How do I kindly tell my manager to "back off"

Robby_Raynebow

When I began this job in June, the management of the shop knew full well of my sexuality and the fact that I wore make-up and was more than compliant when asked if I could look more like a woman when coming to work, for the customers.

But

My manager who I hang out with at work when there are no customers, is far from straight-laced, but she has this idea that when you are gay or cross-dresser, or transgender that you have to be a certain way. She is not understanding that I have no wishes to become a woman, I am first and foremost a gay man, who looks like a woman. I told her I am a drag queen (which is closest to what I am), but then shes like "Drag queens don't act that way". She is constantly telling me that women don't act that way, or It seems like I'm trying too hard to be like a woman. And when I try to tell her that, I am not interested in having to act a certain way, because I am not trying to fool anybody. If anyone wants to know, they can ask me and I will tell them flat out, that I am gay and not a woman. As much as I respect transgender men and women, that is not my lifestyle.

Well throughout all my rambling, I'm sure you're all looking for a point. What I'm wondering, Is there a way i can kindly tell her that I appreciate that she cares enough to "try to make me more of a woman", but I would much rather she focus on her and I focus on me, because she is not comprehending what I say to her.

On another note, am I wrong in referring to myself as a drag queen, I know it's not really important what I call myself, but I get asked questions about what I am too much to not have a quick answer. I used to say I am androgynous, but I don't look enough like a man for that to make sense to most people.

Simply Elegant

Hmm I would just say that I'm being myself and not conforming to a stereotype and that's who you feel comfortable being like.

I guess drag queen is the best way to describe it.

User35

personally if that was me Id say something like " haha yeah I know youre great at being a girl buuttt believe it or not I dont really want 2 b one ! weird hu ?" Idk something retarded like that.

and if the person kept up with it I would then say..." no really bitch Im serious I dont need ur tips thanks !"

moral of the story...i guess just tell her matter of factly thanks but no thanks 4 the advice. Thats just me though...I have been known 2 get into trouble for my mouth.

TISH1124

Just tell her you really come to work to work...Not to talk about your gender or sexual preference because it is irrevelant to doing your job and it really makes you uncomfortable.

Rule of thumb...you have to let them know that you don't like and appreciate it first....Second step, if it persists....trip or formal complaint to your HR dept

makeba

just to piggy back what Tish said, simply say," hey i am here to work and not talk about my preference because as you can see we strongly disagree, so that way we remain cordial and professional can we not speak about this." if she keeps making conversation about it ignore it and make a comment about something work related. i wish you all the best.

panda0410

ITA - you are there to work and work only. Your personal life is really not of her concern so long as it doesnt affect your work, performance or ability to perform on the job. You have to first let her know that you are uncomfortable with her imposing the steroetype and that you are an individual worthy of being treated as such. Try and keep it amicable though. If that doesnt work then HR is prob the best place to go.

LMD84

good luck with things. maybe your boss doesn't realise how she is coming across to you. she may be dumb!
tong.gif

gildedangel

Good luck talking with her, perhaps she just doesn't realize how she is acting towards you. Let us know how it goes!
smiles.gif