Highest producing cosmetic counter @ YOUR store

amoona

So I am moving to LA (finally) in September and am considering leaving MAC for another line. I love MAC and everyone at work and the artistry we get to express but living so far away from my family I'd rather work for a line that will allow me to have a weekend off to come visit family. I've had one weekend off since starting with MAC and that was when I took my vacation.

I'm considering either working for Bloomingdales or Nordstroms but I wanted to get some feedback from everyone who works in retail. At your department store what is the highest producing counter? I know it'll vary by store and location but I just want to get an idea. And please share your experiences if you work or have worked for a line other than MAC.

FYI I know weekends are required in retail and I don't mind that. But if I want one weekend off a month (which Bloomingdales promises) to visit family I want my weekend! So sadly ill probably have to leave MAC.

crissy22

Don't give up hope hun.. You should try applying to different MAC locations here and see if you can only work weekdays. They will probably take in consideration that you already work for MAC, and that you will have to be traveling. Can your current manager refer you to the district managers in L.A?

Sorry I can't answer your question about other cosmetic lines..

amoona

Well that's the thing I don't want to be required to work every weekend which goes hand in hand working with MAC. Its not a good balance between work and life. But thanks anyway.

lipshock

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoona
Well that's the thing I don't want to be required to work every weekend which goes hand in hand working with MAC. Its not a good balance between work and life. But thanks anyway.

Talk about it, Amoona! Not to mention the weekends are killers. ugh.

Do what is best for you, girly. I know MAC definitely is not flexible when it comes to not working on the weekends, even when you have a legitimate reason, so I hope you can figure out a solution for this.

baybehbekah

i can only speak for nordstrom on the east coast, but when i worked there the mac artist got one weekend off a month. since you're a nordstrom employee the schedule works alittle differently.

i've worked for a number of lines and seriously mac has been the busiest & i feel the most rewarding. but if i were to work for another line it would either be Bobbi Brown, Laura Mericer, or Clinique. they all have a good built in customer base and stay fairly busy. down side about clinique is they have gift and you have to pre-sell, that i couldn't do to save my life! but something to think about
smiles.gif

hope that helps
smiles.gif

Simply Elegant

Here the busiest counters are Clinique and MAC. Sephora is by far the busiest but it's not exactly the same. The MUFE counter gets a lot of business too but not as much as the other two I mentioned.

amoona

Ooooh I have heard the rumor that Nordies MAC people get a little more flexibility in their weekend schedules. I think I'm still going to interview for a transfer but I'm also going to make it clear that my family is in San Francisco so I'd like to have at least one weekend a month off to come up and visit.

And lipshock - girl I hear ya! I don't mind the weekends I actually like working the weekends because I do get to do so many make-ups but I do mind the fact that I've made me goal every single month for the year and a half I've been with MAC and can never request a weekend off. Not to mention I have never called in sick to get the weekend off like a lot of people do. I've requested a lot of weekends off for the next two months because of family weddings so we'll see what happens but I'm going to those regardless. That's the one thing I miss about working for a bank, if I wanted time off I could take it whenever I wanted. I took 3 weeks off (only 1 paid) to travel to the Middle East which is something I don't ever see MAC allowing.

Thanks for the responses so far. Feel free to keep 'em coming.

lipshock

Amoona, what about your KB bucks?

At my store, when you got 5 KB bucks you could use them towards a weekend off. I left behind 20 KB bucks and didn't get to use a single one because I forgot them by stuffing them in my locker. lol.

Does your store/counter do that?

amoona

WTF is KB bucks?! haha Sorry girl I've never heard of those. I'm at a Macy's location and used to be at a Bloomingdales location. I've never heard of those at either location.

I know that one of our freelancers used to be a perm MAC artist in Texas and they used to have a policy of rotating weekends. I'm going to ask my manager about the whole Nordstroms people getting one weekend a month off - if thats true I'm totally transferring into a Nordstroms location instead of leaving the company.

baybehbekah

that is so bizarre to me that they don't give any weekends off or at least a saturday or a sunday! that seems really unfair! i hope you get your wedding weekends off! good luck with your move
smiles.gif

glamdoll

The Macy's where I worked at the big sellers aka the Big 3 were : Lancome, Estee Lauder and Clinique.

It sucks cus at the big 3 makeovers are free. and ppl will take advanteage of that sometimes. Specially during prom season when MAC is all booked. ugh.

I would try to transfer if you can get your weekend off! Good luck!

BEA2LS

My friends at my local MAC counter at Macys say that they have one whole weekend off a month, than on another weekend they only work Sat OR Sun. Not bad (I am so jealous of their jobs!!)

MissMarley

Hmmm...at our Clinique counter, we get a weekend off every 5 weeks. We're the biggest producer at our store.

BEA2LS

when i was to work at macy*s, they said that all the counters (mac included) gets one weekend off and than on another weekend, they get a sunday off. so it's only two full weekends a month. i live in nj, if that helps. so i guess the counters can be flexible, it all depends. Clinique is our best seller here.

aleksis210

When I worked for Dillard's (love this company!) Clinique and Lancome (where I worked) pulled in the most sales..