Homemade Fix+

sweetie

Has anyone used the homemade fix+ recipe 1 part glycerin to 8 parts water or something like that? Does it work well? How does it compare to fix+.

Thanks

sharkbytes

Hmm...I could be wrong, but I thought the Glycerin/water combo was for a homemade mixing medium, not Fix+. I'd be hesitant to spray Glycerin on my face for sure, but as a mixing medium it works perfectly. If you want the exact recipe, check out EnKore's channel on Youtube
smiles.gif

Skin*Deep

I've never heard of it....someone will come along who has....but if I'm not mistaken fix+ has minerals, green tea, chamomille, and I'm sure a long list of other stuff......

caffn8me

Fix+ has caffeine (drools!)

Ingredients in Fix+;

• Spring water
  • Butylene glycol
  • Glycerin
  • Cucumber extract
  • Chamomile extract
  • Green Tea extract
  • Vitamin E
  • Panthenol Pro Vitamin B5
  • Arginine (an amino acid)
  • Caffeine - Yay!
    pompom.gif
  • PEG hydrogenated castor oil
  • PPG-26-Buteth-26
  • Fragrance
  • Disodium EDTA
  • Phenoxyethanol
  • Methylparaben
It's difficult to see how just water and glycerin would be quite the same.

caffn8me

Mixing medium (water based);

• Water
  • Glycerin
  • Butylene glycol
  • Chamomile extract
  • Xantham gum
  • Phenoxyethanol
  • Methylparaben

sweetie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbytes
Hmm...I could be wrong, but I thought the Glycerin/water combo was for a homemade mixing medium, not Fix+. I'd be hesitant to spray Glycerin on my face for sure, but as a mixing medium it works perfectly. If you want the exact recipe, check out EnKore's channel on Youtube
smiles.gif

I did see that video by Enkore. I could have sworn he said something about homemade fix+ too, but here is another video on youtube that talks about it.

YouTube - Homemade Mixing Medium and Fix+ Dupe

MACLovin

I haven't seen that vid, but I make my own mixing medium using 3 parts water, 1 part glycerin and put it in a little spray bottle.

I only make small batches because i dont go through it that quickly, but mostly what I use it for is applying shadows [kinda] wet. I actually swipe the brush onto the shadow while it's dry, and then I spray some of the MM on the back of my hand and pat the brush into it, and then on my lids. Same effect , but you don't ruin your shadows! It's also great to use with pigments or loose mineral e/s to make liner, or a sticky base for eyeshadows too..
smiles.gif

L1LMAMAJ

I make my own homemade mixing medium too. Be sure to make small batches because they do get moldy. I think I saw mold in my MM cuz I didn't finish using it and a few weeks later I saw greenish stuff in it. Not sure what it was but I chucked it asap!!!

About the homemade Fix+, there are a lot of ingredients involved and i heard from pursebuzz that it is gonna cost more to make your homemade fix+ than if you just bought a bottle at MAC. Seems true because it'd be hard (and maybe expensive) to get a hold of all the ingredients involved for Fix+.

caffn8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1LMAMAJ
Seems true because it'd be hard (and maybe expensive) to get a hold of all the ingredients involved for Fix+.

Not only that, when something is described as an "extract" of a botanical it may contain only a few components from the plant having been processed to remove others.

The ingredient list also gives no indication of quantities of the individual ingredients. To get anywhere close, even knowing proportions, you'd need a set of laboratory chemical balances.

X4biddenxLustX

Your going to be better off forking over that $16 plus tax for the real stuff. It is worth it though!

You COULD try mixing the water and glycerin but don't expect the same effect that it'll give you as using the Fix+. Just use more water than you would use in the homemade mixing medium. But remember you'll be missing out on all the goodies (Minerals, Vitamins, Caffeine, and Antioxidants) that the real stuff has to offer.

mehrunissa

To be honest, I really doubt that Fix+ is able to do anything good for your skin when most of us apply it over our makeup...To me, it's much more a cosmetic than skincare product, because I used it to get a dewy glow with my foundation. So, ultimately, all the fancy ingredients don't mean much.

I use Burt's Bees Rosewater Glycerin Toner instead these days. $12 for more than twice the product. No caffeine though. But I think their Tomato Toner has it.

primor2

i love fix plus for my foundation i havent really tried it for shadows well i have and i did think it was pretty good but i probably preffer to use the home made glycerin spray for my shadows i love it but i havent used it on my face lol so i guess i use both lol

bbseh

Many of the other ingredients are probably just preservatives, and topical vitamins don't really do much. If you want vitamins, just eat food!
yes.gif

I haven't tried homemade fix+ but I will make a batch when I buy a bottle of glycerin =)

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehrunissa
To be honest, I really doubt that Fix+ is able to do anything good for your skin when most of us apply it over our makeup...To me, it's much more a cosmetic than skincare product, because I used it to get a dewy glow with my foundation. So, ultimately, all the fancy ingredients don't mean much.

I use Burt's Bees Rosewater Glycerin Toner instead these days. $12 for more than twice the product. No caffeine though. But I think their Tomato Toner has it.

it still has an effect on the skin, whether its applied over or under makeup. makeup doesn't act as a sealant on the skin, so products and ingredients still reach the skin and penetrate into the epidermis.

nliedel

Gack. I ADORE Enkore. Worship at his magical feet, but the water Glycerin mix is a germ-bath waiting to happen. The minute you put water in ANYTHING you need a preservative, or it's going to grow massive amounts of stuff you do not want by your eyes. You can't see it till it's really bad, but it's there. I make mineral makeup and did a test at 24 hours for microbes and it scared me. BAD! If you make it, keep it in the fridge and make new every third day. Sounds like I'm paranoid, but these are our eyes. Oh, and used distilled water with nothing in it and put the cap on immediately.

I know, paranoia, big destroya, but I've got MS and my eyes have enough issues already.

Abbe

I've tried the receipe. It's 1 part glycerine to 3 parts water (make sure it's distilled water). Works great. Don't make too much of it though as it is prone to germ growth. I make a fresh bottle once a week. I don't mind the extra work as it costs a lot less than buying the MAC product. If you're diligent and sanitize your spray bottle every week, you should be fine. Another recipe I found on the web is adding to the general recipe 1 part rose-water, 2 drops of the following oils: tea tree, aloe vera and grape-seed. Works great too.