How do you get your colorful eyeshadows to look so vivid on?

Joyness

I am so impressed by each of your FOTD's...and at the same time a bit jealous! I have several colorful eyeshadows (MAC Humid comes to mind) that I always want to use but end up looking almost muddy/diluted on. I've tried applying them wet, but then when I go to blend, the whole look becomes diluted again and I end up back with my neutral shadows.
th_confused_new.gif
What am I doing wrong? How do you all get your shadows to appear so true to color on?

Joyness

Quote:
Originally Posted by frocher
Are you using a base? Bases, like udpp, will help.

Forgot to mention that! I do use UDPP and I guess that's why I'm even more puzzled.

Love Always Ivy

UDPP + cream shadow of the same color family + shadow = vivid.

you can also try a black cream liner/shadow (ie: blacktrack fluidline or benefit town car liner shadow). the black base makes colors look super bright.

Edie

I am a HUGE fan of Shadesticks. I find they make colours really stand out! As soon as Christmas is over Im going on a Shadestick Haul-a-thon! Personally I don't find that UDPP makes the colours more intense on me. Nor do paints. It could be how im applying it though. BUT I always am happy with the results from shadesticks.

sitasati

I used to have that problem. Until I learned that color placement is key ..and blending is NOT that hard. It's very simple if you know what you want the end result to be and u place ur colors appropriately. Also, you can reapply eyeshadow to get the desired color payoff ..although with mac shadows I've never really needed to reapply. Another trick I have is ..which may or may not work for you, I apply UDPP then a neutral color powder eyeshadow all over my eyelid and then I apply the actual color eyeshadow. It just helps the blending a little more. *I'm not a professional*

There are tons of video tutorials on youtube for you to watch that can teach you how to blend so the makeup doesn't look muddy. Hope I helped
smiles.gif

Oh and you should let the UDPP dry before you apply eyeshadow..that also makes eyeshadow a little more vibrant.

threelittlebirds

I use a neutral paint + a creamy type of base, same color as the shadow I'm using. For instance, when I use Humid, I'll use Bare Canvas paint over my entire eyelid first....I then apply Tarnish eye kohl in light, small strokes in the area where I want the green to be most vibrant. Then I pack the Humid on top of that and last, blend away! I pull up the excess Humid on that area up past the Tarnish line, and that blurs any lines away and makes a smooth transition. Hope that helps a bit.

Beauty Mark

Most people use paint (MAC paint, not real paint) and Shadesticks to get the colors very vivid. I think some might even put fluidline underneath (a lighter color).

When you blend, are you blending the edges? It's really easy to slip and have everything look like a muddled muddy mess if you accidentally go into the entire or most of the shadow

Joyness

Thanks so much everyone! I'm really going to have to try shadesticks (been meaning to anyway, but this will give me a whole new reason)
th_DANCE.gif
I'll also have to be more careful/play around more with my blending!

makeba

very good advice has been given dear. i would definetly try some shadesticks to use as a base. i have sushi flower eyeshadow and for the life of me could not get it to work like i wanted until i tried crimonsaire shadestick as a base and WOW did it pop. try packing the shadow on instead of using a windshield wiper method and see if that helps.

Temptasia

When I first apply the eyeshadow, I like to pat it on until I build up the intensity I want, then blend after.

me_jelly

Try using a good primer (i.e. MAC paints/paint pots, UDPP).
Then you can use mixing medium to enhance the intensity of the colors.
Pat the colors on instead of swiping and that will ensure you get the maximum intensity onto your lids.
When you blend the edges in between colors on your lid, do it gently and avoid overblending, which would result in a diluted/muddy look.
HTH!

Twinkle_Twinkle

UDPP is only going to make your shadows last longer and crease less. It isn't going to make colors more intense. Paints, Paint Pots, Shadesticks, and CCBs will though. I don't like CCB's or cream shadows because they crease. You could also use a eye liner, like a Technakohl all over as a base. I've also heard of using Fluidliners and LiquidLast Liners as bases. Sephora also makes jumbo eye pencils that I sometimes use as shadow bases. They make an emerald green shade that would be perfect as a base for Humid.

sitasati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ode to Joy
do shadesticks keep them from creasing too?

UDPP made the colors pop for me, but creased like hell

I have extremely oily eyelids and the only that works for me is UDPP. Shadesticks, paints and paint pots crease on me. =(

anaibb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark
Most people use paint (MAC paint, not real paint) and Shadesticks to get the colors very vivid. I think some might even put fluidline underneath (a lighter color).

When you blend, are you blending the edges? It's really easy to slip and have everything look like a muddled muddy mess if you accidentally go into the entire or most of the shadow

Right! I use MAC paint in Untitled. Before using it I couldn't manage that the e/s would stay put and now it does!!

CantAffordMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Always Ivy
UDPP + cream shadow of the same color family + shadow = vivid.

you can also try a black cream liner/shadow (ie: blacktrack fluidline or benefit town car liner shadow). the black base makes colors look super bright.

isn't it weird how black can do that? I've heard many people say they use blacktrack as a base and its like...huh? But it works!...weird.
winks.gif

nunu

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantAffordMAC
isn't it weird how black can do that? I've heard many people say they use blacktrack as a base and its like...huh? But it works!...weird.
winks.gif

I agree with you, i always look puzzeled when people say apply blacktrack fluidline or sharkskin shadestick under greens, purples or teals. I never tried using black track under these colours but i did try it under blacktied and knight divine eyeshadows and it made the glittlery sparkly thing on the eye shadows pop! I mean if you use blacktied on its own you cant see these sparkly things on the pot but when you use it under a black base, it sure does pop!