How do I wear color while looking professional?

Bronxcutie

I have TONS of eye shadow. Teal, emerald green, purple, you name it, I got it! The thing is, sometimes I feel like I don't look professional. I work for an orchestra and sometimes I'm lost when I put on my makeup. I constantly get comments on how good it looks, but sometimes I just don't feel confident. I'm hoping to attend law school next year, so I know that I can't walk into a law firm for an internship with bright blue shadow, lol How can I use color everyday while looking professional?

Just to give you an idea of what I like, here are some of my favorite shades:

By MAC: Sketch, Parfait Amour, Flashtrack, Espresso, Embark, Old Gold Pigment, Grape Pigment, Trax, Patina, Plumage

Milani: Antique Gold

Stila: Cassie

I rarely use colored eyeliner. I make my own liners by applying Makeup Forever's Mist & Fix to my eyeliner brush and dipping it into my shadows.

MiCHiE

I think it's all in the placement. I wouldn't bat an eye at you if you wore those colors, actually.

thelilprincess

i'd save the really noticibale colors for going out (i.e. Parrot)

other somewhat loud colors i have like Humid, Sketch, Plumage....i'd keep it subtle like at the outer V and blend well.

i'm learning to wear colors while keeping it professional for work, too.

KTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaXglamlove
You could do a neutral eye and line the lower lash in a bolder color or add it to the outer V like thelilprincess said.

I try to do this at work as well. I'm an elementaryschool teacher so while my students love my eye make-up I have to be conscious of what their parents and my principal think
lol.gif

maxcat

I've sort of learned "one at a time" works pretty well... While I'll whack it on at the counter, I've got a corporate gig too. So rather than seeing what my colors will do together if I'm going to use a strong one at the corporate gig I stick to that and use lots of neutrals. Neutral liner also knocks it down significantly. So... a little Steamy in the corner with Shroom as your base and a light tracing of black liner... cool. Steamy with BlueGreen piggie in a huge panda eye with Frost in the corners and on the brow... no.
It's cute tho. These corporate girls know I have a MAC life and are starting to "bring it" at work... one girl who works near me pointed out her bronze/peach/green combo today saying she was all inspired.