help with retro 80's look

Shawna

I am going to a retro 80's party in a few weeks and need help remembering the makeup. Does anyone have some colour suggestions? I don't know if I should do goth, or punk, or just preppy. Any help would be appreciated. Maybe someone could create something for the FOTD?? I have lots of colours, but I am always looking for an excuse to buy more........heh heh.
greengrin.gif

leppy

New Wave! New Wave! New Wave! Could be gothy too lol

Check out old pics of Debbie Harry, Siouxsie Sioux etc. You could probably find some exact fotds to copy.

If you just want colour recs.. heavy blue matte e/s, too much black liner.

Shawna

I was thinking freshwater and maybe au contraire.........definitely eyeliner. I lived through the 80's, but sure don't remember the makeup. I don't think my mom let me wear it. Gasp. I guess that's why I am so obsessed now. :p

ms.marymac

I used to do sort of a checkerboard pattern with purple and lavender e/s around the mid eighties.
oh.gif
ops:

From what I remember about the 80's- Lots of bright colors, strong blush that contours your cheekbones (anyone remember the stripe?), bright lips. I also remember side ponytails and banana clips. You could even find some clues from 80's movies like Valley Girl, Pretty in Pink, etc. I am thinking of the character played by Annie Potts in Pretty In Pink, great example of an 80's look.

Don't forget Cyndi Lauper!

God I'm old.

clairewear

Yes, think Knots Landing or Dallas (if you've seen reruns). LOTS of racing stripe blush with heavy blue eyesadow (3 shades, to be sure) and fully lined eyes (black, of course). And don't forget those big shoulder pads! Or you could pull your hair up in a high side pony with a 4" wide lace bow! (oh my goodness, I really AM old!)

mymymai

Since I like pictures more than words:

trixi1.jpg

I used
Eyes:
Bare Canvas as base
Bitter all over
Meadow in crease
Humid in outer V
Digital Jade s/s under eyes and extending to temples

Cheeks:
Primpin
Love Dust glitter

Lips:
Garnet l/l
Boy magnet l/g

We just had a 80s themed Rocky and I got so many compliments on this 80s look. You could change the colors around to pink and orange, yellow and orange, etc...just keep it bright and outrageous and you will be set.

Shawna

Thanks for the great picture. I totally forgot about the blush on the temple thing. My friends and I always used to do that. Pictures are just so much easier to explain things with. I am too chicken and camera shy to do post pictures, but you look fantastic. In fact, all the pictures in the FOTD are so cool!!

ms.marymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairewear
Yes, think Knots Landing or Dallas (if you've seen reruns). LOTS of racing stripe blush with heavy blue eyesadow (3 shades, to be sure) and fully lined eyes (black, of course). And don't forget those big shoulder pads! Or you could pull your hair up in a high side pony with a 4" wide lace bow! (oh my goodness, I really AM old!)

Remember when everybody wanted to know who shot J.R.?
lol.gif

PnkCosmo

Yay! Sounds fun!!

I went to an 80's party a few weeks ago. I was kind of a combination between Robert Smith, Debbie Harry, & Joan Jett...LOL.

I actually won the costume prize, though! I was the only 80's rocker girl, and everyone else dressed like 80's Valley girls w/ the side pony-tail.

I did really dramatic dark eyes, noticeable blush, goth lips, and teased my hair to high heaven! I'll post a pic for ya later.