how lipstick can save your life!

NutMeg

The study mentioned in that article hasn't shown that wearing makeup improves balance. The only thing it has shown is that women who wear makeup are less likely to fall. It could easily be that having better balance leads to increased use of makeup. Or that both wearing makeup and good balance are linked to something else entirely, for example they talked about how women who wear makeup are more likely to have better posture. Maybe women who care more abou their appearance are more likely to wear makeup, and stand up straight, which leads to improved balance.

Sorry about the explanation, but I hate seeing bad science propagated in news articles.

gigiopolis

^ Oh yeah, I always read articles on the internet that try to imply some sort of cause and effect relationship between two things you would never associate with each other. It annoys me that the media attempts to sell more stories by confusing correlation with causation. =_=

XxXxX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatpea559
I agree... the relationship is probably spurious (gotta love intro. to sociology).

Wait til u take Social Psychology!
graucho.gif

Thanks for posting the article, but it is just a correlation.