How can I find the right shade in studio fix fluid and powder

roc2love

I have been searching mac up and down for the right shade in studio tech I'm nw45 but in fix fluid nw45 is way to light I've tried nw46 but it was a little too red so I returned it and got nw50 it was to neutral or ashy on my complexion so when I returned that shade the MUA gave me nw58 and after I got home I applied it and saw it in natural light and was like oh hell's no lol so I returned it and asked for nw47 and the MUA at mac in macys was like there's no nw47 only 45,50,55& 58 finally I just went with the matchmaster in 8.5 desperately hoping that this would solve my problem but I'm still not truly satisfied any suggestions please save me

shellygrrl

Staff member
This is a perfect example of why I wish people would specify which foundation they're NC/NWxx in when asking for advice, because not all NC/NWxxs are created equal, and some ranges run lighter or darker than others. :nods: Thank you for being specific in that regard! :) SFF NW47 does exist (you can buy it online); either the sales associate is completely ignorant, or it's not available at counters. Here is a swatch, along with darker SFF shades (compared with Illamasqua Skin Base), via Ace Your Face.
p1040244.jpg
What specifically is it about Matchmaster that you don't like? The coverage? The shade? And what about Studio Tech do you not like that wants you to find another foundation?

roc2love

This is a perfect example of why I wish people would specify which foundation they're NC/NWxx in when asking for advice, because not all NC/NWxxs are created equal, and some ranges run lighter or darker than others. :nods: Thank you for being specific in that regard! :) SFF NW47 does exist (you can buy it online); either the sales associate is completely ignorant, or it's not available at counters. Here is a swatch, along with darker SFF shades (compared with Illamasqua Skin Base), via Ace Your Face.
p1040244.jpg
What specifically is it about Matchmaster that you don't like? The coverage? The shade? And what about Studio Tech do you not like that wants you to find another foundation?
The foundation is great but it doesn't look as good as the fix fluid nor does the coloring but I will say I've been using SFP/studio fix powder plus foundation with strobe cream and aaaaaaaahhhh I love it but I still want a true to color liquid foundation that matches my complexion

shellygrrl

Staff member
You may need to mix two colours together. If SFF NW46 was okay except for being overly red, and SFF NW50 was okay except too ashy, and if you still own both shades, mix them together and see what happens. (It won't affect the coverage; it'll just alter the colouring.) One thing I've seen in tutorials with darker-skinned models is using two shades in different places -- one shade in the perimeters of the face, and another one in the middle of the face. That could be another thing to try.