How do I get this hair style?!

hishappyending

My layers seem to stick out (not really in a good way) after I blow dry sometimes. My hair ends up looking totally untamed. I want my hair to just be straight, sleek, yet with volume (especially on the top of my head!) without having to poof up my layers. Can anyone tell me exactly how to achieve THIS look?

ALSO, sometimes my bangs dont cooperate. They won't really look a little wavy instead they just stay so straight that even if I curl it with a round brush and hair dry, I look like a doofus coz then it becomes a weird loopy looking thing. HELP!

Vanessa's hair (the one all the way to the left)
vanessaminnillo08iq0.jpg

*notice the lack of volume on the top of my head. I use the Big Sexy Hair volumizing mousse, but apparently, I don't seem to be doing it right?*
dscf2204sizedrz7.jpg

*im on the left*
dscf2103sizedhp0.jpg

Thaaaaaaaanks girls. I really appreciate any help.

aeni

For volume, product is product. I don't think volumizers do squat. So I tease and hairspray my hair and it creates instant volume. You just have to carefully go over the crown when you're brushing/combing over the rats b/c you can brush/comb them out.

xsnowwhite

try blowdrying the top layers esp. the roots with a round brush and then flatiron your hair when its dry for that super sleek look. Oh and a good smoothing serum will help ltos with the smooth look (try paul mithcell super skinny serum or something like it)

aziajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeni
For volume, product is product. I don't think volumizers do squat. So I tease and hairspray my hair and it creates instant volume. You just have to carefully go over the crown when you're brushing/combing over the rats b/c you can brush/comb them out.

I think this is correct. I don't wear my hair this way but I have seen it done. I think Ford Models TV has a video in a look similar using the same technique.

dmenchi

LOL "loopy thing" - that's funny.
certainly apply some moussse then blow dry over one of those gigantic round brushes or blowdry with tension towards top and then finish of with a large barrel curling item... top it of with any silicone serum...i love Ion (sally's) colour defense glossing polish, which is cheap 8$ for a 4oz bottle- but thick enough and smells fruity ! On your length hair i would use maybe one little squirt and focus on sides and ends,to avoid a greasy look
smiles.gif
HTH

dmenchi

what's is the diameter of your current round brush? and what are the bristles made of? you might be able to get better results by just getting a large natural bristle brushes ...it's an investment, but it might make all the difference!

aeni

I should also remind you to "let loose" and not do anything with your hair once or twice a week b/c of too much heat or teasing will cause damage, breakage, yadda yadda yadda - we've all heard it.

AKsnoangel

I have a similar cut and I use a volumizing mousse at the roots. It works wonders for me though it depends on the texture of your hair. I spend a few minutes blasting the roots with the dryer before I pick up my roundbrush. Also, when I compare the two pics, it really looks like besides the face framing layers, the rest of Vanessa Minillo's hair is blown straight back while it looks like your side part goes back much further. That'll make a big difference in the volume, I think. Good luck!

Dizzy

The length of your hair could also be a bit of an issue- with long hair you'll always have more weight to it. What my coworkers taught me (I work in a salon) was to dry my hair 80% with the products I normally use (Joico's smooth and protect balm and a drop of Kenra's smoothing creme) then while my hair is still warm, I put really huge rollers in, then I finish drying it on a low heat (sometimes I'll even dry it with cool air). I let it sit a bit more, spray it with a finishing spray and take them out.

The curlers are too big to cause a curl, but give me the volume that my hair doesn't have naturally. And honestly, in my opinion, root lifters, moose, and volumizers are not going to work for long hair- they're really not made to. All those do is put small spaces between the hair so it seems thicker in certain places, it doesn't actually hold your hair up.

Dreamergirl3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKsnoangel
I have a similar cut and I use a volumizing mousse at the roots. It works wonders for me though it depends on the texture of your hair. I spend a few minutes blasting the roots with the dryer before I pick up my roundbrush. Also, when I compare the two pics, it really looks like besides the face framing layers, the rest of Vanessa Minillo's hair is blown straight back while it looks like your side part goes back much further. That'll make a big difference in the volume, I think. Good luck!

ITA
smiles.gif
try playing with around with it

My hair is almost exactly like this. I use a volumizing mousse, but since my hair is very long, and I only need it on top, I apply ONLY at the roots. Then I work a silicone serum from the ends of my hair and upward. Blowdry using a 1.5 to 2 inch round brush, and blowdry, lifting at the roots.

(at this point I usually go over my hair with a flatiron since it can still be wavy)

Then get some big velcro rollers! Put them in your hair and blast them with the blowdryer for a bit. Let them cool and take them out. That should help a LOT, it does for me! They usually don't create any wave or dents in the hair, but if they do just go over your ends really quick with a flatiron or blowdryer. HTH!