How can I get soft curls like this (pic)

hnaoto

What size curling iron would I need? My hair is shoulder length. Also are any specific products recommended? Thanks!

Blonde girl on the right:
2hdwbyp.jpg

Caderas

looks like just an inch-wide barrel that she just combed out with her fingers! they all seem to be curled towards the back too!

hnaoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caderas
looks like just an inch-wide barrel that she just combed out with her fingers! they all seem to be curled towards the back too!

I know it's such a simple hairstyle but I've had SHORT hair since middle school and don't know what to do with my new "long" hair lol. The longest style I had was a posh spice type haircut.

kimmy

agreed with the one inch barrel and curling towards the back. i'd suggest bringing the curling iron only aout 3/4 of the way up the hair shaft, that's how she gets her curls to start about half way down. then comb through with your fingers towards the back of your head and voila!

shannahlane

my hair looks like this when i use a small curling iron (1 inch, i think) and wrap the hair around the outside of the barrel, rather than putting it into the clamp. then i kind of shake it out by scratching my head at the roots rather than running my fingers through the whole hair and risking frizzing up the curls. i finish with a really light hold hairspray so it still looks soft and that's it!

MissAlexisDDD

Instead of using your curling iron to kinda clamp on the end pieces and roll upwards, try wrapping the actual (small) strand of hair around the barrel of the iron. Gives a softer more natural effect. Then comb through lightly with your fingers!

kimmietrinh

All of the above works! If you want, you could also do it with a straighter (but the waves are more spaced apart), and basically do the same thing as the external method. Or you could use a curl set and only wound it around the curlers to the base of your head. It is less work.