how do YOU close a sale???

xStarryEyedX

tease.gif

I'm just wondering, because my numbers at work used to be the top every week... and now, I guess because I work different shifts and get different customers... they've been eh.

I know one girl at work goes "okay I'm going to grab everything and wait for you by the register", that's just not really my style.. I used to get by with just being a good artist and people would love what I did so they'd buy everything...but now that people are spending less and less it's more like I'm a good artist and I'm getting taken advantage of by getting stuck basically doing free makeovers all the time.

I'm not about to lose my job or anything, but I did get a written warning for having a low average sale last week ((( BS, by the way. I was the only one ringing up our free samples like the company told us to so I had a million $0 transactions. No shit my average sale's going to suck))) And I would like a management position soon, which won't happen unless my sales go back to how they were..

How do you all close sales? Or at least emphasize that you do expect your makeover clients to purchase things.

Thanks for any responses <3

DirtyPlum

Ask questions like:
So what would you like to take with you today?
Which of these products did you like the most?

Run through what you used on them again and the prices, throughout application ask them if they have that certain product at home already... you can get them thinking abt that and if they do have similar product, you can work on explaining 'power grouping' and how diff that product is.

Amaranth

My personal favourite is, "So what will you be treating yourself to today?"

If I just finished a make-over, I usually line everything I used up in on the counter in front of them and say something like "So this is what I used on you today, although you can have a look around the store if you'd like. I'm going to start tidying up, and I'll be back in a few moments if you'd like some help deciding." I know this approach wouldn't ALWAYS work, but a lot of people try to weasel out of buying ANYTHING and they get all weird if I'm standing there waiting for them to choose.

kimmy

i got a makeover at mac once and the girl laid everything she used out on the counter and then told me a few different uses for the products, like how placing the eyeshadow colours differently would give me a different look. she asked me "so, what can i ring you up for today? and can i help you pick out anything else, maybe any blushers or brushes?" i ended up spending like $200 that day.
shockt.gif
she was super nice and did a fantastic job on my makeup.

aleksis210

I know this is bad, but If someone wasn't sure if they wanted to buy something I'd say, listen I know you'll love this, and if you don't like it, you can bring it back! I don't recommend this method, but I never had anyone return anything...I would only do this if I REALLY knew the person would love the products!

xStarryEyedX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranth
My personal favourite is, "So what will you be treating yourself to today?"

If I just finished a make-over, I usually line everything I used up in on the counter in front of them and say something like "So this is what I used on you today, although you can have a look around the store if you'd like. I'm going to start tidying up, and I'll be back in a few moments if you'd like some help deciding." I know this approach wouldn't ALWAYS work, but a lot of people try to weasel out of buying ANYTHING and they get all weird if I'm standing there waiting for them to choose.

That sounds like something I'd be comfortable saying... I'm not pushy but I need to start making better sales if I want to move up, so I'll def be trying this =)... Thank you so much <3

xStarryEyedX

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleksis210
I know this is bad, but If someone wasn't sure if they wanted to buy something I'd say, listen I know you'll love this, and if you don't like it, you can bring it back! I don't recommend this method, but I never had anyone return anything...I would only do this if I REALLY knew the person would love the products!

I do that sometimes too... esp. with the people who are convinced that even though our products are made for extremely sensitive skin they'll have a reaction to them... I just tell them "listen, try it for a week and if you honestly hate it then return it...but you wont =). "

Chrystia

Another thing I do is before starting the makeup application is take the client to the eyeshadows/lip products etc and show the display to them and ask if there are any specific colours they want to take home with them today. Let them pick a colour or two and then use those in the application. That way I give a hint that purchasing something is encouraged. And after going through an application I say what can I grab for you to take with you today or something along those lines. Encouraging a sale, but not directly saying what would you like to buy now. It has been rough lately though especially to get any more than three items into a trans.
ssad.gif

mslips

Quote:
Originally Posted by xStarryEyedX
tease.gif

I'm just wondering, because my numbers at work used to be the top every week... and now, I guess because I work different shifts and get different customers... they've been eh.

I know one girl at work goes "okay I'm going to grab everything and wait for you by the register", that's just not really my style.. I used to get by with just being a good artist and people would love what I did so they'd buy everything...but now that people are spending less and less it's more like I'm a good artist and I'm getting taken advantage of by getting stuck basically doing free makeovers all the time.

I'm not about to lose my job or anything, but I did get a written warning for having a low average sale last week ((( BS, by the way. I was the only one ringing up our free samples like the company told us to so I had a million $0 transactions. No shit my average sale's going to suck))) And I would like a management position soon, which won't happen unless my sales go back to how they were..

How do you all close sales? Or at least emphasize that you do expect your makeover clients to purchase things.

Thanks for any responses <3

Do you work for Mac? If so, I thought you guys required a 50 dollar purchase for customers to get their makeup done?

I really hate those customers that take advantage of me as well..It's such a waste of time..there's other customers in my dept. that are willing to spend and could have my attention to build that sale, but they take up all my time for nothing. They always say "I'll come back when I have more money" and i hardly ever see them...i've gotten warnings from my managers as well. They say don't do a full face unless they are really going to spend...just do the eyes, keep it simple, don't do what you usually do on yourself to them unless they are willing to learn your ways and would wear it like you. What else..yea i usually tell them they have to make a purchase in my dept. in order to get their makeup done. My manager took our limit away which makes it harder for us to really make sure they spend a good amount. I ask what they want to take home with them. I offer free samples if they buy a lot.

mslips

also..its like if you really push them to buy something..they might come back with buyer's remorse and return it. sometimes we'd have big events going on and like 1-2 days later things would get returned just so they could get the free service...i don't understand people, i would never do that. It's really rude..

xStarryEyedX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslips
also..its like if you really push them to buy something..they might come back with buyer's remorse and return it. sometimes we'd have big events going on and like 1-2 days later things would get returned just so they could get the free service...i don't understand people, i would never do that. It's really rude..

Yeh this past saturday night I did a lady's whole face when we were trying to close.. Beforehand I told her we were starting to clean up and I could match her foundation, but we don't usually do full makeup application past 8:45 on Saturdays (hi, we were open all day. i want to go home).. Well, she got a little pissed so I was like fine, and I did it.. She wound up surprising me and spending $115. WELLLLL I go in Wednesday and see I'm starting my day off with a $115 return. Guess who it was?
angry.gif
. Her makeup looked awesome, so I have no idea what the problem was. Then I had a lady come in to return an eyeshadow set that we TRIED ON in the store, I guess she wasn't expecting to see me when she went back. When I asked her why she returned it she said "oh, the colors just weren't for me". WTF, you picked them out- "loved them" on...And now you're effing up my numbers.
I get that some people legit have issues, but I wish there was something we could say to these people. Like if you wanted me to come do your makeup on the side you'd be paying at least $50 and getting no product, so give me an effing sale and stop being cheap.
Oh, and no I don't work for MAC.. I work for BE, but really..I'm a MAC girl at heart.

xStarryEyedX

Quote:
Originally Posted by YSLGuy
^Ive had that happen A LOT!!!

haha, you and me both dear.
Ever read the return policy someone posted on here from a different country?It's basically don't be an idiot and buy something you're planning on returning. You bought it, suck it up...I heart it.

Brie

Speaking as a customer I would never return something unless I got some weird reaction to it, like WTF??? Especially if its been tried on me why would i buy it if I didn't like it?? I don't think you can actually just return things like that here anyways. Its wrong.
If you can't afford to buy something why are you at a makeup counter wasting the MA's time anyway unless your trying to get together a list or something for your B-day or Christmas or something. At all our makeup counters it's like about 70 for makeup then some of or all would be redeemable for products. Or a min purchase then you get it.

xStarryEyedX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brie
Speaking as a customer I would never return something unless I got some weird reaction to it, like WTF??? Especially if its been tried on me why would i buy it if I didn't like it?? I don't think you can actually just return things like that here anyways. Its wrong.
If you can't afford to buy something why are you at a makeup counter wasting the MA's time anyway unless your trying to get together a list or something for your B-day or Christmas or something. At all our makeup counters it's like about 70 for makeup then some of or all would be redeemable for products. Or a min purchase then you get it.

Well, unfortionatly not everyone thinks the way that you do. It would be nice though
smiles.gif
!

Chrystia

I totally forgot. I don't know if you've been to BASIC training yet, but if so check out your notes from there. There are some great hints at closing sales as well as different ways to close sales with different types of customers. If you haven't gone to BASIC, ask your RM or trainer about that part, because it really helped me learn how to approach closing sales.

Another valuable resource is your manager and/or trainers. They are there to help you. And if you went to them and said you were looking for some new ways to close sales, they'd also commend you for obviously caring about this important part of your job.

xStarryEyedX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrystia
I totally forgot. I don't know if you've been to BASIC training yet, but if so check out your notes from there. There are some great hints at closing sales as well as different ways to close sales with different types of customers. If you haven't gone to BASIC, ask your RM or trainer about that part, because it really helped me learn how to approach closing sales.

Another valuable resource is your manager and/or trainers. They are there to help you. And if you went to them and said you were looking for some new ways to close sales, they'd also commend you for obviously caring about this important part of your job.

I don't work for mac, unfortionatly =( .. Thank you though!