How important is your G.P.A.?

FemmeBella86

I'm still in school & I was wondering if your G.P.A. in college has any influence on getting hired in the future?

I'm asking this because I'm not really into school as it is & I'm just getting a diploma to have one. People always say your a better candidate for hire if you have your bachelors so I'm just doing it to get it over with.

This may sound silly, but my dad told me to get hired in Public/Government agencies they need your College diploma & your college transcript. Does that really have an influence on whether I get hired or not?

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

astronaut

I think it might. I'm currently in school as a chemistry major and I was looking at the Loreal website some time ago (not like I'd work for them but they had some useful information) and I they listed requirements like what degrees one would need and what GPA. I remember seeing Chemistry, chemical engineering, etc. degree with 3.5+ GPA. Let me try to look it up again so you can see what I'm talking about.

Beauty Mark

Sort of. Some jobs really do want your grades and GPA, others are just happy to take your word you have bachelors. Some of the gov't jobs do want your grades in the US.

captodometer

It probably depends on what your degree is in and what type of job you are looking for. I doubt that it really matters much for liberal arts types of areas; it probably matters more for hard science types of career fields, but it's still not all that important.

I'll use myself as an example. I was ill for most of my first year of undergrad, and spent most of the second year playing pinball and video games instead of going to class. Nonetheless, I got a 3.23 and got into veterinary school. I went to class because it was mandatory, but I didn't really devote a lot of effort to it. I graduated from vet school with a 3.0 and I passed all my licensing exams.

I had some classmates that took their GPA way too seriously. They would be sitting in the library before classes started at 8AM, after it was over at about 5PM some would stay until midnight. So some of them managed to get a 3.5. And it means absolutely nothing. They all still get addressed by the same title that I do, which is "Dr." And we all had basically the same starting salaries. But I'm sure that I had way more fun than the hardcore students: I played on my college bowl team, went to basketball games, etc. GPA does matter to some extent: 2.5 is the minimum required to complete most degree programs. But in the case of medical professions, a perfect 4.0 won't save you if you don't manage to pass the board exams.

I spent most of my career working for the US federal govt before I moved to New Zealand, so I do know something about the hiring process. If a degree in a particular subject is required to be considered for a position, a copy of your professional license or university diploma is required. If, for example, the job requires a minimum of 20hrs of college level biology a transcript has to be submitted as proof. There are some special hiring programs that require a 3.0 GPA to be considered, but generally the fed only cares that you managed to survive until graduation. Whether or not you actually know anything is more or less irrelevant. I know it sounds harsh but it's true: the govt basically wants warm, still breathing, non comatose bodies
winks.gif
A high GPA does not earn bonus pay in federal employment; it's based strictly on time in grade and geographic location.

I've never had a job, govt or not, where they actually cared what my GPA was. It would probably be even less important if my degree was in fashion design: the clothes I made would be way more important than the GPA. And in all cases, the further removed from college/high school you are, the less your GPA will matter. Employers don't tend to dwell on past academic glory; what you've done since graduating becomes much more important. The distant past doesn't necessarily predict the future. Case in point: the salutatorian from my high school class was working as a drive-thru teller at Taco Bell the last time anyone saw her
th_dunno.gif

If I were you, I would finish the degree but I wouldn't really dwell on the GPA. Doesn't sound as if you are old enough to have enough work experience in your field to make you competitive otherwise. I usually go work experience, degree, and then GPA when making hiring decisions.

Nox

I don't see a reason why one should not try for the highest possible GPA. For one thing, getting a low GPA will shut you out of the option of going for a graduate degree. And second, a lower GPA will get you passed over in favor of someone else with a higher GPA. A person with a higher GPA will be afforded more opportunities during their college education, like scholarships, internships, luncheons, invitations to events, all the more stuff to pad their resume and get their name out there.

Going to college is not just about hitting the books, it's about learning how to network. Without a decent GPA, it is very difficult to get people to "open doors" for you.

KitCat007

Some people say it's not important as long as you graduate, other's say otherwise. I'm one of the other's. My GPA of 3.9 is what got me into nursing school, while other's are trying for their third year in row! It is very competitive to get into certain programs and degrees and your GPA is a big part of being accepted into those. So I say it is very important.

xbrookecorex

Just a general rule is that your GPA is SUPER important if you're planning on applying to graduate school, and semi important if you're going straight to a job.

My close friend graduated last year with an accounting/economics degree, and a 2.1 GPA (graduated by the skin of his teeth). However, he had an office job with a finance company welcome him with open arms a week after graduation. They saw his resume online, wanted him, apparently didnt care about his poor GPA, and now he is living very comfortably and making 40k a year right out of college which is really decent. Im so jealous haha

gigglegirl

I think it could be important as stated above. I think you should of course try your best to keep it as high as possible. But you also have to have personality and interpersonal skills. I'm book smart and am riding into my final semester with over 4.0/4.5 possible GPA but my problem is that I come off shy at the beginning---interviews are so daunting and nerve wracking that I'd almost rather excel at the interview part so that if they like you and what you have to say, there's a greater chance they'll overlook a lower gpa. Its all in the presentation--believe me, I'm working on it!

Love Always Ivy

it all depends on what youre planning to do with your life. as stated above, if you have any plans of continuing further than undergrad, it is extremely important how high your gpa is. regardless though, you should always strive to be the best that you can be.

Beauty Mark

Also, if anyone is reading this and is scared crazy that their GPA isn't great, it doesn't mean the end of the world and that a graduate degree is totally out of the question. You may have to take an unconventional path (work a while, retake classes or take classes at the graduate level), but that kind of education isn't completely closed off to you because of your GPA

captodometer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark
Also, if anyone is reading this and is scared crazy that their GPA isn't great, it doesn't mean the end of the world and that a graduate degree is totally out of the question. You may have to take an unconventional path (work a while, retake classes or take classes at the graduate level), but that kind of education isn't completely closed off to you because of your GPA

Strongly second this. I easily got into graduate school with my less than 4.0 GPA. I didn't do anything but work and live an interesting life in between.

ratmist

If you have a less than spectacular GPA and you find graduate schools in the US aren't accepting you, you may be interested to know that if you choose to go abroad for graduate school, your GPA means almost nothing. The US GPA undergraduate system doesn't really apply abroad, and it's trumped by the fact that foreign universities really just want your overseas fees.

As an aside, you can completely fund an education abroad with US graduate student loans or via highly competitive special grants, though the GPA will matter in the extreme in regards to those grants.

xIxSkyDancerxIx

It's good to have a good GPA but like everyone else said, its not everything. Depending on your major something like work experience in the field itself can mean just as much, or more than your GPA.

Example.. I want to become a Vet, and a GPA is important to get into graduate school, but how many hours of work experience is just as important since books can only teach you so much.

ratmist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
A person with a higher GPA will be afforded more opportunities during their college education, like scholarships, internships, luncheons, invitations to events, all the more stuff to pad their resume and get their name out there.

Hmm, I have to disagree there. Anyone can apply for or attend all of those things you mention, irrespective of a high GPA. Very few events, luncheons, etc are closed events on college campuses. Getting an invitation isn't normally down to submitting your GPA to some committee. Furthermore, whether you get a scholarship, internship, etc isn't necessarily down to your GPA. There are usually far more applicants with perfect or extremely high GPAs than money available. Oftentimes, applicants with high GPAs get rejected because they haven't demonstrated enough extra-curricular activities or because of something random, like racial profiling (i.e. a scholarship fund set up specifically for black women, for example).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Going to college is not just about hitting the books, it's about learning how to network. Without a decent GPA, it is very difficult to get people to "open doors" for you.

Christ, this rationale is one of my pet hates. In general, in my experience (see below), there are two general kinds of "successful" collegiates: the ones that network like crazy and hope that the 'contacts' made will offset anything that may be less than stellar on paper; those that hit the books hard and do absolutely everything they can to maximise what they're learning, bulking up the GPAs in the process, scrounging for any internships or work experience that can build on the theoretical knowledge they gain in the classroom. It is very difficult to do both at the same time because there's only a finite amount of time.

soapbox.gif
I hate the GPA system in the States because what should be important is learning and retaining that knowledge, not whatever scores you may achieve in the process.

Often GPAs are meaningless to compare across numerous samples (i.e., from candidate to candidate) because many of them will have been curved to oblivion. This is why work experience is so important. We need to know what you've learned via how you've applied it. I've lost track of the number of American students that I've taught in the UK while they're on a year abroad, only to find they think they've learned all they needed in a previous class because they "took Philosophy" or "took Archaeology 101". Just because they took the course and achieved a high GPA doesn't mean they learned and subsequently retained anything. If I show them a simple trench and ask them to perform a Harris Matrix to describe the contents of the trench, despite having been quizzed on it endlessly in the States, they have no experience in applying it in reality. And they flounder, every time. No amount of networking will cover up that kind of gap in your knowledge.

-------
I went to college at 15 in the States, left for the UK at 17, got my bachelors, masters and I'm finishing my doctorate now at 26. All my qualifications except my high school diploma are from UK universities but I attended two years of college in Texas before I left, so I have a very good understanding of how it works on either side of the pond.

hrdruian

Not sure if this has been said, but it sometimes depends on your degree and field you are wanting to go into. i know that science fields REALLY look at GPA.

Dizzy

Everyone else has already beat this down, but just remember: you (or your parents) paid quite a sum of money for you to attend school; the least you can do for yourself (or them) is to do the best you possibly can since wasting the cash and the opportunity is absurd.

But on another note, if you really don't want to be at school, why are you? I'm not trying to be rude/condescending, but think about it- you're an adult (assuming you're 18+), why are you doing something that you said you don't want to do, just because everyone else tells you to?

I've found that a degree is something you have to want, because otherwise you'll resent everything- classes, the work required (which, depending on your major/s may be extensive), the networking required, etc.

For public/gov't agencies: it depends on the agency, where it is (depending on which state/territory) etc. If you really don't want to go to school, but want to work in gov't, why not get the 64 credits or equivalent experience and apply for Civil Service?

Addicted2Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FemmeBella86

This may sound silly, but my dad told me to get hired in Public/Government agencies they need your College diploma & your college transcript. Does that really have an influence on whether I get hired or not?

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

Your dad is right, at least in my experience. i work for the State Government and I needed to submit my transcript when I applied for the job. The good news is that they were looking at it to see what courses I took and if they were relevant to the position, they weren't looking at it to see the GPA.

I don't even put my GPA on my resume, and no employer has ever asked for it. I am an environmental scientist.

Dark_Phoenix

It depends... I think my situation contrasts ratmist's.

I went to secondary in the US, and junior high in the UK. I was a foreign student for both. I had to take the SSAT's (secondary school admissions test), and have three reccomendations to get in to my secondary school in the US. I had a 4.0 GPA (unweigted) throughout secondary, and took college classes in Arabic and Russian language and lit. Graduated a year early.

Got in to Cambridge, had to defer till this upcoming autumn for medical reasons. I have a full scholarship at Cambridge, so I'm thrilled. GPA mattered ALOT to the school, despite being a foreign student.

In my opinion, you should do the best you can do while still remembering that "in the real world" no one will give a damn what your GPA is. If you made a bad grade in the past, there's nothing you can do except work on your current material.

Latest posts