Hip Hop Makeup?

NikkiHorror

I'm the makeup artist for a hip-hop/urban/undergound graffiti shoot. It's totally not my scene and so I've tried to do my research, but I am not finding any solid makeup trends within that subculture. Can someone please fill me in?

<3 Nikki

bcsweetascandy

Based on looks of 'video models' from hip-hop videos or ads from hip-hop clothing lines, there isn't necessarily a trend, but definitely a more sultry/sexy vibe going on. I think you'd do well with smokey eyes...and maybe a little glitter for the bling factor
oh.gif
).

User49

I agree I think that if you go for the smokey look it will go down well. But I would also just ask them if there is any particular look they want to aim for. When your doing a freelance job don't be scared to ask, the more you know about what they want the better the end result will be. x

hhunt2

I would bring a little of the "chola" look in the shoot.

Thick eyeliner. Super lined or dark lips. Sultry but "dont f with me" look.

Here in Northern California, the hip hop/urban look has gotten colorful. A throwback to the 80s--neon colors, bright eyeshadow, winged eyeliner & long lashes.

Pnk85

The makeup for Hip Hop is very glam, some of the music videos look like advertisements for high fashion designers. If you need inspiration look to Ciara, Keyshia Cole, Rihanna or Beyonce. The rapper Plies also has a lot of women in his music videos. Hip Hop makeup is not as hard as some may think......

Willa

I'd also take a look on Model Mayhem, there's a great variety of pictures that you can get inspiration from
yes.gif

nursee81

take a look at some hip hop video on Youtube and go with a smokey sultry eye. Bronzey skin and glossy lips.

NikkiHorror

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursee81
take a look at some hip hop video on Youtube and go with a smokey sultry eye. Bronzey skin and glossy lips.

That's what I wanted to hear!

Yeah I'm looking for glam hiphop....like Lil Kim sort of.

Lots of attitude but still hot!

It's just not me scene but I want to hit the nail on the head!

What do you guys suggest for hair?

<3 Nikki

Pnk85

That looks great!!!! You should go to vibe.com, its a magazine targeted to the urban/hip-hop lifestyle, you should be able to get some ideas from there.

kyuubified

I think it depends on the type of Hip-Hop. I've seen everything from smokey eyes and nude lips or deep merlot/dark red lips to bright in your face hot pink lips and bright eyeshadow (though these are not always necessarily paired together).

reesesilverstar

I like that picture that was posted.

I say look at some music vidz and photos of ppl like Ciara, Missy Eliott, and Lil Mama, even Aaliyah. And why not look at graffiti art pictures and pull inspiration from them...

NikkiHorror

Quote:
Originally Posted by reesesilverstar
I like that picture that was posted.

I say look at some music vidz and photos of ppl like Ciara, Missy Eliott, and Lil Mama, even Aaliyah. And why not look at graffiti art pictures and pull inspiration from them...

Innnnteresting.....
smiles.gif

Wish I had an airbrush machine and stencils! Maybe I can do some art on her face with just grease paint/eyeliner?

carandru

I really like the pic you posted. And I would ask the photog what he likes. I know it can be kinda difficult when you're not given that much to go on.

Honestly, I was glad you posted this thread b/c I'm doing makeup tomorrow for a local hip hop video shoot and all the director told me was he wants all the girls to look nice and have the same look. I asked for a bit more info about the video to get a better idea, and all he said was.. something sexy, it's a strip club scene.
I just dug out all my husband's black men mags and checked out a few glamour modeling websites. We'll see if its heading in the right direction tomorrow I guess.

carandru

Kind of.... It seemed alot of the models had strong black eyeliner and generally a nude or pink lip. The eye makeup tended to be a smokey eye or neutral ...lots of bronzey and golden colors. And of course, those full luscious lashes. Overall, the looks were really neutral.

I did notice that almost all of the lips were glossy. very few other finishes.. I don't think I saw any mattes at all lol.

The looks on the glamour modeling sites varied a bit more with a wider color range. But, still the same strong black eyeliner and glossy lips.

Mizz.Coppertone

Gloss is a must! Go for pinky peach pouty lips, peach blush, shimmer flecked golden bronzer, super sparkley nude eyeshadows like All that Glitters and Nylon, smokey black liner and dramatic black falsies.

Fataliya

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiHorror
What do you guys think about this?

P1c34ba0fa6defb3a4729fcdd47279d19_6.jpg

MAN O MAN!!! I have Solar Bits....I WISH I could look like this!!! She's gorgeous!