item to you with delivery confirmation which she can then submit to paypal along with a claim should it turn out you are as 'shady' as she thinks and don't refund her. Otherwise there is nothing that can be done for her - I really don't think you would get the item back if you refunded her first. I definitely think she thinks she's going to get to keep it and get her money back

I completely agree! Be sure to keep the rude e-mails she has sent you ... plus a copy of the original listing .... ( so if a dispute comes about PAYPAL sees how it was listed when she bought it ) . She wouldn't win the dispute especially without sending the item back. A lot of times buyers send the item back then lose the dispute so they are both without their money and their item ! She is in the wrong , b/c she should have read the listing!

duckduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarV217
She is in the wrong , b/c she should have read the listing!

Ehhhh, I disagree there. While the listing was correct, the seller did make a mistake and told her different. The buyer shouldn't have needed to ask the question in the first place, but I wouldn't say that part of the story necessarily puts her in the wrong (although the rest does!).

Since she is the one freaking out, cursing, and being rude, you absolutely have the upper hand. If this thing is escalated (or if you choose to escalate it yourself), you have proof that you were polite and offered a mutually amicable solution which is in accordance with Paypal's guidelines. I mean, I totally understand being disappointed by a misunderstanding in something like this, but sheesh - it's nothing to freak out over!

I have been selling on e-bay for a few years, and while it is really rare, sometimes people are just really strange about these things. I hate it so hard when a buyer questions my integrity like that. It really makes me furious because it is something I pride myself on both as a person and as a seller. I have difficulty writing coherent, polite e-mails to people who are being shitty, so I have a couple saved on my computer that I can just adapt to the situation and use. That way, I can't forget anything important or say anything dumb
winks.gif
I adapted one for this situation really quick - I *think* Paypal's policies are still the same as when I wrote it, but you may want to double check if you use this:

"Dear ______,

I am truly sorry for this misunderstanding, and I am very interested in seeking a resolution which is satisfactory to you. In accordance with Paypal's guidelines, you may return the item in its original condition and I will gladly refund the entirety of your purchase price including shipping - a total of $__.__. Unfortunately, I cannot issue the refund until the item has been returned as this is not recommended by Paypal. I understand your concerns about sending the item back to me, but fortunately you are covered under Paypal's buyer protection program. I assure you that will not be an issue, however, as long as you obtain and keep your delivery confirmation for the package when you send the item back, Paypal will refund the money if I fail to. Again, I truly apologize for the confusion, and I hope that this e-mail clears things up some. It is important to me that we find a mutually agreeable solution to this, and if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask"

If she's trying to scam you, she'll probably just shut up. If she really does want return the palette and get a full refund, then this should help her understand the policies, and feel comfortable doing things in the right order. Either way, if you double check the Paypal policies and send this you will at least have your ass completely covered.

kimmae17

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckduck
Ehhhh, I disagree there. While the listing was correct, the seller did make a mistake and told her different. The buyer shouldn't have needed to ask the question in the first place, but I wouldn't say that part of the story necessarily puts her in the wrong (although the rest does!).

Since she is the one freaking out, cursing, and being rude, you absolutely have the upper hand. If this thing is escalated (or if you choose to escalate it yourself), you have proof that you were polite and offered a mutually amicable solution which is in accordance with Paypal's guidelines. I mean, I totally understand being disappointed by a misunderstanding in something like this, but sheesh - it's nothing to freak out over!

I have been selling on e-bay for a few years, and while it is really rare, sometimes people are just really strange about these things. I hate it so hard when a buyer questions my integrity like that. It really makes me furious because it is something I pride myself on both as a person and as a seller. I have difficulty writing coherent, polite e-mails to people who are being shitty, so I have a couple saved on my computer that I can just adapt to the situation and use. That way, I can't forget anything important or say anything dumb
winks.gif
I adapted one for this situation really quick - I *think* Paypal's policies are still the same as when I wrote it, but you may want to double check if you use this:

"Dear ______,

I am truly sorry for this misunderstanding, and I am very interested in seeking a resolution which is satisfactory to you. In accordance with Paypal's guidelines, you may return the item in its original condition and I will gladly refund the entirety of your purchase price including shipping - a total of $__.__. Unfortunately, I cannot issue the refund until the item has been returned as this is not recommended by Paypal. I understand your concerns about sending the item back to me, but fortunately you are covered under Paypal's buyer protection program. I assure you that will not be an issue, however, as long as you obtain and keep your delivery confirmation for the package when you send the item back, Paypal will refund the money if I fail to. Again, I truly apologize for the confusion, and I hope that this e-mail clears things up some. It is important to me that we find a mutually agreeable solution to this, and if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask"

If she's trying to scam you, she'll probably just shut up. If she really does want return the palette and get a full refund, then this should help her understand the policies, and feel comfortable doing things in the right order. Either way, if you double check the Paypal policies and send this you will at least have your ass completely covered.

thank you so much for the sample! i feel back that i wrote in theprivate message that it was new and i apologized for it! the next email she sentme she went on and on about how i never even apoligized. it was then i realized there was something weird with her. I escalated the issue with paypal, this is what i got back from paypal

"As you may already be aware, PayPal's Buyer Complaint Policy applies
only to the shipment of goods and not to complaints about the attributes or
quality of goods received through an eBay transaction. Therefore, we
will not conduct an investigation into this matter at this time.

We do, however, reserve the right to begin an investigation within 180
days if we determine it is necessary. "

so then SHE writes to me "You are a sad little person and I can only hope you figure it out better as you go along in life. It will all eventually catch up to you. Do NOT contact me again, I am done with you and your crap items for good!"

kimmae17

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelovesyou
hmmm, she might be a little insane. Does this mean she's not even going to send back for a refund?

well i WANTED to write back to ask that exact question, but she stated to never contact her again, so i guess shes not returning it???

MACATTAK

Sounds like she's not even going to return it. Sometimes you just can't win. I would have been a little upset if something was not in the condition described, but I'd get over it if the seller was willing to work something out.