How full should a pigment jar be? Pigment Weights and Sizes.

Magpie

Do MAC Pigments come in different sizes? I just got my first full sized one off EBay and the tub seems smaller than the ones I've seen at the counters. Would counters have larger jars for people to test? It's got all the correct looking MAC packaging but it seems much smaller than I expected. The actual pot is about an inch in diameter and maybe 1 1/2 inch tall. Does that sound right?

Magpie

Yeah, it definately said full sized. It's not like the size of all my other samples and it has MAC packaging and looks exactly like other pigment jars i've seen but it seems too small. I've just noticed it weighs 7.5g. Maybe my counter just has larger sized tubs as testers? Maybe I need to go into 'the traincase' and check the sizes of other peoples beside different products to get an idea of scale. :confused:

lola336

i am almost positive 7.5 g is the size of a pigment jar. I have never seen a bigger one from MAC. maybe post a pic...or do a side by side comparison?

Magpie

Hmmmm, weird. I would swear that the ones at the counter are much bigger??? I'll pop in and check tomorrow when I'm on lunch. Maybe it just seems small cause I'm used to seeing the big pictures on here!!!
rofl.gif

user4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola336
i am almost positive 7.5 g is the size of a pigment jar. I have never seen a bigger one from MAC. maybe post a pic...or do a side by side comparison?

yup, thats the full size jar!

Turbokittykat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJam
Ditto - pigments are in 7.5 g jars!

Except the ones that are 2g (but still in the same sized jar). The matte pigments are heavier than the frosts, so there is usually only 2g of those in a jar.

Just felt I should add this in in case anyone noticed that one of their pigments said 2g not 7.5g and got confused!

martygreene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokittykat
Except the ones that are 2g (but still in the same sized jar). The matte pigments are heavier than the frosts, so there is usually only 2g of those in a jar.

Just felt I should add this in in case anyone noticed that one of their pigments said 2g not 7.5g and got confused!

Correct- grams is a weight measurement, not a volume measurement- so there really is no such thing as a 7.5g jar. MAC obtained jars that were reasonably full when filled with 7.5g of product, namely pigments. If people really want to know the volume measurement for a pigment jar, I can do the math and get back to you on it. Most non-matte pigments come as 7.5g in a pigment jar. Due to the weight differential, matte pigments are 2.5g. They do tend to settle more, and any atmospheric moisture will cause them to ball up and such, but if they were to be air-spun again you would find that 2.5g of a matte pigment, freshly filled, also reasonably fills the jar.

user4

what does air spun mean? sorry if its a really dumb question... im having an airhead day today...

martygreene

air-spinning is a method of refining loose-powders so that each particle is separated from the others. Most loose-powder products are air-spun prior to packing, and then settle and clump as a result of atmospheric moisture, and jostling in transit.

venacava

How full should a pigment jar be?

I brought a jar of apricot pink pigment (gorgeousness!) on Monday. I opened it up for the first time today and found 10% of the product is missing.
weeping.gif
Should I take it back for exchange or am I just being a pain in the butt? And the pertinent question is - "will they exchange it?" because technically there's nothing wrong with the product itself, it's more of a packaging malfunction.

Just out of curiosity though, anyone else experienced this sort of situation?

sexypuma

From what i understand, they pack the pigments by weight not volume so some pigments jars will appear fuller than other depending on the texture (chunky vs fine-milled). HTH

Shawna

They definitely pack according to weight. If you buy a metal pro pigment, the jar is only about half full. Your apricot pink is fine. Mine was the same way. The pigments also have a tendency to settle during shipping. If you put the lid on and gently shake the pigment, some of the volume will return and the jar won't look so empty. Hth
smiles.gif

DaizyDeath

yeah like eveybody else says its packed by wieght so depending on which formula you get matte etc. there will be a different ammount inside

venacava

Thanks everyone. It’s just that when I dropped in to MAC the day Sweetie Cake was released (as we all do) to check out a few new products, the tester AP was quite full in the manner of there’s-enough-product-in-the-jar-that-plastic-insert-left-a-impression-on-surface of product. Hence when I opened mine and discovered that it looked as if someone had scooped out ½ tsp I felt somewhat… perturbed by the discrepancy.

So once again, thanks everyone!
smiles.gif