How do you become a big MUA?

Nathalia

Hi
So I really would love to get a job in the makeup industry. But what I'm really interested in is the high makeup artists. The ones that do television, music videos, award shows, and fashion shows (mainly) someone who travels around the world. What I really want to know is what steps to take to get to this? Do you start with a company? How would some girl from Canada get up there? I really really really need some advice from anybody in the industry as I have to make future choices now.

giz2000

One of the girls I work with does this (she's 22)...she started with MAC when she was 18 and she is mega-talented. She travels all over the world doing commercial shoots, fashion shows (she's at Fashion Week in NYC this week), music videos, awards shows and private events such as big society weddings.

She is registered with an agency (I'm not sure which one) and gets a lot of her jobs that way. Also, her reputation and skills speak volumes about her, so she gets a lot of jobs that way as well.

Explore the modeling agencies and inquire as to what agencies they get their makeup artists from (some have in-house agencies and book their own artists)...good luck!