How do YOU recruit new Clients?

Sugar Cane

So I was just wondering what you all thought of going out and walking around your store and recruiting clients? I normally feel pretty awkward going up to people shopping and offering them samples or inviting them back to the counter. Most of the time ppl seem annoyed and uninterested! I find my sales are better when the person comes to the counter looking for something and I introduce them to other things also. But I was curious to what some of you did and what worked well for you. How do you draw new people in??
winks.gif

lara

I think it's a cheap tactic. No one wants to be accosted.

The easiest way to create interest on your floor is to have something interesting happening. Customers don't like to enter an empty store/counter area, so I'll keep myself moving around the store to make the place seem initially less intimidating to enter, then once someone enters and has been appropriately greeted I'll offer to try products on them. If they're interested in purchasing then that's fantastic and I'll start linking/bridging out a sale, but even if they're not interested I'll offer them a demo anyway just to get some action happening on the floor and bring other people into the store.

Most days it's just a matter of getting that first backside on the seat, then the store fills up quickly and starts to get cracking along $$$-wise.

mslips

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara
I think it's a cheap tactic. No one wants to be accosted.

The easiest way to create interest on your floor is to have something interesting happening. Customers don't like to enter an empty store/counter area, so I'll keep myself moving around the store to make the place seem initially less intimidating to enter, then once someone enters and has been appropriately greeted I'll offer to try products on them. If they're interested in purchasing then that's fantastic and I'll start linking/bridging out a sale, but even if they're not interested I'll offer them a demo anyway just to get some action happening on the floor and bring other people into the store.

Most days it's just a matter of getting that first backside on the seat, then the store fills up quickly and starts to get cracking along $$$-wise.

I agree with her 100%. It's not easy i understand...but yes showing them the latest hottest product and demoing it..i also like to notice those who are wearing cool makeup or wearing makeup and look stylish and show them. Notice their clothing style, what colors they are wearing and stuff like that. It's kinda shallow, but it works! Events always draw people in..they want to join in on the fun. It's nice to give samples as well and let them know about what's new and what would look good on them.

Sugar Cane

Ahhh SO glad that there are some ppl out there that agree with me! I to find that I get better sales when someone comes up and I bridge products or when events are going on! I hate walking around and bothering ppl when they are shopping. Thanks so much for your thoughts!
winkiss.gif
I love to get to know my clients and know what they like especially when I can be excited about something new coming out I know they will like or be equally excited about!

Ruby_Woo

what brand do you work for? Because if its for Benefit, then its a given you have to 'traffic stop' there really isnt a way around that. Most new lines are like that.

HTH

YSLGuy

Ive actually had success by hitting up mall employees. They often will come in or tell thier customers.

For instance like the girls/ladies that work in women's cloting stores. They may mention to a customer that so and so and such and such counter does great makeup...blah blah

Its a great source outside of your store to gain new clients

lara

Benefit are incredibly aggressive about traffic stopping. I can see how it gets one in ten people into a m/up chair, but the other nine are all bitching about how a Benefit girl accosted them.

Bad news spreads fast, y'know? I'd rather be welcoming and proactive about offering demos within my own space than waylaying people out in the walkways or footpaths.

ms.marymac

Quote:
Benefit are incredibly aggressive about traffic stopping. I can see how it gets one in ten people into a m/up chair, but the other nine are all bitching about how a Benefit girl accosted them.

Bad news spreads fast, y'know? I'd rather be welcoming and proactive about offering demos within my own space than waylaying people out in the walkways or footpaths.

I know! I wonder if they ever get any complaints about it. I am so glad we don't have to do that because I'd feel like one of those mall kiosk people that try to accost you.

Sugar Cane

I work for E.L. But I have heard that Benefit is big on that to. I think alot may depend on C/M's to. Like if it is slow ours will have us go out and try to recruit. Very awkward..lol...most of the time woman end up asking me my opinion on an outfit they are buying or something...lol I think I gain more credibility having product knowledge when actual customers come to the counter that are interested and linking products and just good make-up application advice. I think that makes us more professional and credible.

YSLGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.marymac
I know! I wonder if they ever get any complaints about it. I am so glad we don't have to do that because I'd feel like one of those mall kiosk people that try to accost you.

The kiosk people in our mall right now are VERY annoying. They step in front of you with the cup of lotion or whatever and put it in your face and say "Hey let me ask you a question"

I walk by them two/three times a day and they still do it to me. Im like "I work here, in cosmetics. I dont need your dead sea salt hand scrub"
nonono.gif

user79

Quote:

I agree, I've been "stopped in traffic" a few times by Benefit salesgirls and agreed for them to demo a product on me - I had nothing better to do at the time anyway - but at the end of the demo I felt extremely uncomfortable with how much pressure was put on me to buy! That really turned me off Benefit. I don't really like their products anyway.
thmbdn.gif

tanechka28

I've worked for Benefit and had to do plenty of traffic stopping. There is definetly a lot of rejection but most of the time if i got them to sit down it would result in a purchase. I tried not to be overly friendly and agressive (just not in my nature, im a chill person) as some Benefit gals tend to be and that probably worked in my favor. I also found that traffic stopping was an amazing way to build a customer base, 90% of my custys were people I stopped. Just my two cents
smiles.gif

miss_bailey

I've never had a benefit girl accost me! haha and there counter is right next to the MAC one so its not like Im never around there.

ashleyisawesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by YSLGuy
The kiosk people in our mall right now are VERY annoying. They step in front of you with the cup of lotion or whatever and put it in your face and say "Hey let me ask you a question"

I walk by them two/three times a day and they still do it to me. Im like "I work here, in cosmetics. I dont need your dead sea salt hand scrub"
nonono.gif

Hahahah. Yes! Omg. This is how it goes with me:

Them: "Let me ask you a question?"
Me: "Yes, I do wear my nails natural. but no I'm not intersted. Thanks!" and walk off.

M.A.C. head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyisawesome

Me: "Yes, I do wear my nails natural. but no I'm not intersted. Thanks!" and walk off.

LMAO! One of those guys got me in the mall a couple of weeks ago.

It was extra funny because my 1 and 1/2 year old daughter, who is extremely protective and possessive of me, screamed at him and slapped his hand away from me HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Holly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyisawesome

Eww I'm accosted every where I go in West Edmonton Mall, it's SO painful, they're everywhere now!

spacegirl2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslips
i also like to notice those who are wearing cool makeup or wearing makeup and look stylish and show them. Notice their clothing style, what colors they are wearing and stuff like that. It's kinda shallow, but it works!

i think this is a really good tactic and not shallow at all. a lot of stylish people love to be noticed, and if nothing else it opens up a conversation line or lets them know you are friendly as some people can be intimidating. my hair stylist told me once that she tried an experiment with her clients, the minute they sat down she would compliment them on something, anything whether it be their hair, makeup, their handbag, etc. a genuine compliment, not just some BS thing though. she said that in her informal little experiment, it prevented people from saying negative things and steered the conversation in a more relaxed and positive way. anyway, i think complimenting someone is fine as long as its genuine - dont just be giving every chick that walks by a BS line.

mello

I HATE recruiting. With a passion. I work for Lancome and our department manager will constantly come down when it's slow and harass me to go to other floors and recruit. I honestly don't even know what to tell people when I see them? 'O HHAIII COME TO LANCOME WE'RE NOT DOING ANYTHING SPECIAL BUT COME VISIT NEWAYS'
seriously, we never have events. If we did I wouldn't mind at all, because I love doing touch ups or makeup, but it's kind of annoying sometimes when the person doesn't buy anything at all. I feel kind of hesitant telling people to come down for a touch up, just because yeah maybe they will show up but for free makeup only. I guess I could always just do a five second touch up and send them on their way but still haha
I really like the suggestion of demoing the products during sales though, it really works. When customers can get a feel for what the product will look like on them and you really take the time to personalize it for them, they really appreciate it and usually end up buying. I need to start doing that more often

Latest posts