Hot tips & tricks for us older chicks!

cr8zy4MAC

Hi Everyone,

Here is our own special little place where we can trade all of our advice, tips and tracks for us older chicks!

I personally love Touche Eclait' Radiance pen as a way to give a slightly rested look to the under eye. It is also great the use above the brow bone for a visual lift, to use as a cheekbone highlighter, down the bridge of nose, etc.

What are some of your favorite goodies?

sagehen

First of all, I LOVE this thread title. Second, can we ladies on the cusp of older-ness come in and look for tips and tricks? I am noticing some skin changes (damn fine lines and undereye darkness) as I age, and I think I need to learn at the feet of people who have experienced it. It could save a lot of time and money.

cr8zy4MAC

First of all, I LOVE this thread title. Second, can we ladies on the cusp of older-ness come in and look for tips and tricks? I am noticing some skin changes (damn fine lines and undereye darkness) as I age, and I think I need to learn at the feet of people who have experienced it. It could save a lot of time and money.
Well, thank you! All you ladies out there of any age are most certainly welcome to our thread. Would you consider popping up a picture of your under eye darkness so we can get a better picture of what to advice? Also, what type of foundation are you using (how much coverage are you currently using - full, medium, buildable, sheer -- liquid, powder, cream, etc).

I do love Lancome concealers (the one with the wand that looks like a tube of mascara). It's great if you find the shade that pretty closely matches your skin tone. It's a sheerer formulation that gives a little more coverage than the YSL Touche Eclait, but still bounces the light and doesn't settle into lines.

Makeup For Ever has there clicker pen style that has two pens dedicated to helping eradicate the darkness under the eyes. One is more of a peachy tone for darker complexions. Then there is another one that is pink, for lighter complexions.

There are some other lines that have good coverage, but heavier in consistency, which can settle into lines:

Benefit - Secret Camaflouge
NARS - their new concealer. It comes in a mascara shaped container as well.
Tarte - Maracuja Creaseless concealer - (this company has mainly yellow-based concealers)
Amazing Concealer - great coverage, a little heavier, doesn't settle into lines a whole lot
Cover FX- also great coverage, a little heavier, without settling into lines too much.

There are a few more, but it greatly depends on your skin tone. Sometimes, ladies make the mistake of going to light, which ends up drawing more attention to the darkness. It also turns the darkness into an eerie grayish/blue color.

sagehen

^^I might get the courage to put up a pic when I get away from work... I am oily as heck and I wear liquid foundation for the most part. I oscillate between ELDW Light and Revlon Colorstay at the moment, so medium to full coverage, I would say? My undereye darkness is motly because of allergies, and when I do not conceal well it is sooo obvious. I use MAC Studio Finish Concealer but it sometimes feels so draggy under my eyes. I liked Select Cover Up but it settles into these fine lines underneath. I liked Studio Sculpt but it was discontinued - it erased that area underneath the eye and stayed in place all day. I just want something to do the same.

cr8zy4MAC

Do you use any under eye creams yet? Origins makes a nice eye cream that has a pinky/peach base with helps brighten the eye. There is also an eye cream by Benefit that also helps brighten the eye. Sephora also has their own roller-ball style eye gel that helps eradicate puffiness and darkness. It has the little metal balls at the tip the massage it in. That's a good first step before the concealer.

sagehen

***hangs head in shame*** I have to admit that I lay off the eye creams in Summer. I use them in cooler seasons. I think I need to try a gel product. I just need to stop being lazy and in denial. I will start with this rec to use up what I have and start looking at the recommendations from my fellow Speckra-ites in the future.

cr8zy4MAC

I used the Sephora Skin IQ online. I used some of the variables you had mentioned: fine lines, dark circles, oily skin. I didn't check off the "easily irritated/sensitive skin" box since I wasn't sure. I copied the highest rated item they are showing down below.

Caudalie is also known for it's gentleness. It usually doesn't irritate the skin. Maybe you should try a sample of this before purchasing and see if it helps. :) It's not a bad price point either ($34.00)

Here is also a picture of the Benefit Eye Cream. This also had a great rating. It's also $34.00

As far as which line of concealers, you should maybe drop by a Sephora or whatever department store of your choosing and try out some different formulations before plunking down more money. I have the Select Cover-Up which is too cakey for me. Maybe if you drop by a store, try out the YSL Touche Elcait Radiance pen, the Lancome concealer I mentioned. Here is a picture of the Lancome Concealer. My two favorite shades for hiding darkness are Clair II and Camee. Once again, it depends on what line and what tone best suits your complexion.

This concealer costs $30.00. It really is the bomb! The only thing I wish is that they would have more shades. They have five shades in total.

I hope this helps!

cr8zy4MAC

***hangs head in shame*** I have to admit that I lay off the eye creams in Summer. I use them in cooler seasons. I think I need to try a gel product. I just need to stop being lazy and in denial. I will start with this rec to use up what I have and start looking at the recommendations from my fellow Speckra-ites in the future.
Well, at least you're honest to admit it!
winkiss.gif
Eye serums and eye creams (as well as face serums and creams) are a very important part of the daily regimen, especially as time is marching right across our face! Sometimes patting a little eye cream over the concealer can help sheer it out a bit so it doesn't settle in the lines or look cakey. Maybe give that a try and see how it works for you.

singer82

So glad this is here! I just turned 31 and have noticed lines under and around my eyes. I currently use first aids eye cream. Don't really see a difference. I have sensitive pale dry skin. I def need a good eye cream. Only skin care regimen I have is moisturizer, eye cream, and use foundation primer. I also have a Clarisonic I use every other day. I'd like to pin down a decent skincare regimen. Any tips?

Dominique33

Hi Everyone,

Here is our own special little place where we can trade all of our advice, tips and tracks for us older chicks!

I personally love Touche Eclait' Radiance pen as a way to give a slightly rested look to the under eye. It is also great the use above the brow bone for a visual lift, to use as a cheekbone highlighter, down the bridge of nose, etc.

What are some of your favorite goodies?
I use La Roche-Posay Hydranorme and Substiane ( night cream ), L'Occitane scrub ( ultra rich one with shea butter ), thermal water and I avoid sun at all costs.

cr8zy4MAC

I use La Roche-Posay Hydranorme and Substiane ( night cream ), L'Occitane scrub ( ultra rich one with shea butter ), thermal water and I avoid sun at all costs.

Singer82,

Welcome aboard! Which First Aid Beauty eye cream are you using? I do love their line. They are wonderful for people with sensitive skin. Maybe you should give Origins a try. I'll put a picture of the one you might want to give a shot. Ask for a sample wherever you do your shopping. Let me know if that helps out.

Dominique,

They have L'Occitane where I work. I'll have to sample out the scrub. That sounds lovely! I'll have to see about samples of the others. Thanks so much for you input.
thmbup.gif

josephine90

Ooo, interesting thread! Can I join too? I have huge concerns about lines on eyes and forehead, my mum has deep lines on her forehead, so its probably a little genetic too, its not really visible on me yet of course but when i frown or laugh, it gets scary! Im thinking of trying the estee lauder anti aging serum as a prevention, what do you guys think? I have combination, acne prone skin though.

GoldenGirl

I'm a woman of a certain age, (35... again!) so I guess I sort of qualify though my skin care routine hasn't needed changing much since I was young. I have noticed the area under my eyes to be an issue lately, the skin is dry and I have more fine lines than I used to. I'm still trying to find my HG concealer, but I fear it's really impossible to find something that WON'T crease. I don't think it exists.

Do you guys know about Wayne Goss? He's a UK based MUA, so daggone gorgeous and is one of the TRULY helpful makeup "gurus" on youtube. His videos are short, sweet and to the point, not like these long drawn out dragged out 20 minute videos I see on YT that really don't offer any good information. He also works a lot with older women and often does demos on his friend Mandy who is also of a certain age.

Anyway, he has one about how to apply the Touche Elact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMQd2SaX7t8

He also has one about how to apply eye makeup for hooded eyes (this was helpful for me because my mom has hooded eyes and I was trying to figure out why I wasn't able to do her eye makeup the same way I do mine).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxbSwIoBYUg

Here's another video about under eye bags.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmvcI3q53_0

He's got TONS of extremely helpful videos. He's sooo adorable too, I swear sometime he reviews products I know I'll never use, but I watch the video anyway because he's just the cutest!

He also discusses skin care, but I can't seem to find those videos, they may be on his other channel.

Hope that helps a bit. I know his tips have helped me tremendously.

katred

Specktra Bestie
Great idea for a thread! I'm just going to move it out of the Mac discussion ever and into the general cosmetic discussion so that more people have a chance to see/ comment.

Dominique33

Ooo, interesting thread! Can I join too? I have huge concerns about lines on eyes and forehead, my mum has deep lines on her forehead, so its probably a little genetic too, its not really visible on me yet of course but when i frown or laugh, it gets scary! Im thinking of trying the estee lauder anti aging serum as a prevention, what do you guys think? I have combination, acne prone skin though.
If it's genetic ( I am 45 and have very few wrinkles but other concerns ! ), there is nothing to be done. Moisturize ( day, night, masks too ) but don't use oily formulas if you have combination skin. Hydranorme is very good indeed but quite thick. If you ever purchase Hydranorme dont' " overdo " it or acne will be worse. Anti aging sérums do help but will be useless if you are too young to use them. The key word is moisturize !

sagehen

Quote:Originally Posted by GoldenGirl

I'm a woman of a certain age, (35... again!) so I guess I sort of qualify though my skin care routine hasn't needed changing much since I was young. I have noticed the area under my eyes to be an issue lately, the skin is dry and I have more fine lines than I used to. I'm still trying to find my HG concealer, but I fear it's really impossible to find something that WON'T crease. I don't think it exists.

Love this - I am not sure how many times I have turned 35...OMG - I am a woman of a certain age! That sounds so dignified lol. The only thing I have had to change is to definitely make sure I wear eye cream. It helps plump up those little lines forming and it helps keep my concealer on. I am convinced of this.

IHughes

I think it's mostly genetic and also the kind of life you've had. I mean whether you've tanned a lot in the naked sun, if you've smoked a lot, or if you've spent a lot of crazy sleepless nights at a younger age. I think those things aren't noticeable when you're younger and your skin is full of vitality but it's noticeable when you start to reach a certain age.
I've always envied my dark-skinned friends who tanned a lot and spent a lot of fun nights out. I started using serums and moisturizing relatively young (around 25) and I think it has helped. I don't look my age now, I look younger, but at some point some lines of expression will start to set in.
I only started using makeup recently because I was annoyed that the makeup I had was actually making me worse! It was setting in my "smile lines" for example and I hated that! Now I use foundation that is better and doesn't seem to do that (plus I sorta stay away from that area lol). I've just started using under-eye concealer and I must admit it lightens the area (I've never worried about dark circles actually) but I do HATE that it creases and makes me look wrinklier than I actually am!
I have MAC Mineralized Concealer and Dior Hydralife BB Eyecream and I must say that the Dior one is amazing!! It doesn't seem to crease at all and it has spf, but it's crazily expensive. I seem to apply better the MAC one (I was using too much and not blending it well enough).