How do I get a nice crease shape?

ReveNoir

Whenever I do my makeup, I think I'm following a nice rounded "line" (for lack of a better term) at the edge of my lid. Whenever I take pictures of the finished look, however, it looks flat. It's the worst when I do cut crease looks, like this:

oct30oneeyeclosed.jpg

oct27oneeyeclosed.jpg

How do I make the edge of my lid more rounded?

Thanks in advance!

gildedangel

Try bringing the eyeshadow up higher, it should help to give it a more rounded look. Practicing and experimenting are good ways to find what you like too!

hello_kitty

I often have the same problem. I have learned to bring it up higher, like already suggested. If I follow the contour of my brow bone it comes out flatter, so I have to ignore the bone which can be awkward to do.

Practice is the key!

gigiopolis

When I try to add some dark shadow to my eye and attempt to shape them a bit, I have to fight the urge to put so much darkness right into the crease. On my eyes especially (I'm Asian), it's terribly unflattering because you can't see much of the lid colour and yet the dark shadow shows and I look like I got punched in the eye! Oh, and also, I get the dreaded "flat" crease shape you talk about.

I find what helps is to use a stiff blending brush (my fav is MAC 217), pick up the dark shadow, and stick it RIGHT INTO the VERY outside corner of the eye, and very slowly feather it with small strokes towards the middle of the eye and a bit into the crease, in a definite rounded shape. I get the pretty definition I want, without all that weird punched-in-the-eye, flat crease crap.

I hope somehow that applies to you...lol!

HoneyDip

oh lord.. i feel u on that one!! I did a look last weekend with lots of greys n blacks and went a lil overboard with MAC typographic in the outer crease.. i thought it looked good in person, i didn't want to bring it up to high, coz I thought it would look too dramatic, but then I looked at pictures we took that night.. and my crease just looked HORRIBLE!!!!! the shape of my eye wasn't round and curved, it was just straight up flat.. and I could swear it didn't look like that in person
ssad.gif
th_confused_new.gif

LMD84

i think you should bring the shadow up higher and use a good crease brush like the 226 (if you can get it still because it was le). because the tip of the brush is small but it's still quite fluffy, it's great for being presise but blending at the same time. and when you have taken the shadow up higher to create a more rounded shape blend it out into your highlight colour with a bigger fluffy brush like the 224 (don't put any shadow on this brush - just use it clean to blend)

ReveNoir

I've got the 226 brush...just haven't been using it as much as I should, I guess! I used it today and it worked a bit better
smiles.gif

FiestyFemme

Take it higher up into your crease. This helps the crease color to show when your eyes are open, as well as giving a more rounded shape. At least it does for me!

MizzTropical

The 219 pencil brush. It's the perfect size and shape, all I have to do is pick up some shadow with it and brush it back and forth thru my crease it somehow just creates a perfect rounded shape on it's own. It's fabulous and a must have brush for sure! Make sure you go up a bit higher then you were b4 too, that will help tons.

ThePowderPuff

I have the same problem, but had an epiphany, when I tried my first blending brush, the 217. That brush, and remembering to bring the colour further up, was amazing!

ThePowderPuff

You can also try opening your eyes when you do your eyeshadow amd then swipe the blender brush back and forth in the crease, with the eye open. Does that make sence?

Amaranth

If you ever have a chance to pick up a 226 brush, I highly recommend it. It's like, the pencil brush and a blending brush mixed together, it's awesome! Packs on colour and blends it in all at once.

I actually have eyelids like yours, and had the same problem for quite a while. Try closing your eyes and feeling your eyelid, you should be able to feel where your eyeball is under the skin. This is approximately where your crease should be. If you have hooded eyelids (also like I do), you may need to play around with moving it just a touch higher or lower, or else it could look funny when you're eyes are open. Another good trick for making the crease on eyelids like ours is to make the lower edge of the crease colour hard, and then blend it upwards. So where the lid and crease colours meet, the line is defined, but where the higlight and crease colours meet, it's very blended and diffuse. Check out Nireyna on YouTube, she very commonly uses a technique similar to what I just described. She uses an eyeliner to do it, but I can get the same look with the 226, and much faster.

nettiepoo

When I try to get a nice crease or outter V look, I ALWAYS end up looking like a racoon lol. I use a 217 brush to apply it and when i start blending....I basiclly wanna scream cuz...just sooo agrivated, i dont know what the heck im doing wrong..and the smoked out thing is my fav look.

Amaranth

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettiepoo
When I try to get a nice crease or outter V look, I ALWAYS end up looking like a racoon lol. I use a 217 brush to apply it and when i start blending....I basiclly wanna scream cuz...just sooo agrivated, i dont know what the heck im doing wrong..and the smoked out thing is my fav look.

You should try placing the colour first with a stiffer, narrower brush like the 219, then blend out the edges with the 217. I find the 217 too wide to get decent colour placement, plus with certain eyeshadows (some are less pigmented than others) it doesn't seem to put on enough colour. I love the 217 for blending, but I've gotta lay down the colour first. People always get freaked out if I do this to them at the store, but I tell me to trust me. I place the colour first, THEN blend it out, that way they get more intense colour. You don't need to blend the WHOLE thing, just the edges to soften them a bit.

Another trick you could try is once again placing the colour with the 219 (by this I mean, basically pack on the colour in the approximate place you want it to go; it'll be messy and have weird horrible edges, but the colour will be in the right place), and putting a bit more shadow on a narrower blending brush like the 222 (though I prefer the LE 223) and going over the harsh line you made with the 219. That way, you blend out the edges but the brush isn't really picking any of the shadow that you already applied and reducing the intensity of the colour.

I hope that made sense, kinda hard to descibe!