Help With Powders

coconut

I love MAC powders and have tried quite a few of them. I really like Blot powder, especially for the summer. I like how it gets rid of shine, but doesn't look like you are wearing makeup. However, it felt a bit dry last winter, so I decided to try Select Sheer powder and I really liked that too - a nice matte finish, but not detectable on the face. Now I've decided to try the natural MSF and I got the New View one in medium today. I like how it makes me look glowy, but it seems like my nose and forehead look more shiny than with Blot or Select Sheer. Does anyone else notice this problem? Also, is anyone else worried that the shimmery part of the New View compact will mix with the natural MSF...I certainly don't want shimmer on my whole face.

Oh and I got the 182 brush today because I desperately needed a new face brush and I'm not exactly sure how to use it - do you apply the powder in a circular motion?

Thanks!

gigiopolis

I've heard a few cases where the New View MSFN's were different from their regular counterparts, and they felt more shimmery than the regular ones. It's probably because some of the shimmery bit mixes with the natural part unintentionally.

Maybe try just the regular MSFN, not the New View one. The regular MSFN might be a little less matte and should give you a more glowy look than the Blot or Select Sheer powder, but nothing too crazy.

If you're really concerned about the New View MSFN being too shimmery, you can just stick with your Select Sheer powder, and use the MSFN as a highlight for your cheekbones, or anywhere else you'd want a highlight.

Oh, and as for how to use the 182 brush, I basically just do what you said - apply in a circular motion, or "buff" the product into the skin. This is especially effective for mineral makeup.

Kiseki

Powder wise, I do feel that MAC's Blot Powder is the best one of the bunch, although in the Winter, it can become too drying on combo or normal skin.

If you want a matte finish, forget all about the MSFs, which are still too shimmery for a natural, I'm not wearing makeup kind of look. I find the pearly finish of MUFE's Shine-On Powder far more subtle.

You can also try Chanel's Poudre Universel Compacte, which is a mattifying pressed powder that isn't drying on the face. Armani's Luminous Silk Pressed Powder is also very good for setting foundation and doesn't dry you out either with a luminous finish without being glittery or shiny.

coconut

Thanks guys. I'm still really on the fence with this one. I can see why people wear MSFN as foundation because it has wayyy more coverage than Blot or Select Sheer...and I'm not sure that is something I want because it seems easy to overapply. On the other hand, I do like the shimmery peachy side, although I'm sure there are other highlighers out there that would do the same thing. I can't decide if I should keep the New View and go get a Select Sheer or just exchange for the Select Sheer.

If I completely return the MSFN can I still use the kabuki brush for any powder or do I need a different brush if it's not a mineral powder?

erine1881

blot powder isn't supposed to show. it doesn't provide any color or coverage. its only function is to control shine. select sheer gives very minimal coverage, but if you like how it covers, stick with that.
th_dunno.gif

if you're wanting something that will provide coverage i'd stick with the MSFN. if you're worried about the shimmer side of your new view mixing with the natural side, then take it back and exchange it for the full size MSFN.

i like to use the 150 so that i don't put on too much of it, but then if i want a bit more coverage, i use the 182. or just use a lighter hand with the 182.

coconut

Thanks everyone! I am considering just keep the New View because it does make my skin nice and glowy and then purchasing Blot or Select Sheer to use over it in my particularly shiny areas and to keep in my purse for touch ups. Do you guys think that would be fine and 2 types of powders won't look cakey? Might go with the Blot if I keep the New View because the Blot is strictly for shine.

coconut

So, just to follow up on this thread, I did go and get the Blot and I headed directly to the mall washroom to apply and it was like a breath of fresh air! I honestly don't know why I thought I could live without it! Sure, I am liking New View because the MSFN is good for a little more coverage than I normally wear and the shimmery side is a beautiful peachy colour that is very flattering, but I need my Blot for shiny spots!

Latest posts